new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-09-2010, 05:14

Default How much time to make a bow using templates vs. free hand?

Ok, so I make all my bows free hand. I see lots of posts about the templates that are sold on the internet and it seems that people are having success with them over hand folding. However, for me, it is painful to watch some of the videos as it seems to make most of the bows using templates takes a very long time versus hand folding. So my question is, if you use a template that you purchased how long does it take to make a pinwheel or twisted bow? Maybe the videos are just long because they are showing you how to do it. I watched one video that was 4 minutes and I could fold about 8-10 bows in that same time free handed.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 03-09-2010, 05:28

Default Re: How much time to make a bow using templates vs. free hand?

by hand, I have never gotten templates and when I watch videos or look at instructions it looks like it would just make it harder for me....
Old 03-09-2010, 05:33
Banned

I have to agree with Allison. I do them by hand and can turn them out really quickly that way. I have a friend with some templetes and it takes her longer to get them on and off than it take for me to finish a bow. However there are a lot of people out there that havent figured out how to fold by hand, so I have to say the templetes are still great.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:24

Well, I got the templates to learn how to do the less popular bows, but it did save me time in the folding of the twisted. I also can't imagine it being any faster for the pinwheel. When I was measuring out where to fold the bows and stuff freehand it seemed like it took so much longer than it does with the template. For example, I was actually timing myself the other day when I was making some twisted bows and I was pumping them out in 3 minutes--the folding, twisting, and sewing--that means if you add the time I use to line a clip and to glue everything on it would take like 6 min. Shoot, to me, a minute is a minute. When you're trying to pump out bows every minute counts because they all add up!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:29

Honestly, it takes me longer to use the templates...But I will never go back to hand folding!! My bows look perfectly fine when hand folded, I just like using them templates better.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:36

I was very interested in this too, thanks for posting this question. I've never purchased any templates before and was wondering how long it takes.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:53

I'm a newbie and I haven't quite perfected the technique. I'm also very impatient. For me it was taking about 15-20 minutes to do 1 bow because I was constantly having to pull here and tug there to make sure the loops were even when doing them free handed. I purchased the NBNG templates and I have to say, for me, it was life changing. I can get 1 bow out in about 3 min. Granted, I have to switch templates for different sizes but I printed the size charts and posted them for easy access. The size charts are also a cheat sheet because they tell you how much ribbon to use for different size bows. I'm just not as gifted as some of the ladies here and I'm definitely not patient enough to learn a free hand technique. The templates are well worth the money if you are anything like me.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:06

ive never hand folded bows but i am using the nbng templates and dont think i would want to do it any other way... the bows come out perfect and even everytime and honestly pinwheels, basic, tails out are done in seconds... the part that takes the longest is the stitching and if you are used to stitching your bows already it should be really quick for you
Sponsored Links