http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-01-2010, 12:40

Default Re: Twisted Boutiques are ruining my life :P

It is all about the angle of the front. It needs to be an X and the back needs to stay <---> . So when you're shaping the front, clip the back two pieces of ribbon with some extra alligator clips to keep them from making the x shape. Also, stitching is VERY important.

You need to have 3 or 4 stitches going down the ribbon. Start from the very bottom of the bow from the back side. end at the top with the needle finishing through the back. Here is what I mean when I say three stitches.
l
l
l
start at the bottom from the back so it goes:
up, down
up, down
up, down
with the needle/thread.

Hold the bow in one hand and pull up on the thread. it will crease perfectly. You use 4 stitches when you are using larger ribbon (1.5" and 2.25").

www.thequirkylittleboutique.com
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 12:44

I have a video on here somewhere. Let me find the video. It will somewhat show you the stitching.

here you go

www.thequirkylittleboutique.com
Old 03-01-2010, 01:05

I am having trouble with it too after purchasing my templates but I think I just need to play with it. I WILL NOT LET THE TWISTED WIN! I am taking in all this helpful information though. I think I'm going to be watching this video as I do it. Thanks for posting again. Great job with it!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:08

Here is another pictre with 7/8 ribbon...
The finished bow is 3" across
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 024.jpg (48.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 03-01-2010, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcpom02 View Post
It looks like you might be sewing it wrong for starters, see where the top is coming down? It shouldn't do that. I'm gonna go take a couple pics as I do it and I'll be right back. Give me 10 minutes!
I do see where the top comes down and that it doesn't look like it does in the pictures of how it is supposed to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcpom02 View Post
well, darnit my kids woke up so it might be awhile till I can get this together! But if you use a templete, do you put a pin in the center when you slide it off and twist it? It kind of looks like your loops are getting moved at some point. I also never use a gator bite, I find that just a regular alligator clip is good enough for me! I start twisting with just the pin in the center and once i get it almost complete I put the little clip on there and perfect it. On the back of your bow--before you sew--are the two ribbons going across (horizontal) completely straight across and not tilted one way or another at all? They need to be completely straight! Also you have to move the ribbon that match up with the ends together--if that makes sense?--you have to make sure that they are completely matched up, not off like they are in your pic. Those are the most important tips.
I do use the "no go" templates and I put a pin in the center, but my pin never seems to stay straight up and down when I'm trying to pull my loops...it's going off to one side or the other for some reason no matter how hard I try to keep it straight through the ribbon. When you say move the ribbon to match up with the ends do you mean those little "tails" have to stay "inline" with the ribbon loops? Thanks for the tips. I will try, try again. I hope that lightbulb goes off in my head soon because this is the most frustrating bow I have tried to make yet. I thank you and everyone for the help all the help you are offering.

Diane
Old 03-01-2010, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy74 View Post
It is all about the angle of the front. It needs to be an X and the back needs to stay <---> . So when you're shaping the front, clip the back two pieces of ribbon with some extra alligator clips to keep them from making the x shape. Also, stitching is VERY important.

You need to have 3 or 4 stitches going down the ribbon. Start from the very bottom of the bow from the back side. end at the top with the needle finishing through the back. Here is what I mean when I say three stitches.
l
l
l
start at the bottom from the back so it goes:
up, down
up, down
up, down
with the needle/thread.

Hold the bow in one hand and pull up on the thread. it will crease perfectly. You use 4 stitches when you are using larger ribbon (1.5" and 2.25").
Thanks Judy. I "thought" that was what I was doing but maybe I was doing it backwards. I've been known to be the Princess of Backwards. I'm right handed, my mother was left handed to this day I still do things the left handed way but with my right hand (I hold my scissors the wrong way, I iron from the wrong side of the ironing board, etc)...even if the instructions are for right handed people I turn them around in my head...I know it's strange but that's just me

Diane

Last edited by Diane Crafts; 03-02-2010 at 12:09.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:52

wow i was gonna find an old thread i started about the twisteds but this was right here...i just tried making one and here's what i got...i think it looks just like the pic in the tnt book but i'm probably wrong! anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twisted1.JPG (99.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-02-2010, 02:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPLKaryn View Post
Can you get a sharper angle on the front ribbons? I think that would help. It's really close though. Cute combination!

What size is the finished bow? Sometimes using a wider ribbon (or making a smaller bow) will help too.
It is 5/8's. I'm not terribly comfortable using the larger ribbons in my bows. :/ I'm 3/8's expert. But no matter how I angled the loops it just never looked right. It doesn't bend like those pretty ones do. For example www.spoiledmuch.com...

I mean there are some severe twists in there and look at the ends how they curve up like that! I want mine to look like THAT! This gal is uber talented!!!

Last edited by rainstorm9; 03-02-2010 at 03:02.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:36

That's a really pretty bow and I can see that my bow is NO way near a TTB since my loops go down like gcpom02 mentioned to me and I didn't even notice until she did . When I grow up I want to make bows like that one . Now back to seeing if I can keep my pin sraight through the ribbon and not going off to one side and my ribbon lined up and my x where it should be in the front and the back straight as an <---> And more importantly not turning things around

Diane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainstorm9 View Post
It is 5/8's. I'm not terribly comfortable using the larger ribbons in my bows. :/ I'm 3/8's expert. But no matter how I angled the loops it just never looked right. It doesn't bend like those pretty ones do. For example www.spoiledmuch.com...

I mean there are some severe twists in there and look at the ends how they curve up like that! I want mine to look like THAT! This gal is uber talented!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:34

These twisted ribbons are driving me crazy too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy74 View Post
I have a video on here somewhere. Let me find the video. It will somewhat show you the stitching.

here you go
Judy, I love your son, he is too cute. Thank you for posting the video. I just had a couple of questions for you.

How wide is the template you are using? and how wide is the ribbon? Does the size of template change when your ribbon changes or do you use the same template for all ribbon sizes?
Sponsored Links