ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-28-2010, 07:48

Default How do you attach clips to cotton beanies

I saw someone here post that they put button holes in their cotton beanies to attach flower clips too. I have tried atleast 15 times on one hat to do that!
NONE of them worked, thankfully I am only ruining 1 hat! LOL

The material keeps getting stuck. It is great on just cotton material but I guess it has something to do with the double thickness and the stretchyness of the hat?

I do not sew much. So need some help, please!

I usued to just glue on the flowers or the bows onto the hats, but I had a few people at a show say they would have loved to get some, but would have needed to wash them and couldn't with the flowers attached.

What else can I do, so that the flowers or bows, can come off the hat to wash them? I also have some curly puffs that I would like to get on some of the hats. So frustrated, now I remember why I don't sew hardly ever!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 02-28-2010, 08:13

Default Re: How do you attach clips to cotton beanies

I would just glue a tiny piece of ribbon glue at top of ribbon and bottom not in the middle so you can slide your alligator clips in and change them out-that's how I do my headbands and such. Or you could put a pin-back on the flowers/bows. Or, use the sticky velcro stuff. HTH

<>< Christy
my shop
Old 02-28-2010, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia23 View Post
I would just glue a tiny piece of ribbon glue at top of ribbon and bottom not in the middle so you can slide your alligator clips in and change them out-that's how I do my headbands and such. Or you could put a pin-back on the flowers/bows. Or, use the sticky velcro stuff. HTH
I have NO idea why I didn't think to do that!
Do you know if you can wash the ribbon on the hat or would the ink from the ribbon run onto the hat?

The pin backing would probably work though to, but then that means I have to go buy them! LOL

Thanks for helping!!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:24

I sew a button hole
Old 02-28-2010, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by briellasnana View Post
I have NO idea why I didn't think to do that!
Do you know if you can wash the ribbon on the hat or would the ink from the ribbon run onto the hat?
I would just use plain white ribbon or match the ribbon to the hat so it isn't noticeable. Or you can pre-wash the ribbon. Good luck!!

<>< Christy
my shop
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia23 View Post
I would just use plain white ribbon or match the ribbon to the hat so it isn't noticeable. Or you can pre-wash the ribbon. Good luck!!
Oh, good idea! IF I can't get this whole button hole thing down, I am going to try the ribbon!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsP.net View Post
I sew a button hole
I couldn't remember which member sewed in button holes!
I tried so many times to do this, but the material keeps getting stuck, I guess because of how thick it is and stretchy?

How do you get it to continue on, without just staying in one place? I am new at sewing.
It works great on just plain cotton material. I have an auto button hole maker on my singer machine.
I am using an all purpose foot, not sure if that is why. I have tried the tension in auto, all the way to a -3 and a +3 to see if any would work. It get half way down one side, then just sits in one place and build up a bunch of thread, one on top of the other!
Getting so frustrated! I am also stubborn and get mad at myself IF I can't figure out how to do new things!

If you have any suggestions to throw my way to try, I would really appreciate it! I have lots of beanies and 1 ruined one to keep trying on! LOL

I guess if I can't get this down, I will be glueing on ribbon. Probably easier too!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:59

Just a suggestion...I hand sew a little strip of matching ribbon on. The glue doesn't hold up that great in water and will more than likely come off.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar-leabowtique View Post
Just a suggestion...I hand sew a little strip of matching ribbon on. The glue doesn't hold up that great in water and will more than likely come off.
Oh, now that is even a better idea yet! I think I will just forget about the button holes, it is driving me crazy!

Thank you so much for sharing that!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:34

There is a buttonhole foot that you use with the automatic button hole function on the machine. You set the foot to the size of your buttonhole and then the machine should do the rest for you. Have you looked in your machine manual?

Wife to Rod and Momma to Tyreque, Ladaria, Raquel, Brayana, Destini, Jaleel, Makkiah, Taniyah and Cavelle along with my angel in heaven Angie and 85 foster kids who have left imprints on my heart
All Ribboned Out Remember Me Pillows to Remember your loved one whose far away
Sponsored Links