http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-28-2010, 01:23

Angry I am HATING ET Lite with flattened caps...what am I doing wrong????

I am so frustrated!!!! My caps yesterday were ruined. I am using flattened caps and they came out cloudy so I chalked it up to a) not allowing enough time for the mod podge to dry to the back of the image and b) not mixing the product perfectly. I admit, I was overly anxious so I'm sure I rushed through things.

So yesterday afternoon, I mod podged images to just a small group of caps. I let them dry overnight so they would for sure by dry by morning. Sure enough, they are dry and the images are secure. I mixed my ET Lite using a scale to ensure exactly the same amount of each part. I mixed exactly 2 mins like it says. I poured it on the caps, watched diligently to get any bubbles out. I even have a space heater in my craft room, which tends to get chilly, to ensure an appropriate room temperature. I watched those caps like a hawk. Now, I just checked them again - 5 hours later mind you - and it looks like tiny little "glitter" like speckles around the edges!! No cloudiness and no bubbles, but these tiny speckles - which I guess could be super tiny mini bubbles.

I swear, I want to give up!!! I don't know what in the world I am doing wrong. Is this more difficult with flattened caps? I love the way they look, but I swear I did not have this problem with the regular caps. Anyone have any advice? Especially those of you that work with flattened caps??
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 02-28-2010, 02:12

Default Re: I am HATING ET Lite with flattened caps...what am I doing wrong????

I only use flattened caps and I'm 99% sure it is a problem with the temperature. It isn't your room probably, it is the temperature of the ET. I did a batch of 100 this fall and not 1 had any cloudiness. I did some a month ago and they were a little cloudy. Someone here told me to warm the ET a little (put the bottles in warm water) and it worked like a charm.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:14

I agree with the et lite temp. I also put it in warm water before I use it and don't have any probs since!
Old 02-28-2010, 05:15

I have not used the ET lite because it just seems to be too much work. I use the Diamond Glaze and really like it. I have maybe thrown away 3 caps that didn't turn out the way i liked. For the most part I like the way they look, and it is much cheaper.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:27

I live in the South and used ET, no problems. I get stripes but I am positive this is from over coating the images. I put like 3-4 coats on!!! The ET was beautiful but I did notice tiny little bubbles around the edges that I had to get out with a toothpick. I think the other ladies are right, it's probably the temp. I have never used the regular caps. I would Diamond Glaze BUT it is not waterproof!.

Sue
Old 02-28-2010, 08:28

I think it's easier to make the flattened caps with it than regular caps. It does sounds like a temperature problem. But if you Modge Podge wasn't completely dry and somehow got mixed in with the ET Lite I guess that might make it cloudy.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:28

Thanks ladies. I'm going to give it all a try again tomorrow and try the "warming" up the ET Lite before I mix it. My craft room is in my finished basement, but of course it is cooler down there than in the rest of the house. I'm going to start storing my ET upstairs and then just make sure it's not cool before I mix it. Wish me luck!!! Thanks everyone for the replies!!!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:14

I just watched a couple of super videos on youtube on the making/casting of resins... looks helpful----check youtube
Old 02-28-2010, 10:21

not only the temp when storing can make a difference but like others said the temp when starting. also the temp in the room while drying if it is too cool will cause issues.

the resin work via chemical reaction and if its isnt right ... then the reaction wont work right either...

modpodge... I dont like it ... tried it once... clouded up... I use a spray sealer that is in a can similar to spray paint... you can get it at Walmart in the craft section... havent had a issue since
Old 03-01-2010, 09:24

thats what i use!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohegirl View Post
not only the temp when storing can make a difference but like others said the temp when starting. also the temp in the room while drying if it is too cool will cause issues.

the resin work via chemical reaction and if its isnt right ... then the reaction wont work right either...

modpodge... I dont like it ... tried it once... clouded up... I use a spray sealer that is in a can similar to spray paint... you can get it at Walmart in the craft section... havent had a issue since

Sponsored Links