New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
New products--hip girl clips
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-27-2010, 09:41
Default aaaahhhh bottlecaps!!

I am trying to prep bottle caps for my bows. I have never done this before but have read everything I can find on this forum and many others. I am having trouble getting the seals out of the caps. I have boiled them, set them on the coffee pot, and tried to just pry them out. Please tell me the easiest way for you to do this.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 11:10
Default Re: aaaahhhh bottlecaps!!

I would like to know this also.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:23

I just started making bottlecaps this month and have found boiling them and leaving boiling while removing the caps worked best. Some put them on coffee pot warmers and some put them in the freezer. I got an order of them in and NOTHING would get the seal out. I even prayed over them I was so desperate!!! The seals are still in those and I ordered more off an etsy site. LOL I love boiling them because after about 20 minutes, some of the seals just fall off on their own and you don't have to worry about residue and cleaning them afterwards.
I have learned....... that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel....
Old 02-28-2010, 06:56

if its the ones witht he white liners , i haven't found a way to get them out , the other ones i use the coffee pot plate.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:34

If you're just attaching them to bows, why not leave them in? I don't remove mine when putting on bows. You can't see the back anyway. I've never had one fall off with the seal in it. I only remove them for jewelry.
Boutique Bottle Cap, Scrabble Tile and Glass Tile Images

Old 02-28-2010, 09:21

OK - here is what has worked for me. My coffee pot is insulated, hence - I have no burner that actually gets hot under it! Strange!!! I did not know this until I tried to get off some seals!!! Anyhoo - I have a large griddle made my Presto that I use every Saturday morning to make pancakes. I plugged it in, turned the dial up to 325 or 350, let it get hot. then I take one cap and put it on the griddle and watch it - it only takes about 7 seconds or so. I can see the middle get kind of transparent and then it spreads to the sides. When it does, I pick it upwith a needle nose pliers, hold it with a hot pad mitten and pry the seal up with a tweezers I have for applying gemstones. Worked every single time. What I found is that I was putting them on the griddle for WAY TOO LONG and was getting a melted MESS!!!! I threw a ton away! It does not take long at all. Turn the griddle up, and watch for the change in the transparency, get it off and peel. Voila!
Curly Girls Designs...because hair deserves flair!
Sponsored Links
hip girl boutique LLC forum advertisement--pink-lily-wholesale