New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-26-2010, 04:15

Default heat n bond lite vs. iron on vinyl

This has been confusing me for the longest time. I've been using heat n bond lite for making cheer bows but sometimes they get stiff and someone suggested iron on vinyl. is there a difference and which one would be a better choice when making cheer bows. Thanks !
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 02-26-2010, 07:46

Default Re: heat n bond lite vs. iron on vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureGirl View Post
This has been confusing me for the longest time. I've been using heat n bond lite for making cheer bows but sometimes they get stiff and someone suggested iron on vinyl. is there a difference and which one would be a better choice when making cheer bows. Thanks !
My personal preference is the heat n bond. I normally fuse heat n bond to ribbon of the same color sequined fabric I plan to use then iron the ribbon to the fabric. After that I use a rotary cutter to cut the ribbon out. It always has worked well for me that way.

Most squads I have made bows for prefer to have their bows stiff. However, I too have heard about usuing the iron-on vinyl, but have never tried it. I have only used that for interiors on shoe bags for my daughters cheer shoes.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:07

If someone tries the iron on vinyl, I'd like to know how it goes! It's almost that time of year again! In fact, maybe I need to put some cheer bows up on etsy...maybe some people will be buying for try outs! YAY!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcks2001 View Post
My personal preference is the heat n bond. I normally fuse heat n bond to ribbon of the same color sequined fabric I plan to use then iron the ribbon to the fabric. After that I use a rotary cutter to cut the ribbon out. It always has worked well for me that way.

Most squads I have made bows for prefer to have their bows stiff. However, I too have heard about usuing the iron-on vinyl, but have never tried it. I have only used that for interiors on shoe bags for my daughters cheer shoes.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.
Thank you! but when you said cut the ribbon out do you mean that you entirely separate the sequin fabric from the ribbon that you used to fuse the two together?

I've been wondering because when it comes to doing 3 layer bows esp with sequins my bow becomes stiff to the point where it just looks odd. I've heard that iron on vinyl makes it more flexible but I'm not sure if I'm ready to stray away from heat and bond lite and experiement with it. If anyone has any experience with it though, please tell me how it goes! Tryout seasons are coming up
Old 02-27-2010, 03:19

What? You use heat n bond on cheer bows? I haven't ever made a cheer bow, but what is the bonding purpose.
Is there a reason you don't just use plain ribbon for bows?
Just wondering because someone had asked my daughter if she ever makes cheer bows, so I need to warn her if she makes them, she doesn't make them wrong!

Is the vinyl heatbond what people put onto aprons to make them water proof? I have been wanting to try to make a cute little apron, but would like the water proof stuff on them. I can't wait to be able to have my little grand daughter help her Nana bake!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by briellasnana View Post
What? You use heat n bond on cheer bows? I haven't ever made a cheer bow, but what is the bonding purpose.
Is there a reason you don't just use plain ribbon for bows?
Just wondering because someone had asked my daughter if she ever makes cheer bows, so I need to warn her if she makes them, she doesn't make them wrong!

Is the vinyl heatbond what people put onto aprons to make them water proof? I have been wanting to try to make a cute little apron, but would like the water proof stuff on them. I can't wait to be able to have my little grand daughter help her Nana bake!
I use heat and bond on cheer bows to bond all the different layers together. Yes I do use plain ribbon too and heat and bond would not be neccessary if i only had one layer of ribbon. But when you wanna make a three layer bow for example you want a 3" red ribbon on bottom then a different color on top of that you would use heat and bond lite to fuse the ribbon together. hope that this helps.

I still have no idea what vinyl heatbond does so I was wondering if anyone knew if it would work better on cheer bows when fusing 3 layers together to make your cheer bows less stiff.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureGirl View Post
Thank you! but when you said cut the ribbon out do you mean that you entirely separate the sequin fabric from the ribbon that you used to fuse the two together?

I've been wondering because when it comes to doing 3 layer bows esp with sequins my bow becomes stiff to the point where it just looks odd. I've heard that iron on vinyl makes it more flexible but I'm not sure if I'm ready to stray away from heat and bond lite and experiement with it. If anyone has any experience with it though, please tell me how it goes! Tryout seasons are coming up
What i do is iron the ribbon directly to the wrong side of the sequined fabric. Once that cools, I cut around the ribbon that is bonded to the fabric. Both layers stay together. Hope that makes better sense.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:58

I use iron on vinyl and have for the past 2 years. It's made such a big difference when layering bows because the bows aren't as heavy. I started out using it to fuse the sequins. This year I'm also using it to fuse a metallic fabric, then cutting a "ribbon" to make the bow. Hope this helps! (and iron on vinyl is also made by heat n bond!)

Katie
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg