http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-25-2010, 11:42

Default Help with bottle cap project for girls.

Ladies,

I am a girl scout leader and I am helping out our service unit with a campout. They want the girls to make bottle cap necklaces. I am trying to find the easiest way to do that without having product that only last about a week. The girls are kindergarteners thru high schoolers and they will only have about 20 mins. We are doing the washer with the magnets necklace to make things easier. I have made bottle caps with using the xyron sticker machine or mod podge then coating them with resin. What way do you think is easier? mod podge the cap and put the image on or use my xyron and have them pull it pastic off and stick onto the cap. I am afraid that the 5 yr olds would not be able to get that plastic off and align the sticker. Also, what would be the best way for them to coat the top. Resin is out of the question. Mod podge? Crystal lacquer? The other leader suggested the pop dots but they are expensive. Okay all you experts, I need help!!! LOL!!!

Sue
Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2010, 12:18

Default Re: Help with bottle cap project for girls.

I think given the time limits, you should consider the pop tops. Maybe the parents could pitch in on the cost? Another member suggested a product to make it super easy to stick the images on... check out this thread...
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/produ...ght=bottlecaps

Hope this helps!!! What a fun project for the girls!!! I PM'ed you about the images :-)
Old 02-25-2010, 07:19

I saw that thread and I am going to going to try that stuff! It sounds better than the adhesive. I am afraid the little girls will have trouble getting the backing off and placing the image on the cap evenly. That's why I think the mod podge would be better because the girls can work with it longer before it dries.

Sue
Old 02-25-2010, 07:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiof2 View Post
I saw that thread and I am going to going to try that stuff! It sounds better than the adhesive. I am afraid the little girls will have trouble getting the backing off and placing the image on the cap evenly. That's why I think the mod podge would be better because the girls can work with it longer before it dries.

Sue
I posted that thread and it is fantastic stuff! After I read this, I tried my own suggestion again about peeling the backing and then putting it back on before you punch it. I punched out 2 and they came off quite easily since they were loosened. The down side is, though, that once it's stuck, IT'S STUCK!! They wouldn't be able to move the image.

Don't have to many other ideas about how to do it, just wanted to stick in my 2 cents about the moving the image part.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:03

Our childrens church did these and all they did is let the kids decorate there paper and used glue to seal it. They are not glossy, but both of my kids are still holding up very well and it has been a month and a half so far.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:48

So you put the image on the bottle cap ahead of time and let the kids seal them? What did they seal them with? I was thinking that might be the way to go. Let them pick the image that is pre-punched with the thermoweb underneath. Then let the adult put in on the bottlecap and let the kids brush it with mod podge or put the pop top on top. Any other sealing ideas?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:49

Thanks Heather!!!! I read your thread and cannot wait to get that stuff. I went to Joann's today but they didn't have it so off to Michael's this weekend!!!! LOL!!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:47

Hi Sue, I PM'D you.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:42

Thanks Ladies! I think I am going suggest keeping it very simple. MP or sticker the image onto the cap and then MP over the top. Later we can add another layer of MP. It will be fine, I think!!! LOL!!
Sponsored Links