New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-20-2010, 11:14

Default Fabric and Felt Flower cut outs...QUESTION about the button center!!

So, of course, I'm in love with the fabric/felt flowers made with the die cuts. I finally bought a Sizzix flower die that I love, bought fabric and felt to coordinate, ran it through my Cuttlebug (they cut PERFECTLY..woo hoo!), assembled them and then.....thought...where am I supposed to attach the button center??

My flowers have holes in the middle, so what to do about the centers? I guess there must be die cut flowers that don't have a center punch out.

Anyways...HELP if anybody has ideas!!

Thanks!!

If this doesn't make sense...I can attach a pic.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2010, 11:24

Default Re: Fabric and Felt Flower cut outs...QUESTION about the button center!!

Maybe you can glue or sew a little round piece of felt or fabric at the base, and glue or sew the button on the top? Hopefully the hole in the middle is not bigger than the buttons you plan to use. Hope this helps!

My Etsy My Facebook
Old 02-20-2010, 11:26

Default Re: Fabric and Felt Flower cut outs...QUESTION about the button center!!

Here is my hole..sniff sniff!!
Old 02-20-2010, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonflyprincess View Post
Maybe you can glue or sew a little round piece of felt or fabric at the base, and glue or sew the button on the top? Hopefully the hole in the middle is not bigger than the buttons you plan to use. Hope this helps!
I thought about that Jenn. I guess I could just cut out rounds of the felt for a base and sew the button on through that. Just with all the layers, I hope it won't look funny.

Thanks for dropping into my dilemma of the night. Now...anybody want to tell me why my little baby boy keeps waking up tonight??
Old 02-20-2010, 11:47

LOL! I want to know the answer to that too. I also have a little baby boy who won't go to sleep without me laying beside him.

My Etsy My Facebook
Old 02-21-2010, 04:32

I just made these exact felt flowers. Let me see if I can explain what I did. I took a piece of stiff felt and cut a circle with my sizzix circle die. I think used E600 and attached that circle to the second flower layer. I think put E600 on the top flower layer and glued that to the circle. So my order was:

top flower
circle
2nd flower
bottom flower
circle felt pad

I am not familiar with buttons but from your post I gather that your button doesn't have the shank on the back. I'm assuming you want to glue the button on the top. If you want to do this then just put E600 through the hole in your top flower. The E600 would then be touching the 2nd layer which is the circle. That should hold it just fine.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:16

Well, as an update, I attempted to see how a flower might look in the center of these...not completely sold on it...I need opinions on what you think.

I'm thinking it looks too busy??

Old 02-26-2010, 02:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
Well, as an update, I attempted to see how a flower might look in the center of these...not completely sold on it...I need opinions on what you think.

I'm thinking it looks too busy??

I actually love that! I usually like things really simple, but I think that looks adorable together like that.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:38

How do get the fabric on the felt? I have the same diecuts and I have seen fabric mixed with the felt and I love it. But how do you make it not fray and stick on the felt? I usually put my flowers on a clip, so I glue the flower to the clip, then I save the felt hole circle cutouts. I glue them onto the clip and then put the button on, does that make sense?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniflower View Post
How do get the fabric on the felt? I have the same diecuts and I have seen fabric mixed with the felt and I love it. But how do you make it not fray and stick on the felt? I usually put my flowers on a clip, so I glue the flower to the clip, then I save the felt hole circle cutouts. I glue them onto the clip and then put the button on, does that make sense?
I actually double sided my fabric, using double stick fusible webbing. It makes the fabric stiffer. I also put Fray Block on the edges of the flowers, to ensure they don't fray. HTH!!
I think your idea of how to attach the button makes sense....I ended up gluing a strip of ribbon doubled up to the back and sewing through it for a test sample. I definitely am open to more ideas..thanks!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif