New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

View Poll Results: How do you spike it? (choose all that apply)
Snip & flame 71 48.30%
Snip & barrel of wood burner 27 18.37%
Wood burner 16 10.88%
Tack the middle w/ wood burner to fuse 9 6.12%
Leave flat & tie 18 12.24%
Stitch & Crease 60 40.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2011, 12:50

Default Re: Lets talk spikes

Got a lil' frustration at work today, think I'll go home and fuse some spikes!!! lol...
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2011, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendysbows View Post
I know this is an older thread but I was wondering...when you cut/burn the slits or v cuts in the spike stack, do you thread your bow's center through those cuts to the back of the spikes or just wrap them around the whole stack to the back?

Yes Wendy...at least that is how I do it.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:28

So do I understand that you can use the wood burner to burn into the sides of the ribbon at the middle to make it easier to tie and bunch. This seems like it would work great! If this is the case, I will have to invest in a wood burner. I use a cigarette lighter to seal ends but have not done anything else with burning.

This is such a great site - so glad I found it!!

www.MarcootBoutique.etsy.com
Old 11-19-2011, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcootBoutique View Post
So do I understand that you can use the wood burner to burn into the sides of the ribbon at the middle to make it easier to tie and bunch. This seems like it would work great! If this is the case, I will have to invest in a wood burner. I use a cigarette lighter to seal ends but have not done anything else with burning.

This is such a great site - so glad I found it!!

www.MarcootBoutique.etsy.com
I don't believe this is common practice, but it is how I do mine. As you can see by the poll above, most people snip & use flame to seal their spikes and sew and crease to make the spike stacks. IMO, it is easier to control. (and I am a control freak!)

Old 11-22-2011, 04:47

To do dove tails I fold the ribbon in half, cut at an angle and take a lighter to it. Its the fastest method. I have an almost 2 year old, wood burner tool stays stored and I do not use it. For me, it's just part of the process. I try not to focus on how long it take to do it. I want my bows perfect. If I'm making one bow, no biggee, but, pigtail bows, I am really picky. I want my measurements exact. I don't mind spikes. I cannot stand korker bows. And everyone wants them, lol (my thimble failed doing a korker and i ended up with a needle, dull end, halfway through my thumb! I couldn't make bows for a week!).
Old 01-12-2012, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
It took me awhile to get used to mine. I was scared of it at first but after a few burns I got used to it and now cannot do bows without it.
yeah i wasnt scared of mine,,, that was my mistake... i got several burns that i had to go to the er and get fixed up ... (yuck) but my worst one was i dropped it on my leg and my husband (like 10 feet away) heard it!!! ugh it literally sizzled i have a huge perm scare now right on my thigh lol.... but that was a like a year and a half ago im not that clumsy with it now
Old 01-13-2012, 11:48

Thanks for all the good advice. I love the spikes and can't wait to try all the things I read here!!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:23

I use my woodburner for everything. I think this weekend I'm going to try the flame method. I got one of the trigger lighters since I'm not good at a regular lighter LOL I'd burn myself all day with the regular one. I've only had one mishap with the woodburner, and it burned the carpet -- Glad we're going to pull that carpet up anyway.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
Sweet!!! I haven't bought one in awhile. I've been using the flick my bic ones since that is what my mini mart carries. They do kill the thumbs. I need to go get one of those. I've found that lighters work better than wood burners for getting the end of a korker piece.
I wear a rubber thumb tip when I use a lighter so it doesn't hurt and I can hold it longer. I used the longer lighters for a while, but I feel like I have more control with a lighter and they're cheaper. I get the Scripto Views from Walmart as they are easier (for me) to flick than Bic and rarely leave soot on the ribbon.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:55

I like the woodburner to seal the ends. I am teaching my daughter how to use it, and she can't do ity very straight, so I raided my husband tool box! I have her using a bracket (l shaped piece of metal) to make the dovetail cuts, and different sized washers (circle things that go on a bolt) to make the rounded edgesand a metal ruler helps make the straight cuts.
Get creative and don't be afraid of the woodburner, you'll get use to it!!!
Sponsored Links