Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

View Poll Results: How do you spike it? (choose all that apply)
Snip & flame 71 48.30%
Snip & barrel of wood burner 27 18.37%
Wood burner 16 10.88%
Tack the middle w/ wood burner to fuse 9 6.12%
Leave flat & tie 18 12.24%
Stitch & Crease 60 40.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2011, 03:25

Default Re: Lets talk spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Uh oh, I bet I confused both of you to the point of no return

No, it makes perfect sense! I think I might try making my tops & bottoms of the spikes a bit wider apart so my slit doesn't have any chance of showing...

I love doing it this way, it is so much faster. Try stabbing through the middle of your spikes next time. Smoosh it with something heat proof (like the bottom of a glass, etc) to ensure the melted layers touch when cooling & fusing together. You'll be amazed at how secure it is.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 04:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
No, it makes perfect sense! I think I might try making my tops & bottoms of the spikes a bit wider apart so my slit doesn't have any chance of showing...

I love doing it this way, it is so much faster. Try stabbing through the middle of your spikes next time. Smoosh it with something heat proof (like the bottom of a glass, etc) to ensure the melted layers touch when cooling & fusing together. You'll be amazed at how secure it is.
I definitely agree burning the layers together in the middle is very secure, you're absolutely right about that I just don't believe I have the precision to make the burned slits. I need more practice doing that. What tip do you use for those, if you don't mind sharing?
Old 03-06-2011, 02:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
I definitely agree burning the layers together in the middle is very secure, you're absolutely right about that I just don't believe I have the precision to make the burned slits. I need more practice doing that. What tip do you use for those, if you don't mind sharing?
Flip the stack over so the dark, melted ribbon isn't visible. Use a ruler, make sure it is perpendicular to your horizontal/center ribbon, and go for it!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
Flip the stack over so the dark, melted ribbon isn't visible. Use a ruler, make sure it is perpendicular to your horizontal/center ribbon, and go for it!
You have such confidence! lol I'd love to try it, but I'm a little gun shy
Old 03-06-2011, 04:26

Wow! What a great idea!! I actually have a love/hate relationship with my woodburner - I tried using it to make my dovetails and succeeded in fusing the ends together. I wish I could use it for that - the cut and burn method takes forever sometimes!!!

When I do my spikes, I sew them straight up and down, then I slightly cinch them - they still lay mostly flat. I usually use a modified pinwheel bow for my bottom bow on my stacked bows, so I think that helps everything lay a bit flatter.

I think I will try the woodburner trick on my spikes tomorrow!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:46

I lay all my spikes on top of each other, put a pin in the center, fan them out, clip the middle with an alligator clip, slide it into my gator bite and tie, perfect crease every time

Then I sew up the middle just to make sure none of the spikes can be pulled out

Krista
Old 03-09-2011, 01:33

I have done it both ways but I always cinch my spikes. I never thought about not cinching them. Shelley you really can't tell that much of a difference from cinching and non cinching. Both bows are gorgeous. I would guess when you don't cinch you don't have that much center bulk when you are stacking everything together in the end.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by khofkamp View Post
I lay all my spikes on top of each other, put a pin in the center, fan them out, clip the middle with an alligator clip, slide it into my gator bite and tie, perfect crease every time

Then I sew up the middle just to make sure none of the spikes can be pulled out

Krista
This is how i do mine too. Although sometimes I like to add more spikes and the crease does tend to be more bulky than i like. I may have to invest in a woodburner now
Old 03-09-2011, 02:41

I think the benefit of doing spikes with the woodburner method, is that the angles of the spikes don't get distorted when cinching them up. That drives me nuts. I will be doing my spikes this way from now on, but will separate them a bit more so I don't have to make the woodburner slit as long. I don't want it to be visible.

LOVE this method. It is so much faster & even for me.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleysmom View Post
Bought a woodburner months ago and used it like 3 times, lol. I need to get into using it more...

I am the same way....i thought i would use it all the time...but the lighter seems easier most days
Sponsored Links