New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-16-2010, 08:20

Default Help with clippies, please!

Ok, so my daughter and I were trying to whip out a bunch of applique clippies today. We have never made just clippies, so fun!

Anyways, we were using single prong alligator clips, with 3/8" ribbon.
It looked good, but on the lighter colors, like light pink and white, you could see the glue and alligator clip underneath the ribbon.

Are we just using the wrong brand of ribbon? We spread our glue paper thin and smooth too. I can't even remember where we bought this ribbon, Michaels, Walmart, or Hobby Lobby, is my guess!

Funny we make the ribbon lined clippies for the flowers and bows all the time and don't think twice about it being see thru!

I would LOVE to hear how you clippie gals, deal with the lighter colored ribbon for the applique clippies! OH also, do most of you use the single or double pronged alligator clips.

I sure like these appliques from quinnponders! Super cute!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 02-16-2010, 08:27

Default Re: Help with clippies, please!

I've heard that hobby lobby ribbon is not the best. I don't have issues with show through, just hot glue lumps. When I line alli clips and I need the ribbon to look pretty (ie not under a bow), I hot glue the end of the ribbon to the underside of the clip, then use fabri-tac across the top of the clip (smoother than hot glue) then hot glue in the "beak" and underside. Others use the double stick tape, too.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
I've heard that hobby lobby ribbon is not the best. I don't have issues with show through, just hot glue lumps. When I line alli clips and I need the ribbon to look pretty (ie not under a bow), I hot glue the end of the ribbon to the underside of the clip, then use fabri-tac across the top of the clip (smoother than hot glue) then hot glue in the "beak" and underside. Others use the double stick tape, too.
Hmmm, I have never heard of fabric tac. Is it a liquid glue?

I remembered, that I bought the white and light pink ribbon at Walmart. It doesn't look really thin, but it does show thru after glueing it on.
Where is the best place for a thicker ribbon for clippies, for the lighter colors?

Thanks shelley!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37

I have never had this problem at all. No lumps, no show through, anything. I always hot glue my clips. What I do is line a small amount of glue on the ribbon, add the clip, and then continue in small amounts of glue until the clip is covered. Lining clips is one of my fav things to do...I got 1500 of them to do for princessfancypants!! LOL!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeeshawebb View Post
I have never had this problem at all. No lumps, no show through, anything. I always hot glue my clips. What I do is line a small amount of glue on the ribbon, add the clip, and then continue in small amounts of glue until the clip is covered. Lining clips is one of my fav things to do...I got 1500 of them to do for princessfancypants!! LOL!
I have never thought to lined the ribbon with the glue! Too funny! I always line the clip and then put the ribbon on it. That is how my daughter showed me how, so that is how I have always do it now.

I will try this method. These appliques are just so adorable, then to see an ugly alligator clip under it, ick!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:55

Its less messy if you line the ribbon with a little glue, then add the clip to the ribbon. I wholesale my clips if you are ever interested. PM me!!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:06

I hot glue my clippies that I am going to attach a bow to and I use double stick tape for the ones I want plain or add an embellishment to.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryTB View Post
I hot glue my clippies that I am going to attach a bow to and I use double stick tape for the ones I want plain or add an embellishment to.
Can you see the alligator clip thru your lighter colored ribbons? Maybe I need to just find thicker ribbon? But how can you tell how thick it is, unless you rip them opened! OH< that store would be hating me! lol

Thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 09:12

I use hot glue to line my clips and I use only Offray and Schiff ribbon. Sometimes I can see the glue on the white, ivory and light pinks, everything else is fine. I don't use plain clips and the show thru is usually on the opening. The ends that show are pristine.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:30

was it a grosrain ribbon or a satiny?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg