New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-16-2010, 07:58

Default Question about starching...

Ok, so I am really new to the hairbow making. I'm really enjoying it. I have seen several of you talking about starching your bows. I'm wondering how you do this. I have seen some of you talk about baking it, sprayiing it on, dunking it... I'm a little overwhelmed. If someone knows of a step by step tutorial on this or would like to walk me through it I'd really appreciate it. It seems like they make much nicer bows and sturdier bows. Also what kind of starch do you use? TIA

Katie
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 02-16-2010, 08:41

Default Re: Question about starching...

I just lay all of my bows on a towel and then spray each one with regular heavy starch (like what you use to iron clothes with). I use to buy a stiffener spray from the craft store but it was costly and such a small bottle too. The heavy starch works great for me and if you are in a hurry for the bow to dry just pull out your blow dryer and it will be ready in no time!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:07

i just started baking & starching my bows. and its the best.
i followed a few steps that i read from a post.
one lady said she purchased these small glass bowls from the dollar tree store. these are helpful putting your surrounding loops in.
then i purchased stay-flo fabric stiffner. from winco.
and a spray bottle. put half fabric stiffner and half water in the bottle.
arrange your bows on a cookie sheet. bake at 275 for 20 min.
then spray bows with fabric stiffner. completly drench them. then put back in the oven for ten minutes. turn off oven for this step.
sorry im not that great at instructions. but i hope that helps.
it helped me. and im so thankful i had the help from the other wonderful ladies on this site!!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:46

Been making bows for 6 yrs and never starched one and have never had a problem???
Old 02-16-2010, 10:11

What about ribbon that has prints? Does starching and baking work well with them too?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillorenzo View Post
What about ribbon that has prints? Does starching and baking work well with them too?
i just recently started baking my bows and just recently started making korkers. and ive had no problems with prints. but i have read on here that some women do have problems with ribbon sometimes bleeding. so be careful when baking. i guess it could be the type of ribbon or brand. not sure though.
hth
Old 02-17-2010, 09:26

Been making bows for over twenty years and I haven't ever starched and I haven't ever had a problem. I wonder what the starch looks like a couple of months or years later because I know that starched items from the dry cleaners will yellow over time.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:43

I have my own funny way of doing my bows! I use half water and half Stiffy fabric stiffener in a spray bottle and spray that on my finished bows. I then set them on my heat register to "bake" for about 20-30 minutes. Works perfectly! I too had the problem of ribbon bleeding when I baked them in the oven. In fact, right now I have 3 heat registers covered with bows that are drying! lol

Lilysmama- I am curious about the small bowls- what do you do exactly with them?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:35

when making my layered boutique bows. i put the surrounding loops in the small glass bowls to bake. that way the surrounding loops hug the boutique bow when i put them together.
hth
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg