http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-18-2008, 12:07

Default No Slip Clips - Need Help

I've been experimenting with everyone's ideas of using different types of slip grips for the clippies. The only problem is, I can't decide which one I like the best. Here's a list of the ones I have tried. Please give me your opinion on which ones you like and why. I've been stressing about this for a few days now and would like to make a decision on what to use since it has delayed my bow making =( Thanks in advance!

1. Plastic Tubing - Pros: Very easy to use and easy to find. Got this idea from a fellow member here. No problems attaching since you just slide them through the bottom of the clip. Cons: Not sure if it holds too well compared to other slip grips and it is removable which can be dangerous if a child gets a hold of.

2. Foam - Pros: Easy to glue on the lined clip and will not fall off or tear off. Cons: It is a bit thick. Holds a little better than the tubing I think but not as well as the grip mat/liner.

3. Grip Mat/liner - Pros: Holds very well and comes in a variety of colors. Cons - I really have no idea how to attach it to the clip except for hot glue, but then it can peel off so easily =(

Is there another way to attach the grip mat/liner to the clip?

Okay any opinion, advice & help would be great!
Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2008, 12:15

Default Re: No Slip Clips - Need Help

I like the Duck Brand carpet tape. You can see ithere . It has adhesive on one side and is easy to cut/use. It's really inexpensive. If you want to try it I can send you some cuts.

~Bren
Old 02-18-2008, 12:32

I use velcrow for the no slip on my clippies. You can find it at walmart for about a buck for 1-2 yards of it. (the non sick velcrow) Hot glue in to place.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:46

I like to use velvet ribbon. It's easy and it works great!
Old 02-18-2008, 01:46

YEAH!! I just got my velvet in over the weekend. I am really wanting to try that. I have been using the duck brand rug-hold it stuff, but the stuff does wear off so I am looking for something different. I tried the soft side of the velcro. It held well but it was MESSY. It looked like my bows were growing black little hairs. It was shedding from being cut. I don't like the other side of the velcro since it pulls. I will let you know about the velvet.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:51

Everyone has such great ideas. I never thought of using the other stuff. Okay, gotta go try all of those now too
Old 02-18-2008, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyRYLI View Post
I agree, I haven't tried any of the others either, I definitely have to give it a try, specially the carpet one since it already brings adhesive.
Thanks for sharing your experience ladies!!
You still need to glue it in since it dosen't stick real well to ribbon. HTH
Old 02-18-2008, 03:07

I use the foam shelf liner( not the weave one, the solid one that looks like fun foam) I bought some white at Target for just under $6. It will make probably thousands of clips

I hot glue it.

I just started using it and it works great.

~*~Laura ~*~
Old 02-18-2008, 03:10

I had been using the self-adhesive shelf liner (bought at Wal-Mart, adhesive works OK but can be peeled off) and both sides of velcro (you can buy 1 inch wide self-adhesive Velcro at Michael's for $2 - it does not have to be glued, the adhesive sticks VERY well - just cut it into 1/4" strips, peel & stick).

I have pretty much switched over to velvet ribbon because it holds as well or better (in my opinion) and won't peel off. I use Fabri-Tac to glue on the velvet.

If anyone wants to try any of these I can mail it to you if you send me a SASE - just pm me.

MichelleB

Last edited by MichelleB; 02-18-2008 at 03:13.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommieze View Post
I use the foam shelf liner( not the weave one, the solid one that looks like fun foam) I bought some white at Target for just under $6. It will make probably thousands of clips

I hot glue it.

I just started using it and it works great.

I'm having a hard time picturing this type. If you can, can you post a picture of it. I might have to run out and pick some up tomorrow. I only have the weave one and it's hard to glue since the glue goes through.
Sponsored Links