http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-10-2010, 03:37

Default Woodburner frustration - how to cut/seal ribbon?

I did a search and read through all the old threads about woodburners, including the tutorial one, but the pictures aren't showing up, so it wasn't too much of a help...

I just bought a woodburner earlier this week, and I broke it out yesterday to try for the first time. I placed my ribbon on a cookie sheet, laid my metal ruler down over the ribbon where I wanted to "cut" it, and then ran the tip of my woodburner slowly over the ribbon. I used the tip that looks like an exacto knife. I can't tell you how much ribbon I wasted trying to get it to work. Half of the time it didn't cut through the ribbon all the way, and when it did, it didn't seem to seal the ribbon in an even, clean line. Am I missing a step? Using the wrong tip? There's another angle tip that came with the tool, it's not an exacto knife edge, but it is angled. Should I try that?

Help and advice greatly appreciated!

Stacie
Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2010, 04:18

Default Re: Woodburner frustration - how to cut/seal ribbon?

I wanna know too, I really want to get one since everybody seems to love theirs.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:33

I use the angled tip that isn't thin like an xacto knife. I just measure, put the ribbon on a block of wood and run the wood burner over the ribbon at whatever angle I need. I don't do it super fast but I have never had a problem. You do have to wait till it gets pretty hot though.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:37

I use the "other" tip. I put a glass pane from a picture frame I wasn't using on top of my self-healing cutting mat with grid lines printed on it. I measure my ribbon with the marks on the cutting mat, and just "freehand" cut the ribbon with the wood burner. Cuts like a knife through butter. If you move too slowly, the ribbon gets bumpy/burnt marks, and if you move too quickly, or try before the burner heats up enough, it won't cut all the way through. A little practice is all it took for me, and I just used scrap ribbon until I figured it out. Hope that helps!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by staciem View Post
I did a search and read through all the old threads about woodburners, including the tutorial one, but the pictures aren't showing up, so it wasn't too much of a help...

I just bought a woodburner earlier this week, and I broke it out yesterday to try for the first time. I placed my ribbon on a cookie sheet, laid my metal ruler down over the ribbon where I wanted to "cut" it, and then ran the tip of my woodburner slowly over the ribbon. I used the tip that looks like an exacto knife. I can't tell you how much ribbon I wasted trying to get it to work. Half of the time it didn't cut through the ribbon all the way, and when it did, it didn't seem to seal the ribbon in an even, clean line. Am I missing a step? Using the wrong tip? There's another angle tip that came with the tool, it's not an exacto knife edge, but it is angled. Should I try that?

Help and advice greatly appreciated!

Stacie
Do you know what temp your tool heats up to? I had one that heated up to like 600 and would always leave my ribbon brown and discolored and I could not cut well with it. I then got one that heated up to over 900. It seals and cuts perfectly. I love it!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08

I tried cutting and sealing with the woodburner, but I never liked the way it turned out. I bought a fancy glass cutting board and everything. Now, it's just sitting under my craft table collecting dust. LOL! Now, I cut with ribbons ends my scissors and heat seal the ends with the barrel of the woodburner. I do this with the V cut, straight cut and angled cut ends. I do use the angled tip, not the hot knife tip, to seal the ends of 3/8" ribbon ends on alligator clips. I cut and heat seal ribbon on alligator clips after I adhere the ribbon to the clip.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:14

I wanted to thank you all for your help and comments on this. It sounds like I might have been using the wrong tip, so I'm going to try the other angled tip today. Hopefully, that solves the problem!

You ladies are all wonderful. Thank you!

Stacie
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif