New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-02-2010, 02:48

Default what to buy.. beginner

Ok.. Since I am just starting out I only have 2 different ribbons. I am going this weekend to stock up on ribbon to learn how to make bows..
Besides ribbon what else do I need?
Can I get everything I need at a crafts store (Hobby Lobby)?

Old 02-02-2010, 02:59

Default Re: what to buy.. beginner

well are you going to be sewing your bows or using wire? If sewing get strong thread like upholstery thread which you can get a joanns not sure HL carries it, but i'm sure they do

Alligator clips...can be purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply
Ribbons Ribbons and more ribbons....i think your best bet would be to purchase on line from either http://ribbonandbowsohmy.com/ or http://www.theribbonretreat.com

also if you sign up for Ribbonand Bows newsletter they tell you when they have sales...same with the ribbon retreat....

HTH

Old 02-02-2010, 03:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Rachel* View Post
well are you going to be sewing your bows or using wire? If sewing get strong thread like upholstery thread which you can get a joanns not sure HL carries it, but i'm sure they do

Alligator clips...can be purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply
Ribbons Ribbons and more ribbons....i think your best bet would be to purchase on line from either http://ribbonandbowsohmy.com/ or http://www.theribbonretreat.com

also if you sign up for Ribbonand Bows newsletter they tell you when they have sales...same with the ribbon retreat....

HTH
Oh ok.. I've been scared to buy ribbon online, but I probably will! I think there is more of a selection!!
Thanks so much!!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:21

i would reccomend starting with a grab bag or something HLand hancock fabric has them for 2.00 (but look for the one with lots of GG not satin) and assortment of different sizes of ribbons for u to play with and see what works best for u....and basically the cheapest ribbon possible to play with and practice on since ur just starting u wouldnt want to blow ur $$$$ on ribbon until u get the hang of things,

JMO but try the wider ribbons also they are easier to work with and control rather then the 3/8 (which can be used to line clips)

Good luck learning and have FUN!!!

If your gonna be so quick to invoice! Be Quick to SHIP! - EXPECT HONEST FEEDBACK FROM ME!!!
& Dont worry, Retaliatory Feedback DOESNT SCARE ME!!! Im a Buyer NOT a seller! Just Sayin!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hair_bling_boutique View Post
i would reccomend starting with a grab bag or something HLand hancock fabric has them for 2.00 (but look for the one with lots of GG not satin) and assortment of different sizes of ribbons for u to play with and see what works best for u....and basically the cheapest ribbon possible to play with and practice on since ur just starting u wouldnt want to blow ur $$$$ on ribbon until u get the hang of things,

JMO but try the wider ribbons also they are easier to work with and control rather then the 3/8 (which can be used to line clips)

Good luck learning and have FUN!!!
Thanks so much! I probably would've gone and bought the expensive stuff
Old 02-02-2010, 03:49

those 2 mentioned companies are great! I've bought several times from both....love them....

Old 02-02-2010, 03:51

Quote:
those 2 mentioned companies are great! I've bought several times from both....love them....
Thanks I've got abunch picked out for later. I think I am going to buy a bag of ribbon from a lady on here first though to make sure I can do it!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:55

Quote:
Your website is adorable btw!!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:12

Yes, and most the time Hobby Lobby has their ribbon 1/2 off. BUT becareful which kind you get. Most of their solid color is so flimsy its hard to work with. Their patterned ribbon is a little better. They do have alligator clips and french barretts their and they are cheaper than at Michaels. And sometimes those are on sale as well...if you sign up for Hobby Lobbys email list you can get a 40 % off coupon...

Michaels, Hancocks, Wal Mart and Joannes all have Offray brand ribbon. Which is WONDERFUL because it isnt flimsy at all. Its a bit pricier than HL but I know at Michaels you get more yards. More for more money basically. And SOMETIMES, very rarely its onsale. Michaels clips are way more expensive and they normally dont have alli clips.

Its better to order wholesale online. But I know, if you want it now, you want it now!!! LMAO Hope this helped!!! If you need anymore questions answered just ask!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebug*sbows View Post
Yes, and most the time Hobby Lobby has their ribbon 1/2 off. BUT becareful which kind you get. Most of their solid color is so flimsy its hard to work with. Their patterned ribbon is a little better. They do have alligator clips and french barretts their and they are cheaper than at Michaels. And sometimes those are on sale as well...if you sign up for Hobby Lobbys email list you can get a 40 % off coupon...

Michaels, Hancocks, Wal Mart and Joannes all have Offray brand ribbon. Which is WONDERFUL because it isnt flimsy at all. Its a bit pricier than HL but I know at Michaels you get more yards. More for more money basically. And SOMETIMES, very rarely its onsale. Michaels clips are way more expensive and they normally dont have alli clips.

Its better to order wholesale online. But I know, if you want it now, you want it now!!! LMAO Hope this helped!!! If you need anymore questions answered just ask!
lol!!! Yes, I want it NOW!! Hehe.. I will probably buy some to practice with and buy the better ribbon wholesale!