printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-15-2008, 09:22

Default uurrgghhh crochet

I really want to do this, I watched the video so I thought I would get some yarn and hooks went to walmart and bought a set...Instructions, hooks and some other doohicky's I just don't think I get it the slip seems the same as the single.. haven't tried the double it just looks like a bunch of frickin knots....
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2008, 10:44

Default Re: uurrgghhh crochet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroberts324 View Post
I really want to do this, I watched the video so I thought I would get some yarn and hooks went to walmart and bought a set...Instructions, hooks and some other doohicky's I just don't think I get it the slip seems the same as the single.. haven't tried the double it just looks like a bunch of frickin knots....
Ok, I can't help much, but I'm going to try. I crocheted a little bit when I was younger & just picked it back up after reading a few posts on here & another craft board. Anywho, I've been watching the videos as well. The slip stitch doesn't involve wrapping the yarn over the needle once you pull it thru the whole. When you do a single crochet, you push the hook thru, wrap the yarn, pull it thru & then wrap the yarn over again before you oull it thru the other loop on the hook.

I'm sure that was clear as mud. I also just bought some stuff at Wally World and am trying to make a beanie hat.

Good Luck

CraftyCritter
Old 02-15-2008, 10:56

well I am getting a little bit of a hang of it...I thought i was doing ok so I deided to try the circle....I'mgoing back to straight for now...who knew there were so many stinkin stitches?????? the video is better than the book, it sucks!!! Thank you Judy for posting it!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroberts324 View Post
well I am getting a little bit of a hang of it...I thought i was doing ok so I deided to try the circle....I'mgoing back to straight for now...who knew there were so many stinkin stitches?????? the video is better than the book, it sucks!!! Thank you Judy for posting it!!!
Yeh, that circle is a mess. I know I messed up on my count with this circle some how. It'll give my hat some character.
CraftyCritter
Old 02-15-2008, 11:09

You are so smart to practice first in a straight row. This way you'll get the hang of how the hook feels in your hand and the motion involved. It's like you have to train you hand to do what you want it to do. Just like when you first learned to type...it was awkard but now it is easy and your fingers just know what to do. Also to crochet in a circle the stiches kind of get lost at first but once you are familar with how the single chain looks, how long the stich is etc. then you'll be better able to see the actual stich in the round. You'll be there in no time!

Have fun!

Leslie

What size hook are you using? G and H are pretty standard but sometimes a larger one helps....like K, L or P But not those huge fat ones (like a Q or something) they are really weird and hard to hold.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:56

I just want to add that if you decide to do a lot of crocheting in the future, I recommend getting better hooks. I started out with the cheap ones from Walmart and it was a mess. I got Clover Soft Touch hooks and they are awesome. Ugly but awesome

CLOVER SOFT TOUCH CROCHET HOOK SET C-J 2.5mm to 6.0mm - eBay (item 190197664136 end time Feb-16-08 17:30:09 PST)

You can also find them at Joann's

My online store:

Old 02-16-2008, 08:11

Thank you ladies, my eyes were crossing so I went to bed at 10. I was getting better but I think sleep erased my mind, I will have to have a refresher today. I didn't get plastic but I really like the look of the two recommended, Thank you. Training your hands......I felt like I had 16 fingers on each hand and on top of that I couldn't keep the yard thread through my fingers like your supposed too. I can't wait to post a pic of the first thing I make....10 years from now.LOL
Old 02-18-2008, 12:11

I love the videos here

~Bren
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg