Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-27-2010, 10:42

Default Re: Skinny headbands

Thanks! So did you leave the stem in or take it out? I ended up just pulling the whole thing apart so I just had the petals. Took the clear things out too so the shape of the flower turned out differently.
Now I want to try dying some .. how much is the dye? I feel like I want to paint on the elastic or do something else with it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6011a.jpg (91.1 KB, 126 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 10:52

Yeah I took everything out. Here's my little green one but I haven't attached it to anything yet.

The RIT is less than $3 at Walmart or JoAnn's. I bought the liquid. I need to go get the lt pink upstairs and inspect it because it is soooo light. I'm just not sure why it didn't take as well because it was only 55% polyester and my brown one dyed better and it was more I think but in the pan it was pretty dark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenflower.jpg (306.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 02-27-2010, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_stinkypants_mom View Post
Yeah I took everything out. Here's my little green one but I haven't attached it to anything yet.

The RIT is less than $3 at Walmart or JoAnn's. I bought the liquid. I need to go get the lt pink upstairs and inspect it because it is soooo light. I'm just not sure why it didn't take as well because it was only 55% polyester and my brown one dyed better and it was more I think but in the pan it was pretty dark.
Hmmm...I bought the powdered Rit and it worked pretty good. I wonder if there is a difference between the powder and the liquid?
I tossed the box my elastic came in...so I cannot remember how much polyester was in it. I know it was Singer 1/4"
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
Hmmm...I bought the powdered Rit and it worked pretty good. I wonder if there is a difference between the powder and the liquid?
I tossed the box my elastic came in...so I cannot remember how much polyester was in it. I know it was Singer 1/4"
I wondered that too in regards to powder vs. liquid. I know the brand of elastic I bought today was different than what I used for the brown. Maybe I'll try to pick more up tomorrow and try to see if that made a difference. I may actually have some here somewhere
Old 02-28-2010, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarcheergirl View Post
Do you just measure it out and then sew the 2 ends together?

Exactly what I did.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:40

Ok, just FYI: do not use the Dritz braided elastic to dye-that's what I used on that pink and it hardly dyed. I had some stretch rite and threw that in and it was like a fuchsia pink within 2 minutes! Worked much better!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:35

how is everyone attaching the flowers to the elatic? sewing & gluing them? Thats what I've been doing but I'm wondering if I'm doing it right? Would love to hear what others have tried? Maybe even some photos of the backs of your flower pieces that attach to the headbands. TIA
Old 03-01-2010, 10:09

To attach the flowers I actually cut a round piece of felt that matched the flower to help it stay. First I used e6000 to close up the elastic because its too skinny to sew--for me anyways--then I tried attaching the flower to the elastic with the same glue. Didn't look so great. So them I grabbed a piece of felt put hot glue all over it and attached it so it completely covered the elastic and bottom of flower. Looks great now. I hope you understand what I'm saying because I don't have any pics...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:20

Oh that sounds great now where can I find this felt stuff your talking about? I'm currently sewing my elastic, then I sew on a 1/2 inch of 3/8 gg ribbon to cover up the elstic stitching and neat'n it up a bit. The I sew the bottom layer of the flower bloom petal to the band but I hide my stitches when I sew it on. Then I glue the flower together and embellish it. Yeah I know a ton of work lol now you can see why I'm asking all my questions. I need to streamline this so I can get these babies made and sold lol.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaMay09 View Post
Oh that sounds great now where can I find this felt stuff your talking about? I'm currently sewing my elastic, then I sew on a 1/2 inch of 3/8 gg ribbon to cover up the elstic stitching and neat'n it up a bit. The I sew the bottom layer of the flower bloom petal to the band but I hide my stitches when I sew it on. Then I glue the flower together and embellish it. Yeah I know a ton of work lol now you can see why I'm asking all my questions. I need to streamline this so I can get these babies made and sold lol.
okay on mine I had covered the elastic too, but after adding the felt I realized that it didn't matter because you don't see it after you cover it with felt. The felt I used it from Joanns off the bolts, but you might be able to use the sheets of felt from Joanns?!? I just hot glued all my petals together so I knew they wouldn't come apart, then I hot glued it on the elastic as like a "stay put for the moment". Then I cut out a cirlce of the felt, put hot glue ALL over it and just slapped it on the bottom of the flower. It ends up covering the sewn part of the elastic as well as the bottom of the flower. It looks nice and clean and since its all fabric like I wasn't worried about using hot glue because I know its strong on that.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies