http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-24-2010, 11:44

Default Re: Skinny headbands

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchofbows View Post
I got the elastic from Wal-mart. It was $0.97 for 4 yards. 1/8 soft knit elastic.
Do you just measure it out and then sew the 2 ends together?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 11:40

what type of elastic is best for dying? knit or the polyester?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:25

okay check out my listing on etsy to see what I came up with. I tried posting pics but they were oversized and to be honest I'm too lazy right now to resize! lol. Sorry. Anyway, I used 1/8" elastic from Joanns for $.39/yrd. and flowers from HL.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ef=fb_itemlist
Old 02-27-2010, 12:43

FINALLY was able to tackle this!

I dyed my elastic which I bought on a quick trip to Fred Myers..ha ha! I had this headband on my brain and was determined to give it a go. Bought a small pack of Singer 1/4" stretch elastic and a box of Petal Pink Rit Dye. Followed the others in the 4 cups of hot water bath. You can easily make different shades of pink just by how long the elastic soaks. I don't see any white when I stretch it and think it looks pretty darn good.

Bought the flowers at Michael's and did the felt circle thing on the back. I love these!!

Old 02-27-2010, 01:33

Looks good Scoots!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:27

Quote:
I got the elastic from Wal-mart. It was $0.97 for 4 yards. 1/8 soft knit elastic.
I should've just gone there. I went to Joanns and got some for $0.39 per yard for both the 1/8" and 1/4". There were a bunch of different kinds and they had white, cream/khaki, and black. I got one 1/8" that said "soft stretch baby elastic", one 1/4" "knit elastic" and one 1/4" "braided elastic". They had some flowers there too, not sure if it is the kind you all are getting? I think they were called flower bushes and they're 1/2 off right now for their 3 day sale. I got 2 big bouquet-type things with a bunch of little flowers for $2.50 each. (See attached pics). Will these work? Do you just pull the flower off and glue it on the elastic, and do you just sew the ends of the elastic together? I saw some flowers that seem to be attached to a stem so would I just cut it off as close to the stem as possible, but it wouldn't really work to glue the little stem to the elastic would it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5977a.jpg (99.8 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5981a.jpg (92.8 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by allstarcheergirl; 02-27-2010 at 07:44.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:37

[QUOTE=allstarcheergirl;461310]
Quote:
I got the elastic from Wal-mart. It was $0.97 for 4 yards. 1/8 soft knit elastic. [/QUOTE]

I should've just gone there. I went to Joanns and got some for $0.39 per yard for both the 1/8" and 1/4". There were a bunch of different kinds and they had white, cream/khaki, and black. I got one 1/8" that said "soft stretch baby elastic", one 1/4" "knit elastic" and one 1/4" "braided elastic". They had some flowers there too, not sure if it is the kind you all are getting? I think they were called flower bushes and they're 1/2 off right now for their 3 day sale. I got 2 big bouquet-type things with a bunch of little flowers for $2.50 each. (See attached pics). Will these work? Do you just pull the flower off and glue it on the elastic, and do you just sew the ends of the elastic together? I saw some flowers that seem to be attached to a stem so would I just cut it off as close to the stem as possible, but it wouldn't really work to glue the little stem to the elastic would it?

I love the white and green ones! I'll have to stop by and get some while they're on sale!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarcheergirl View Post
lol i just got back from there and bought both of those same exact flowers! I am trying to dye some pink elastic now-I think I saw the white in the brown from it being so dark, but it's not as noticeable in a lighter dye
Old 02-27-2010, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_stinkypants_mom View Post
lol i just got back from there and bought both of those same exact flowers! I am trying to dye some pink elastic now-I think I saw the white in the brown from it being so dark, but it's not as noticeable in a lighter dye
lol how funny. Those were pretty much the only $2.50 ones I liked. There were some like the pink one in different colors but they were $5. The purple was really pretty though. I wish I could have gotten a little bit of each color lol b/c the pink one has like 3 separate little bunches.
How did you get the white/green flowers off? There's a little stick thing with the center, and the whole flower falls apart if I try to pull it out. But how do I attach the flower to the elastic with the little stick still on it? And I just realized .. are you all gluing the flower on or sewing it?
Here's a picture of my first attempt. Not ready to try dying elastic yet lol so it's just a plain black piece. I like thinner headbands but wow the 1/8" is extremely thin, not sure how to work with it. This ones 1/4"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5988a.jpg (71.3 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by allstarcheergirl; 02-27-2010 at 08:51.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:18

Cute! I tried to dye the light pink and it's very light so I'm not sure what I did because it shouldn't be that light.

I haven't tried to get the green flowers off yet because I can't get off the computer, but I have some other flowers that have that and I just use a wire cutter to cut the stem right under those little spike things so that it just slides out and doesn't rip the petals or anything.

Ok just tried it quick-all you have to do for those is use your wire cutter and cut the bottom so that the little pad part thingy comes off-then you can just slide the flower off. I had to do it in 3 parts though because there are the clear pad thingy's hiding in there too. Make sense?
Sponsored Links