Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-14-2008, 11:54

Default Bow Onesie

OK sewers, I made a bow onesie tonight, and it came out nice, but when i measured the ribbon to go across the onesie, when i sewed it across it came up short...dont know if this is silly, but does anyone cut the onesie down the side seam before they sew the rbbon on and then resew the seam up....i want to start selling these as a gift set with a matching hair bow...especailly with the warmer weather coming.....thanks girls.....happy vday
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:44

Default Re: Bow Onesie

I just attempted a tshirt. I hand sewed because I just really didn't want to get the machine out...But I ripped the seams then put one side of ribbon inand sewed it in, I did the other side the same way, then I sewed the top and bottom of the ribbon down, Now this did not work...
I have puckers and on top of that I was lazy and didn't fuse the ribbon down so it is a wave instead of a straight line.
So what I learned, prewash ribbon, fuse to shirt before sewing, do not sew seams until top and bottom of ribbon are sewn down, Oh and don't be lazy GET THE MACHINE!!!

I'm going in again this weekend to try another...wish me luck.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:30

I can't sew so I am no help but I just wanted to say that the gift set idea sounds wonderful! Please post a pic when you are done!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:35

ok what is fuse...lol
Old 02-15-2008, 01:00

Definitely try some heat-n-bon! Knit is notorious for being stretched a bit by the feed dogs of your machine as it's sewn. Makes it seem like your ribbon 'shrunk' but it was actually the knit stretching. If you know how (and it's not a lot of trouble) you may want to loosen your presser foot tension just a bit so the feed dogs don't stretch the material as much.

This is why sergers are usually used to sew knits - regular machine pressure tension can be too much and stretch stuff all out of whack.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:06

ok i seen a page in my instruction book to loosen the pressure....if i do that, should i also use the heat bond, or either or...and one last questions, what is the proper way to rip the seams, i dont have a seam ripper is there another way to do it.......thanks ladies....oh wait, and when i so the seam back up withthe ribbon pulled through, can i do a straight stich because thats all i know right now....lol
Old 02-15-2008, 01:15

wow I love this site. I can't come here and not learn. I did a straight stitch but I was hand sewing. I also learned the hard way about not cutting ribbon until after sewing...One more question if I may, when you sew your ribbon should you sew the same direction on top and bottom or does it matter?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:37

I have been making these for 3 years now and I do not rip open the seam because I have found it makes is bulkier for a baby--I just fold the ribbon under and I also do not fuse the ribbon I just use lots of pins to hold it in place when sewing it on the machine. Just another option to try!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole26 View Post
I have been making these for 3 years now and I do not rip open the seam because I have found it makes is bulkier for a baby--I just fold the ribbon under and I also do not fuse the ribbon I just use lots of pins to hold it in place when sewing it on the machine. Just another option to try!
can you post some pics that would be great and when you say you fold it over what do you mean, at the side where the onsie seam is....
thanks
Sponsored Links