5/8" polka dot grosgrain ribbon
Hip Girl Boutique It's a girl grosgrain satin ribbon collection
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/200pc-crochet-headband-combo.jpg

hip girl boutique grosgrain mini bow tie single prong alligator hair bow clips for baby infant new born women girl adult

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/hair-bow-holder-craft-show-display-180.jpg
New products--Crochet headbands

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-27-2010, 09:10

Default Re: All the bottle caps I made yesterday are RUINED!!!!

It will help out tremendously if you seal the images first. You can do it with either Mod Podge or a spray laquer (like a clear gloss). You need to seal the back and let it dry. Then seal the front and let that side dry. Punch out your images as normal and then attach them to the cap. It is usually helpful to then seal the sides of your images. If you use mod podge then get some on a toothpick to trace the sides (helps to keep the resin from seeping under the image). If you use a spray sealer then just lay them all out on something like cardboard, take them outside and give them a good spray. Let them dry completly before resining!

Hope that helps,

Cristi
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2010, 09:13

The term "professional" wasnt meant to offend or down anyone elses technique and if it came of that way I apologize. Many people do bottlecaps many different ways. Some people dont resins on the caps and that fine. I was just indicating that I like the use of the ICE resin and the glamorous touch and it may be an option instead of ET.

Also making sure they are completing dry with modge podge or other sealants before adding resins like the other ladies stated is very important. Give it another try....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbles View Post
Not sure if this is the correct "professional" way, but I use modge podge to set my image in the inside of the bottlecap and after that has dried I seal it with a spray laquer. So far, no problems, but I will admit I have only been making them for a few months

Last edited by njgrl74; 01-27-2010 at 09:19. Reason: typo
Old 01-27-2010, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by designsbycristi View Post
It will help out tremendously if you seal the images first. You can do it with either Mod Podge or a spray laquer (like a clear gloss). You need to seal the back and let it dry. Then seal the front and let that side dry. Punch out your images as normal and then attach them to the cap. It is usually helpful to then seal the sides of your images. If you use mod podge then get some on a toothpick to trace the sides (helps to keep the resin from seeping under the image). If you use a spray sealer then just lay them all out on something like cardboard, take them outside and give them a good spray. Let them dry completly before resining!

Hope that helps,

Cristi
So can I use the clear latex finish that I use on my bow holders. Its called Krylon Low Odor Clear Finish and its in a spray can. Do I use something like that after they are on the bottlecaps? As far as mod podge... how do you do it? Use a paint brush?? Won't I get the lines then??? Thanks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgrl74 View Post
The term "professional" wasnt meant to offend or down anyone elses technique and if it came of that way I apologize. Many people do bottlecaps many different ways. Some people dont resins on the caps and that fine. I was just indicating that I like the use of the ICE resin and the glamorous touch and it may be an option instead of ET.

Also making sure they are completing dry with modge podge or other sealants before adding resins like the other ladies stated is very important. Give it another try....
I don't think you offended anyone.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:42

OOOhh...not the least bit offended!!!! No worries.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:51

I like to use ice resin, ET is a pain in the neck
Old 01-28-2010, 11:08

Someone told me to use clear nail polish to seal my image and so far it has been working for me.

I then use 3D Crystal Laquer or Sun and Moon's Scrabble & Glass Glaze.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:17

I agree with Christie, but use a paintbrush to smear the modge podge on and when you put the et on, it will self level and fill the brush strokes up.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailes View Post
I agree with Christie, but use a paintbrush to smear the modge podge on and when you put the et on, it will self level and fill the brush strokes up.
Should I wait for the mod podge to completely dry? What is the purpose of the mod podge before the ET?
Old 01-28-2010, 04:40

Just a couple suggestions for the et lite. If your basement is a little cooler that can cause some issues with it. I would do it in your living area or put a little space heater down there to warm it up a bit. I mix mine in a little medicine cup & do about 20 ml at a time (total). I pour & then make sure everything is apread out to the edges until my cup is empty. After I am finished with that I go back over them with a lighter for the 1st time. I usually am doing a ton when I do them so I repeat this on the next section of caps & when I go over them with a lighter I do all of them on the sheet. I would say I probably use the lighter 3-4 times over about an hour to an hour and a half. One thing I have learned with et lite is if you do the lighter too soon after you pour you can end up with little micro bubbles coming up several hours after you pour. So you need to make sure you let them sit for a bit before you do the lighter the 1st time.
I have tried all sorts of different resins over the last couple years & can't find one that I like better than et lite. It does take some practice to get it correct & figure out a way that works for you. I still have a couple caps per batch that don't turn out right & I have been doing this for a few years. I would suggest to do some smaller batches the first few times so if you have troubles you don't lose too many caps.
I also like to do mine in the evening & then I can watch them over the next couple hours with no kiddies around to get into them. I put mine in the oven so they are undisturbed when I go to bed. If I am needing to get them finished to send in the am I warm the oven a little & turn it off & put them in before I go to bed. They are cured by morning time. I would not suggest using the oven to cure them until you are very comfortable with getting them finished though as the oven can cause more bubbles if they aren't degassed completely.

Sorry this turned into a novel. Hope it helps!!
Beth
Old 01-28-2010, 06:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmombeth View Post
Just a couple suggestions for the et lite. If your basement is a little cooler that can cause some issues with it. I would do it in your living area or put a little space heater down there to warm it up a bit. I mix mine in a little medicine cup & do about 20 ml at a time (total). I pour & then make sure everything is apread out to the edges until my cup is empty. After I am finished with that I go back over them with a lighter for the 1st time. I usually am doing a ton when I do them so I repeat this on the next section of caps & when I go over them with a lighter I do all of them on the sheet. I would say I probably use the lighter 3-4 times over about an hour to an hour and a half. One thing I have learned with et lite is if you do the lighter too soon after you pour you can end up with little micro bubbles coming up several hours after you pour. So you need to make sure you let them sit for a bit before you do the lighter the 1st time.
I have tried all sorts of different resins over the last couple years & can't find one that I like better than et lite. It does take some practice to get it correct & figure out a way that works for you. I still have a couple caps per batch that don't turn out right & I have been doing this for a few years. I would suggest to do some smaller batches the first few times so if you have troubles you don't lose too many caps.
I also like to do mine in the evening & then I can watch them over the next couple hours with no kiddies around to get into them. I put mine in the oven so they are undisturbed when I go to bed. If I am needing to get them finished to send in the am I warm the oven a little & turn it off & put them in before I go to bed. They are cured by morning time. I would not suggest using the oven to cure them until you are very comfortable with getting them finished though as the oven can cause more bubbles if they aren't degassed completely.

Sorry this turned into a novel. Hope it helps!!
Beth
THANK YOU!!! I will def try again with these tips.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies