New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-27-2010, 01:36

Default Re: All the bottle caps I made yesterday are RUINED!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Crafts View Post
Yup I know how that goes . I was too. Mine all looked good when I left them then the next morning I was But I won't let them get the best of me. With the ones I did with Dura Glaze that seemed to seep under the image I could peel it off, clean up the cap and I can reuse it. I haven't tried to take off the Diamond Glaze ones yet. I used Diamond Glaze on my glass tile necklaces and I had some tiny bubbles on some of them that I could not move or pop. I did not worry too much about them because they were on the back and they were sooooo tiny. Also there were only a few on a couple of them. I just am not having much luck with this glaze stuff, but I really don't like the resin drops (sticker things) that much and I WANT to do these necklaces. By the time I get the hang of it these will be OUT and something else will be popular LOL

Diane
No kidding!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 01-27-2010, 02:10

Hoe much are you mixing up at a time? Try mixing a cap cup of each together at a time. I use a 1 Tablespoon measureing spoon for each of them. I mix them together for 2 minutes, you have to or they won't mix right. I can do about 20 caps at a time with that measurement. When I finish my last bottlecap, I start running the lighter across the first ones. then when I get done, I go back over them once more.
Make sure the room is in a warm room, the cold weather messes with them setting for some reason.

HTH!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:14

I personally never used ET. I use ICE resin and I LOVE it. When the bubbles rise to the top I take a straw and blow them off. The professional finish is awesome! I ordered it from fusionbeads.com HTH
Old 01-27-2010, 02:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgrl74 View Post
I personally never used ET. I use ICE resin and I LOVE it. When the bubbles rise to the top I take a straw and blow them off. The professional finish is awesome! I ordered it from fusionbeads.com HTH
Wow, it's expensive. Do you think it's pretty fool proof for people like me?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamy_01 View Post
Hoe much are you mixing up at a time? Try mixing a cap cup of each together at a time. I use a 1 Tablespoon measureing spoon for each of them. I mix them together for 2 minutes, you have to or they won't mix right. I can do about 20 caps at a time with that measurement. When I finish my last bottlecap, I start running the lighter across the first ones. then when I get done, I go back over them once more.
Make sure the room is in a warm room, the cold weather messes with them setting for some reason.

HTH!
So you use 1 tablespoon of each at a time?? I did it in the basement where it is probably 5-10 degrees colder than upstairs... do you think that made a difference?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysBows View Post
So you use 1 tablespoon of each at a time?? I did it in the basement where it is probably 5-10 degrees colder than upstairs... do you think that made a difference?
I mix the smaller amounts, that way, they won't try to start setting on me. i've never had problems with them setting, my craft room is usually warm. But, I've heard other people say that the cold temp can effect the caps while drying.... maybe you can do them in the basement, run a lighter across all of them, then put them on a cookie sheet so you can carry them into the kitchen or living room (or a room thats warmer), and place them somewhere they can set for 2 days and run a lighter across them one more time.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:53

Not sure if this is the correct "professional" way, but I use modge podge to set my image in the inside of the bottlecap and after that has dried I seal it with a spray laquer. So far, no problems, but I will admit I have only been making them for a few months
Old 01-27-2010, 08:13

I have only used Diamond Glaze and (knock on wood) I think they turn out pretty good. I make glass tiles, scrabble tiles and bottle caps. I set the image with mod podge and then go over the image with mod podge. After drying I then use the Diamond Glaze. And its not expensive. I have had one or two here and there to not seal, but for the most part I have good luck with it.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00

That sinks! So sorry that happened. I use only 3D crystal lacquar and diamond galze on occasion.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:03

You only mix a little at a time and a little goes a long way! I am not pro by far and I was able to do it so I know you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysBows View Post
Wow, it's expensive. Do you think it's pretty fool proof for people like me?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg