New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-26-2010, 02:40

Default You gals are gonna love this one!

A Mom has bought a bunch of my hair clips , mostly lined with glitter ribbon over the past few months and I see her wear them alot. They are cute on her, but not my style. Anyway, a lady stopped her and asked where she got it and so she told her where to buy them. Anyway, she told her that there is another store in town selling the glitter clippies for $8 each! I just about fell over when she told me! Apparently the lady told the people that the ribbon was handmade and was really expensive. Truthfully, she called and asked where I ordered mine from and I told her, but that was over 4 months ago. Talk about serious mark up!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 01-26-2010, 02:52

Default Re: You gals are gonna love this one!

Wow, the nerve of some people!!! I betcha you got a kick out of the story though!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:23

that is awful special of her!!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:25

WOW... some people....
Old 01-26-2010, 03:29

I am just wondering how many she sold with her "special" ribbon for $8??? That is absolutely crazy!!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:50

That's crazy
Old 01-26-2010, 04:00

Ya, that's a laugh! I get mine for 2.50 for 5 yards and plain lined clips, 8 bucks. OH PLEASE, maybe in her big head! LOL!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:56

wow that is outrageous, although some people do glitter their own ribbon
Old 01-26-2010, 05:25

The entire 'handmade' ribbon thing is crazy, but I have to say...I sell my glitter clippies in stores for $7/pr. Is this crazy? Not really....

-I have other women helping with the clips, that I have to pay.
-I have to pay for packaging (once you get a certain number of stores, Vistaprint doesn't cut it any more)
-I have to pay for shipping materials (some is covered in shipping charges, but not all)
-I have to have a retail price and a wholesale price that are far enough apart for the stores to make money
-sales reps take 12.5-15% off of the wholesale order totals
-distributors take 30-50% off your wholesale pricing
-house insurance costs are higher if you're running a business out of your home (and if you don't declare your business-they don't have to cover you if anything happens)
-product liability insurance is expensive, especially when you sell to more than just your country.
-catalogues/order forms/info sheets etc...that go to stores are expensive.
-Customs and duty on all supplies that come in once you start having to order in larger quantities of stock increase costs too.
-I have to pay for testing on my products (CPSIA and also other testing, such as strength testing on pacifier clips).

Just a thought, next time you're looking at $5-$8 clips in stores. I'm not trying to bash at all...just inform. I always hear people complaining on here about prices in stores, but I work my butt off and there are a lot of expenses involved. So instead, maybe when you see the clips in stores that are made by another mom, you can think of all the work it took to get into that store, because it's really not easy.

Again...I'm not saying this with any sarcastic tone. I wanted a chance to be able to explain everything behind the prices.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:44

I still make a ton of clips myself...I have clips that I've made included in each and every order. I do have other local moms making them as well. I'm not really sure what your point is...I'm trying to explain the pricing of the clips in stores...noone can grow a business and not eventually have other people helping out. I'm still a mom running this business and making clips (and I started out just like everyone on here) and I've decided to hire on other moms too, so they can stay home with their kids and work too.
Sponsored Links