new products--pop dot diy pinwheel bows

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/no-liner-bottle-cap-combo.jpg

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-soft-ball.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-dizzy-bees-ribbon-grosgrain-combo-.JPG
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/ladybug-applique-red-dot.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/half-wrapped%2050mm-snap-clips.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/flat-back-pearl-shpk.JPG

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-26-2010, 05:46

Default Re: You gals are gonna love this one!

Good info about the prices being justified and I certainly did not take it as bashing Those are good points but this lady orders her ribbon from the same places we do and it is exactly the same.... I have tons of the glitter ribbon and if it's hand glittered, then I'll be a monkey's uncle....LOL! She is not a Mom type business, she just has a small purse/earrings type shop, I think. I haven't been in there lately, so she may have different stuff and I know her out of the retail business, so we run into each other off n on. I am laughing inside because she asked me where one of my girls got her cute clippie and I told her where I ordered the ribbon, so it was funny to hear that she was making them.

If you can sell the clips for $7 a pair, that's great but the going rate is $3-4.50 a pair here, so I just hope she can sell enough to make her money back. No big deal... just thought the amount was WAAAYYYY to high!
Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2010, 05:50

Well, are people buying the $8 clippy? Cause if they are, you might need to adjust your prices to the going rate.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:53

Hey if she can sell them for $20 a pair great for her. I see nothing wrong with people charging what they are worth on the other hand i get really mad when i see women selling clips for $.75 on etsy that is just plain stupid once you add in your fees, product cost etc. what profit is that? You also don't want to be the cheapest in town because alot of times people won't value your products if they are too cheap. Maybe Allie wants to share some of her biz secrets with us Growing to the point of needing employees sounds good to me
Old 01-26-2010, 05:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNice123 View Post
Hey if she can sell them for $20 a pair great for her. I see nothing wrong with people charging what they are worth on the other hand i get really mad when i see women selling clips for $.75 on etsy that is just plain stupid once you add in your fees, product cost etc. what profit is that? You also don't want to be the cheapest in town because alot of times people won't value your products if they are too cheap. Maybe Allie wants to share some of her biz secrets with us Growing to the point of needing employees sounds good to me
I totally agree..I have more of a problem with ppl who undercharge versus overcharge.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:08

Don't have any idea if she is selling the $8 clips, but I didn't really care. The whole point of the story was just that it struck me as funny! I feel comfortable with my price and am ok with that.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:56

I completely agree about the ribbon...she should never have been promoting it as handmade. I also agree about people undercharging...it unfortunately has stopped me from being able to do local baby and craft shows and I really miss that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNice123 View Post
Maybe Allie wants to share some of her biz secrets with us Growing to the point of needing employees sounds good to me
Hmmm....make the best product you can. Pitch stores - you're going to hear a lot of 'no's', but you can't grow if you don't ask. Watch your pricing (take into consideration what I posted above). Try and get people to spread the word about your products. It takes time...I've been doing this almost three years and started out with lower priced clips on ebay, craigslist, etc...before I started a website, raised my prices and went after stores. Do research on what clips/bows are selling for in good boutiques and stores in your area, so you have an idea for pricepoint.

Not too much help I guess, but you get the point
Old 01-26-2010, 08:18

I have been doing this for nearly 4 years. I had an etsy store ever so briefly. I do not have a website either and I have been approached (sp?) by boutiques BUT... I do a few shows...I'm telling you word of mouth is the everything it will make you or break you. You have to put yourself out there. The reason I won't put my stuff in a store is because I would have to charge what the store did per the agreement. I will not charge somebody $12.00 for a bow that I have $1.75 in cost and 20 minutes time to make. My personal business approach is if I am not willing to pay it to put in on my child I will not ask my clients to pay it for their kids but that is me.
Now the chick who is selling her clips for $8.00 I say go girl if you can get people to buy them more power to you. Be honest though as far as weaving the ribbon etc cause you know what they say about karma...

Kimmi! Find LSB on Facebook
Old 02-10-2010, 03:20

I am not sure about the price but I think it is not okay to be dishonest about your products...
Old 02-10-2010, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlismommy View Post
I have been doing this for nearly 4 years. I had an etsy store ever so briefly. I do not have a website either and I have been approached (sp?) by boutiques BUT... I do a few shows...I'm telling you word of mouth is the everything it will make you or break you. You have to put yourself out there. The reason I won't put my stuff in a store is because I would have to charge what the store did per the agreement. I will not charge somebody $12.00 for a bow that I have $1.75 in cost and 20 minutes time to make. My personal business approach is if I am not willing to pay it to put in on my child I will not ask my clients to pay it for their kids but that is me.
Now the chick who is selling her clips for $8.00 I say go girl if you can get people to buy them more power to you. Be honest though as far as weaving the ribbon etc cause you know what they say about karma...
I completely agree with you about word of mouth and pricing. My family is always telling me to up my prices, I will eventually, but I want/need more people to buy it, love, and then tell others. I don't feel right charging more than I would pay either, but that's just me.

But regarding the original post (and the point of the thread), I don't agree at all with not being honest about your product. I can't sell the crochet hats around here because I have ALOT of contacts/clients who are great crocheters (is that a word). They would never buy a mass produced item and I would never lie and say that I made them.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:11

i do think that the story is funny, handmade my butt (as long as it looks exactly like the ribbon you are selling) i do make my own glitter ribbon, so it can be done!

also i hate hate hate it when people undercharge, etsy is ticking me off with undercharging! i charge what i deserve to be paid because i value my time and my skill that i used to make the product!

anyways mini rant over
veronica

*I will not tell you your UGLY bow is PRETTY but I will try to help you make it better..............wish someone would of told me my first bows were ugly. I do this out of love not wickedness *
Sponsored Links