http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-25-2010, 04:50

Default Is it possible??

Is it possible to make a pillowcase dress sewing by hand? I don't have a good sewing machine. My dad gave me my grandmother's but it is ancient. lol I have no clue how to even start to use it though. I have the patience to sew them by hand.(I think) If it's possible??
Old 01-25-2010, 05:12

Default Re: Is it possible??

I'm sure it's possible, but you're going to be there for a long time! I just bought a new machine a couple hours ago. Nothing flash or expensive, just a Brother for under $100 that will do the basic stuff. If you're looking for a new one that is all you need unless you're planning on sewing a ton all the time. My old machine is 5 years old, but I have hardly used it because it's too picky and jams all the time and I'm tired of things breaking. There is something to be said for old school style simple machines.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread, just thought a basic machine might save you a ton of work!

Old 01-25-2010, 05:26

I haven't made one yet, but plan to make two this week. It doesn't look like a whole lot of sewing to me, so if you have the patience to do it I think you could. Here is a good tutorial that I found, if you need one: http://tmorrill.googlepages.com/HMJUN_Pillowcase.pdf
Old 01-25-2010, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby2000 View Post
I haven't made one yet, but plan to make two this week. It doesn't look like a whole lot of sewing to me, so if you have the patience to do it I think you could. Here is a good tutorial that I found, if you need one: http://tmorrill.googlepages.com/HMJUN_Pillowcase.pdf

Thank you! Doesn't look to hard. lol
Old 01-25-2010, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandja79 View Post
I'm sure it's possible, but you're going to be there for a long time! I just bought a new machine a couple hours ago. Nothing flash or expensive, just a Brother for under $100 that will do the basic stuff. If you're looking for a new one that is all you need unless you're planning on sewing a ton all the time. My old machine is 5 years old, but I have hardly used it because it's too picky and jams all the time and I'm tired of things breaking. There is something to be said for old school style simple machines.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread, just thought a basic machine might save you a ton of work!
Thank you for the info! I guess my problem is I am just intimidated by sewing machines.

I look at them and feel like they are foreign. lol
Old 01-25-2010, 09:00

So, Im confused, do you make the pillow case first?! LOL
Old 01-25-2010, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealove4 View Post
Thank you for the info! I guess my problem is I am just intimidated by sewing machines.

I look at them and feel like they are foreign. lol

Don't be afraid! Basic sewing machines are super easy to use. What kind do you have? It might be worth it to take it to a local sewing repair shop to give it a good tune-up. You can find most operators manuals, even for super old machines, on-line. Check and see if you can find it on-line and read through it, you'll see it's not that hard at all! They are easy and it would be worth the little time and money if you want to makes dresses to sell.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebug*sbows View Post
So, Im confused, do you make the pillow case first?! LOL

No, lol. I think the name came from the way they were made in the beginning. Out of a pillow case. Now a lot of people just use fabric though.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurn View Post
Don't be afraid! Basic sewing machines are super easy to use. What kind do you have? It might be worth it to take it to a local sewing repair shop to give it a good tune-up. You can find most operators manuals, even for super old machines, on-line. Check and see if you can find it on-line and read through it, you'll see it's not that hard at all! They are easy and it would be worth the little time and money if you want to makes dresses to sell.

Thanks for the tips. I am not sure what type it is, it is stored at my dad's house until I can get there to get it. I just know it is very very old. My grandmother would be around 110 if she were alive today and she used it when my father was growing up. It's pretty much ancient. I love that about it though.

I will look into finding a book online and maybe getting it tuned up. I would feel extra proud if I was using the machine she used way back then to build my business now.