Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-24-2010, 01:44

Default Re: cutting foe for adults

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aminspirations View Post
I use my lighter to heatseal...run it along the ends slowly and then squeeze them together (yes, it's hot!)...then use your lighter again and really melt the ends, using caution not to set it on fire. Once you have a nice melted line, you can squeeze it again (very, very hot) or use the butt-end of your lighter to smoosh it. Hope that helps! I've jsut started making these and haven't had any of them come apart yet. My daughter's been "wearing" them for a couple of days and we haven't had any problems with separation.
Yes..that helps! Perfect explanation! Thank you. I just did it and I cannot believe how easy these are to make. My new favorite thing. NOW...I just cannot wait to get my appliques and resins from the GB going on now!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2010, 01:50

Holy schnikes I got it to work with the lighter! I think the problem before was that I was trying the woodburner.

YAY for not having to drag the machine out!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aminspirations View Post
I use my lighter to heatseal...run it along the ends slowly and then squeeze them together (yes, it's hot!)...then use your lighter again and really melt the ends, using caution not to set it on fire. Once you have a nice melted line, you can squeeze it again (very, very hot) or use the butt-end of your lighter to smoosh it. Hope that helps! I've jsut started making these and haven't had any of them come apart yet. My daughter's been "wearing" them for a couple of days and we haven't had any problems with separation.

I just heat seal and sew the ends together the way Maeve's tutorial says. I can't stand getting burned with the lighter and the smell of burnt FOE makes my stomach churn. I also finish them off with a piece of ribbon.
I recently made myself a couple and I LOVE wearing them. I have some of the 1" plush kind and it's super soft and thicker than the rest.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:00

I've had bad luck with the woodburner, too. Thanks so much for the info!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:11

Awesome, maybe I won't have to sew them. I am going to try both and see what I like. I'm with everyone else who hates dragging out the machine!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:24

I just wanted to share something that worked for me! I'm just starting out with FOE and in seaching I'd found this post about fusing ends by heat sealing. It looked like it could be painful with that hot elastic!

What worked for me, was holding the ends together, with a pair of jewelry pliers like these: http://www.crtime.com/Pliers/Pliers10.jpg

I left about 1/4 inch beyond the pliers, ran the lighter along the edge, then quickly pulled the melted edge between the jaws of the pliers and squeezed hard! It seemed to work perfectly to get an even fuse!

Sorry if this had been posted elsewhere, but it was new to me!

GiggleBuzz.com
On Facebook: www.facebook.com/gigglebuzzkids
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43

Hi,
What width of the FOE do you use? The headbands I have bought are 3/4" I think, but all I can find to buy by the yard is 5/8". I don't know if that matters too much?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytaleswithtwo View Post
I just wanted to share something that worked for me! I'm just starting out with FOE and in seaching I'd found this post about fusing ends by heat sealing. It looked like it could be painful with that hot elastic!

What worked for me, was holding the ends together, with a pair of jewelry pliers like these: http://www.crtime.com/Pliers/Pliers10.jpg

I left about 1/4 inch beyond the pliers, ran the lighter along the edge, then quickly pulled the melted edge between the jaws of the pliers and squeezed hard! It seemed to work perfectly to get an even fuse!

Sorry if this had been posted elsewhere, but it was new to me!
It is new to me as well. I have tried to melt them together with lighter but with not much success. I usually sew them together by hand. But I think that if somehow heat sealing worked for me this would be that method.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:03

Heat sealing has worked fine for me.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay View Post
Hi,
What width of the FOE do you use? The headbands I have bought are 3/4" I think, but all I can find to buy by the yard is 5/8". I don't know if that matters too much?
It shouldn't matter as there is only a small difference between the 2 sizes. Most FOE is 5/8".
Sponsored Links