printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-13-2008, 02:41

Default Hairbow holder question-Princess dress

I love the different ideas for the hairbow holders but my favorite for the girly girl is the princess dress. Those of you that use fabric to cover the cut-out, how do you finish the back? I would like to make a few of these to try at a craft show next month and I want the back to look neat. Not sure what's the best way to go about. Thanks in advance for ideas! (-:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2008, 04:28

Default Re: Hairbow holder question-Princess dress

Maybe you could wrap it around the edge and then line the edges/sides with ribbon to hide the ends of fabric. Then just paint the back white.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:45

I have only made three of these, just started about two weeks ago and everyone I show them to loves them. I cut two peices, the front piece a little larger than the back piece. See if these directions help you, a friend knew I was making these and forwarded me this link a couple of days ago. The first one I covered the back with a piece of white felt material, although not seen when hanging on the wall, when showing as a demo it just did not look very good. I will see if my camera is at home or if my DH has it at work and try and send a picture.

Free Hair Bow Instructions: Ballet Dress Tutu Bow Holder
Old 02-13-2008, 06:59

Thanks ladies! You guys are awesome on here! As I was sitting waiting for dd at swim I thought of felt. Love the animal print example. I am going to use off white fabric with different color tulle (soft pinks & purples) so it can go with any little girl's room. If someone wants me to custom one then I can go hunting for fabric. I am trying to buy as little as possible since this is an experiment. I think I have felt in my craft pile. Hopefully I can figure out how to post a picture when I get one done.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:59

I have made a few of these but I cut the bodice out of wood and paint them and attach the skirt to the front only so the back is plain. I tried one out of foam board but it was just too light and I was afraid it would bet "banged" up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0593.jpg (35.8 KB, 198 views)
Old 02-14-2008, 08:47

My DH owns a sign shop and we use the foam core board. It is not too expensive. The great thing is that it is easy to cut with a utility knife and it also has one sticky side. I traced out the design using my template and then when I was ready to add the fabric and padding, I had extra fabric and when I pulled over the front it stuck to the sticky side on the back. Or you can lay down the small cut out on the back and then pull over the front piece and cover you edges. Hope I explained that well, not good at the details sometimes! Whatever you like best. But the foam board makes a great tac board also, and is easy to pin the fabric as you work. HTH!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:45

think the wood is better as well
Old 02-15-2008, 12:58

I would like to make one for my daughter. Is there a template for the shirt part posted anywhere?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:37

I don't know of a template. I just took a piece of paper folded it in half and cut out a neck and then cut in at the waste to give it a little shape. When unfolded voila, it is even and ready to lay over the board and trace out bodice.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:37

I've used foam board for the one I've made. It seems fine thus far. I'm really pleased w/the way it turned out.
Sponsored Links