new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-20-2010, 11:52

Default Interchangeable Headband Question/Issue

I've never made interchangeable headbands, I know how, just never done it. I'm still not sure how crazy I am about them, but I think my customers would like that option now that I have tons of flowers and such pretty FOE.

My question/issue is that the alligator clip is floppy...kwim? Should I be using 7/8" ribbon to make the loop instead? I even tried a mini alligator clip and it was just heavy and kinda flopped sideways, which is ok (I guess) with a flower, but a bow would look crooked. Am I doing something wrong? Would a no slip grip help hold it straight? I used the FOE Headband instructions posted here.

Also, on the inside where the loop is glued, the ribbon is hard the corners are a bit scratchy. Is there a tip that I'm missing so that doesn't happen? Or am I being too picky? That's why I quite making the stretch lace headbands, it took me forever because I obsessed over how scratchy the inside was.

Thanks for your help!!
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 01-20-2010, 11:59

Default Re: Interchangeable Headband Question/Issue

The only advice I can give is to use 7/8" ribbon to help with the floppy bows/clips. That's what I do and it helped a lot! GL
Old 01-20-2010, 02:05

Hi Bobby! (another cannuck...yippee!!)
I'm the same way (must be a canadian thing) I always ensure that the ribbon ends align with the edge of the foe--and make sure when I heat seal I don't over-singe the edges (crunchy!).
When I'm really neurotic I cut a co-ordinating piece of felt and just cover the square where the ribbon is glued on the back.
I sell alot of the interchangeable headbands ONLY if I can really explain how to use them with the clips--otherwise I think people are like..WTH is that!
People like thinking they get more use out of the other clips (and it takes the sting out of the prices of my clips...lol!)
I use 3/8 grosgrain for the loop--I don't make it too loose--just enough to slip the clip in. I do however fully line the majority of my clips...(and often with velvet) so those suckers don't move!! lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedove View Post
I've never made interchangeable headbands, I know how, just never done it. I'm still not sure how crazy I am about them, but I think my customers would like that option now that I have tons of flowers and such pretty FOE.

My question/issue is that the alligator clip is floppy...kwim? Should I be using 7/8" ribbon to make the loop instead? I even tried a mini alligator clip and it was just heavy and kinda flopped sideways, which is ok (I guess) with a flower, but a bow would look crooked. Am I doing something wrong? Would a no slip grip help hold it straight? I used the FOE Headband instructions posted here.

Also, on the inside where the loop is glued, the ribbon is hard the corners are a bit scratchy. Is there a tip that I'm missing so that doesn't happen? Or am I being too picky? That's why I quite making the stretch lace headbands, it took me forever because I obsessed over how scratchy the inside was.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:59

Thanks for the advice. I actually don't use a woodburner...I do all my stuff in the livingroom in front of the tv and I do not want to burn the carpet or leather couches...hot glue on the coffee table is bad enough!

Another tip I got elsewhere, which I think I'll try tonight, is to sew the piece of ribbon on the front side of the headband only just leave a space large enough for the alligator clip to go through. In theory it should work great, I just hope I can get it to work for me!

Thanks again!!

Pabloswhim...where are you? I'm in Saskatchewan. Nice to see another Canadian!!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:05

I use 7/8 for most but on tiny headbands Ill use 3/8, since tiny headbands usually have snap clips.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:12

I just made my first interchangeable headband and I really liked the way it turned out. what I did was I used 7/8 ribbon and before I made my loop I attached one side of the ribbon and then put my alligator clip on the ribbon and pulled the ribbon around the headband untill it was tight but still loose enough to slide the clip in and out of it. As for the hard scratchy part I have no idea. Mine was not hard and scratchy in my opinion. Hope this helped you
Old 01-20-2010, 07:36

I use a lighter too....in the living room...in front of the tv trying not to burn the leather couch!! lol --are canadians all that predictable?? (and my coffee table is toast and I just bought it last month!)haha!
I'm in Hamilton, Ontario : )
Love the idea of sewing it to the front..haven't tried that yet but with 5/8 foe don't know if there'll be enough room for fully lined clips....hmmmm...have to experiment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedove View Post
Thanks for the advice. I actually don't use a woodburner...I do all my stuff in the livingroom in front of the tv and I do not want to burn the carpet or leather couches...hot glue on the coffee table is bad enough!

Another tip I got elsewhere, which I think I'll try tonight, is to sew the piece of ribbon on the front side of the headband only just leave a space large enough for the alligator clip to go through. In theory it should work great, I just hope I can get it to work for me!

Thanks again!!

Pabloswhim...where are you? I'm in Saskatchewan. Nice to see another Canadian!!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloswhim View Post
I use a lighter too....in the living room...in front of the tv trying not to burn the leather couch!! lol --are canadians all that predictable?? (and my coffee table is toast and I just bought it last month!)haha!
I'm in Hamilton, Ontario : )
Love the idea of sewing it to the front..haven't tried that yet but with 5/8 foe don't know if there'll be enough room for fully lined clips....hmmmm...have to experiment!
I used to use a lighter infront of the tv, but invested in a small table from costco so that it came right over the couch and I could use the woodburner. Love the table because it folds up flat and behind the door it goes. I am in Ontario too.... good old Kingston...
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies