http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-17-2010, 01:24

Default Starching Crochet flowers

Has anyone starched a crochet flower? I've made my dd some crochet flower clips and I noticed that while she's wearing them, they get a little scrunched and out of shape. Thought maybe starching would help it hold its shape a little better. Do you think a 50/50 mix would work? Should I spray or dip into starch? Don't think I should bake it though.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 09:22

Default Re: Starching Crochet flowers

No idea. I've wondered about that, though, because I've had the same problem. I will have to try doing it and see how it works. Will try to do it in the next day or so. I also have little crochet butterflies that I have the same problem with. I might try spray starching them and ironing them though
Old 01-17-2010, 10:04

I have never starched crochet items, but you can block them. If you are making them yourself

Before you put them on the clip spread them out on a suface, hold them in place and shape with straight pins then go over them with a steam iron. DO NOT let the iron touch the yarn, just glide over it, but no touching. Leave it to dry overnight and it should hold shape

I think if you googled it you could find more info, or even some videos on youtube

I will take a minute and see what I can find!

OK so I looked around and this instruction actually says to use stayflo. I have never used stiffner and the shape still holds, so I guess it is just personal preference I also don't soak my items either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjDoI5VXK9o
Old 01-17-2010, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahomommyof4 View Post
No idea. I've wondered about that, though, because I've had the same problem. I will have to try doing it and see how it works. Will try to do it in the next day or so. I also have little crochet butterflies that I have the same problem with. I might try spray starching them and ironing them though
DO NOT IRON!!!! or at least dont let the iron touch the yarn It will ruin your work. I learned this the hard way as a beginner, I have been crocheting longer than I have been making bows Trust me, iron just = trouble LOL

I use the iron and go over the work, but never letting the iron actually touch the work. And LOTS of steam
Old 01-17-2010, 10:09

I starch and bake like bows I also use the same method as korker to make curly yarn
Old 01-18-2010, 09:01

Smile Re: Starching Crochet flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbell View Post
I starch and bake like bows I also use the same method as korker to make curly yarn
Wow good to know!
Sponsored Links

Tags
crochet flowers, starch