Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-11-2010, 12:59

Default Personalizing Hairbow Holders

I need help! I have done a few hairbow holders, but mostly the ones with the initial letter, so there has been no personalization necessary. Now I have a request to do a plaque that has a name on it.

I wanted to get the advice of all the HG experts here - how do you go about doing this? Do you use stencils? Do you freehand? Something else? If you paint them on, do you just paint with a small brush or do you use one of those paint pens? Any advice, tips, etc is GREATLY appreciated!!

I really have no idea where to start, but I know there is some fabulous work on this board. Thankfully, this request is from a friend of mine and not a random unknown customer, so she knows this will be my first :-)

Thanks everyone for reading....looking forward to your responses!

Marla
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 01-11-2010, 01:30

Default Re: Personalizing Hairbow Holders

I have done several with the round wooden plaques. I use paint brush and the cheap acrylic craft paint at walmart. I paint the whole plaque with several coats and then pencil on my name freehand . I then paint over with my paintbrush. I also like to add polkadots on my letters with the back of my brush. I usually make some kind of border around the outside (it can be fairly simple a wavy line with flowers made from polkadots.) I then hotglue a bow to the top and voila. Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:33

I do the same as egarbig but mine aren't that great. LOL
Old 01-11-2010, 01:38

Here is a pic of mine... They are initials but you could also just do them on a plaque... They are wood letter bought from hobby lobby.. I painted them...

The last two are wall decorations, but you could do them smaller and put ribbon at the bottom for bows. I used canvas. Covered it in material then used E6000 to glue the initial and letters on.
You could use just a wood plaque.. paint it.. paint the wood letters, then glue the wood letters on the plaque.. add ribbon and you're done. I think you can get the small letter at HL and wal mart for about $2-3.
Let me know if you have more questions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bowholdersPink.jpg (107.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Kbowholder.JPG (82.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg wall decor.jpg (59.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg wall decor 2.jpg (57.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-11-2010, 01:42

I have made many many bow holders. I have free handed and I have used stencils. I'm a big fan of the elmer's paint pens. you can get them at michael's or walmart for sure. they have a variety of colors. i would trace the name in a colored pencil the in the same color as the paint you are using and then fill in with paint pen. also a fan of the crayola erasable colored pencils. that way if you need to more the letters around you can. here are a few of the bow holders i have made. let me know if i can be of any more help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morgan.jpg (22.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg sabrina.jpg (25.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg olivia.jpg (20.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-11-2010, 01:49

All you girls amaze me with your talent! The free hand letters you are painting are amazing...so uniform. I think that's my problem. I can't seem to get them as "perfect" as I would like and feel like I need to use stencils, but the stencils don't offer nearly as much font variety.

EmileeDesigns - Thanks for sharing the tip about the small wooden letters. I hadn't even thought about that route!

Anyone other advice or tips out there? This has been very helpful so far!!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:53

I like the Elmers paint markers also!!! GL
Old 01-11-2010, 02:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmfinn View Post
All you girls amaze me with your talent! The free hand letters you are painting are amazing...so uniform. I think that's my problem. I can't seem to get them as "perfect" as I would like and feel like I need to use stencils, but the stencils don't offer nearly as much font variety.

EmileeDesigns - Thanks for sharing the tip about the small wooden letters. I hadn't even thought about that route!

Anyone other advice or tips out there? This has been very helpful so far!!
I've seen many cute fonts (stencils) at Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Walmart. In different sizes too.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:04

The paint pens are awesome. That is what I usually use......I use stensils sometimes, but always end up smearing the letters (i am impatient when it comes to drying time). But try the paint pens. Good luck! Dont forget to post your finished result!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:06

Do you have a cricut machine? That works as well.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.