http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-09-2010, 09:31

Default tutu

Can someone help me out? I tried to search for directions on making a tutu with the search function but I couldn't find any. Can someone point me in the direction of a tut??

I found a tut online the other day and made a tutu with that but I was kind of lost on how much tulle to put on it and how long to cut them etc. Also do I pull the tulle as tight as possible and push as much as possible on the elastic?? I noticed on mine I was pulling it so tight it was stretching the elastic out as I went. Is that normal?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:54

Default Re: tutu

I made over 130 tutus for my big show last year....I didn't use a tut b/c I had bought one when I was on vacation.

I use the spools of tulle (6inches wide) and layer two to three pieces on top of each other to make it really full. I also squish the pieces as close together as I can so you cannot see the elastic or ribbon.

I didn't have a problem with the elastic stretching.

A great tip that I found on here is to wrap the tulle around a cookie sheet (across the longest part) and cut....you get really even pieces.

For short tutus I made my pieces probably 12 inches long.

Let me know if you have questions. I can show you one too if you want.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYREDHEADS View Post
I made over 130 tutus for my big show last year....I didn't use a tut b/c I had bought one when I was on vacation.

I use the spools of tulle (6inches wide) and layer two to three pieces on top of each other to make it really full. I also squish the pieces as close together as I can so you cannot see the elastic or ribbon.

I didn't have a problem with the elastic stretching.

A great tip that I found on here is to wrap the tulle around a cookie sheet (across the longest part) and cut....you get really even pieces.

For short tutus I made my pieces probably 12 inches long.

Let me know if you have questions. I can show you one too if you want.
130?? WOW! LOL Yes, I would love to see one. The one I did wasn't too bad, but I just had to kind of guess with the sizes. I already bought my tulle and didn't buy the spool kind. So I will just go with your measurements. I didn't know to stack them, that's a good idea.

I still don't know why my elastic was stretching. I sewed my elastic together and then as I started adding tulle I was pushing them really REALLY close and pulling them super tight. I noticed as I kept going the elastic wasn't stretchy anymore, it was like stretched out.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:18

The same thing happened to me. How I fixed my issue of the waist band being too huge... Use 1" no roll elastic and put a plastic 1" ruler with smooth edges clipped on to the elastic so when you tie the tulle you can not make it so tight you stretch the elastic...tie on the tulle as tight as you want the ruler is going to let the elastic keep its shape and then every so often just slide the ruler over. Make sure the ruller is smooth or it will cut or tear your tulle!

*If I add a second layer I do not use the ruler I just wing it.

Last edited by purrpplee; 01-09-2010 at 10:22.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:19

Yeah...I made waaaaay too many. I only sold 30 at my fall show. If I ever get my act together I'm going to post them here for a destash.

Here are a couple of examples. Sounds like you are doing everything right....just try not smooshing so tightly.

The first few I made I only used one strip but it really helps to add fullness if you layer them together.

Also, the spools are a god send. I've used the bolt tulle when I can't find the color I need but I hate it. I think it's so hard to cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7737.jpg (56.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Tutus 008.jpg (53.1 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7733.jpg (47.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 024.jpg (41.4 KB, 95 views)
Old 01-09-2010, 11:25

Adorable!! I think I will just try not squishing them so tight. The ones I made turned out great and were really full. But I had that problem with the elastic stretching. I will work on a few more tonight and try that out and see what happens.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:34

Where do you get your tulle spools? How many do you use for each tutu? I use 2, doing single layers.
How much did you sel them for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYREDHEADS View Post
Yeah...I made waaaaay too many. I only sold 30 at my fall show. If I ever get my act together I'm going to post them here for a destash.

Here are a couple of examples. Sounds like you are doing everything right....just try not smooshing so tightly.

The first few I made I only used one strip but it really helps to add fullness if you layer them together.

Also, the spools are a god send. I've used the bolt tulle when I can't find the color I need but I hate it. I think it's so hard to cut.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by justagirl1980 View Post
Where do you get your tulle spools? How many do you use for each tutu? I use 2, doing single layers.
How much did you sel them for?
I got the majority of my tulle from COD Wholesale.

Depending on what size I was making and whether it was long or short I used two to three and half spools.

I sold them easily for $15.00 this past year.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealove4 View Post
Adorable!! I think I will just try not squishing them so tight. The ones I made turned out great and were really full. But I had that problem with the elastic stretching. I will work on a few more tonight and try that out and see what happens.
Don't have anything to add but I just wanted to tell you that I LOVE your logo! So cute!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24

Is the tulle from COD Wholesale flame retardant? I have made tutus for gifts and it kind of bothered me when I realized that the tulle wasn't flame retardant (from Hobby Lobby). Is that something to worry about when selling tutus?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies