http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-07-2010, 01:59

Default A Not-So-Full Tie Tutu?

I make tie tutus and they are very full. They kind of "sit" by themselves . Most people love this and I always get great reviews online and at shows regarding their fullness. A boutique in town wants as many as I can make (Woohoo!) but she wants them less full. For those of you that do tie tutus, what do you suggest? I hate it when there is space on the ribbon or if it looks messy. Mine almost look like they have a band at the waist because they are tied so tight. Any suggestions? I do have a sewing machine but hate the thought of using it for tutus. And even if I did, I wouldn't know how to do a sew one! HELP!
Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2010, 04:14

Default Re: A Not-So-Full Tie Tutu?

I assume you are using the 6" tulle cut into strips. How many strips are you stacking? I stack 3 together and use about 25 yds. of 3 different colors, on some others I did 25yds of 2 different colors, but they were short, so it just depends on the length I guess...But if you are stacking 3 or more before you knot them, maybee use less like 2/3?? I am new at this also. Could you post a pic. of yours...I don't see alot of peoples that are knotted and I would love to see yours.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:00

Hi there,
Yeah....thats it. I'm also pretty new to all this, but also do the tied tutus.
I started out only using one layer - now I'm adding a second and tying again after I've done the first layer - twice as long to tie, but I can't seem to get the knot smaller if I do it with 2 layers or more? Any tips on that would be great.
You can see my pics on www.obabybiz.com if you are interested.
Jill
Old 01-07-2010, 05:13

Ohhhh I really like your Petti-Tutus!! Super CUTE!! Are they like your regular tutu but you just cut and tie an extra piece of tulle at the bottom??

I just do just one layer of tulle and tie them super close together. I've tried two layers but the knots are soooo large ;( so I'm keeping my tutus just to the one layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBABY View Post
Hi there,
I started out only using one layer - now I'm adding a second and tying again after I've done the first layer - twice as long to tie, but I can't seem to get the knot smaller if I do it with 2 layers or more? Any tips on that would be great.
Jill
Old 01-07-2010, 06:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBABY View Post
Hi there,
Jill

Holy cow Batman! Those are some really cute tutus!!! I love the ribbon ties at the bottom. Can you post some more pics so I can see the detail of how you did the bottom? Thanks!

Tevin
Old 01-10-2010, 02:54

GREAT tutus!! I've only made ONE for my daughter for a halloween costume. She was a ladybug so I made it with black and red tulle. I was given lots of comments on it and asked how to make the tutu. I want to make a few more for friends with little girls. They are so cute and perfect for dress up play..
Old 01-10-2010, 06:05

I think it's actually the knot that makes them so full. I am currently making them a stack of four strips Ex: my infant tutu is about 5 in. in length so I cut the strip's 10 in long by 1 1/2 in wide.

I would try cutting your elastic slightly larger than the lengh needed loop your strips around the elastic and sew it below the elastic so that you can gather it as much or as little as you want for the desired fullness. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0801.jpg (87.3 KB, 129 views)
Old 01-11-2010, 01:50

Yikes! I don't even use elastic. I watched a tutorial somewhere awhile back that showed just using ribbon so thats what Ive been doing. They sell like crazy so I guess it's OK. I just don;t know how to make the less full. I'm going to play around with some this evening. I have only ever tried one layer
Old 01-12-2010, 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyparker View Post
Yikes! I don't even use elastic. I watched a tutorial somewhere awhile back that showed just using ribbon so thats what Ive been doing. They sell like crazy so I guess it's OK. I just don;t know how to make the less full. I'm going to play around with some this evening. I have only ever tried one layer
I'm wanting to try the ribbon waist again, do you perhaps have an instruction or the tut you followed. I tried doing this when I first started, and just couldn't figure out how long the ribbon should be, or the area to put the tulle, and how it would overlap when tied.....or by how much.
If you can give me any pointers - that would be great.
TIA
Old 01-12-2010, 07:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2one View Post
Ohhhh I really like your Petti-Tutus!! Super CUTE!! Are they like your regular tutu but you just cut and tie an extra piece of tulle at the bottom??

I just do just one layer of tulle and tie them super close together. I've tried two layers but the knots are soooo large ;( so I'm keeping my tutus just to the one layer.

[URL="http://www.mishus.com/catalog.php?item=499&catid=255&ret=catalog.php%3Fc ategory%3D255"]
Cute tutu!

For the petti-tutu. The strips that are tied onto the bottom are 5 x 6 inches...so it takes loads of tulle and loads of work! And YES, just tied on, if you want to, you can tie the end of the tulle on the tutu (like a tied end tutu) and then tie the extra piece above the knot, so that it doesn't slip off the end.

I want to say they are worth alot more, but I know as an individual, I wouldn't pay more than what I'm charging!

HTH

If you click on the photos on this page PETTI-TUTUs most of them will open and you can zoom.

Last edited by OBABY; 01-12-2010 at 08:02.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg