New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-12-2010, 07:16
Default Re: A Not-So-Full Tie Tutu?

Originally Posted by TheMonkeyBoutiqueq View Post
I think it's actually the knot that makes them so full. I am currently making them a stack of four strips Ex: my infant tutu is about 5 in. in length so I cut the strip's 10 in long by 1 1/2 in wide.

I would try cutting your elastic slightly larger than the lengh needed loop your strips around the elastic and sew it below the elastic so that you can gather it as much or as little as you want for the desired fullness. Hope this helps.
How do you attatch the bow on your tutus? Are you using elastic or ribbon and tieing when done?
Clippies Galore and More
If I have purchased something from you please don't forget to leave me feedback
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 09:46

i used to make mine on ribbon too. are you using 6" tulle or 3"? the video with the ribbon shows 3" i think. i used to use 3 but when i moved to 6 inch, it made it more full, so maybe cut your strips thinner? i did love the look of the tutus on the ribbon, but i seemed to get more requests for the elastic tied ones.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:17

I am wanting to make my tutus more fuller. How are you doing yours? I cut 6 in wide pieces and use two at a time when I tie them. The shorter ones turn out good but its the longer ones that dont poof out as much. Any suggestions?? I am also using elastic waist bands. I tried the ribbon but couldnt figure it out.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:11

mommyparker, would love to see a pic of your tutus to gauge how full they really are. Can't believe someone has suggested for you to "de-poof" your tutus. Normally we can't get them poofy enough!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:14

A quick way to 'de-poof' is to steam it... It'll hang a little differently and be less poofy. Generally speaking, the tighter the knot, the more strips you're ending up using, and therefore the poofier it will be.

You can also try tying them looser, but with a double-knot so that it doesn't come out. More work tying, but the results are great!
Canadian Distributor of The LPL Brilliant Bowmaker!
The Tulle Store, by Canada Tulle. Ribbon, tulle, and more!
Sponsored Links