Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-08-2008, 05:19

Default Easy fold for 1st graders?

My niece is in Brownies-she's in 1st grade-and my SIL is one of the head mom's or whatever you call them who runs the meetings, etc.

She emailed me today to ask if I would come to their next meeting and show the girls how to make a bow. They are taking them to the hospital or something like that, but whatever it is, the girls have to make it. I don't have the TOTT instructions-I have some from LAMB, but I don't use them because the way I do my bows is easier for me, but wouldn't be for the girls if that makes any sense?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had anything that you think would be simple for them to learn (with pics b/c I am a visual learner-lol!)...I planned on probably using 7/8" ribbon, but it doesn't HAVE to be that-that's just what I normally use.

TIA!
Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2008, 05:26

Default Re: Easy fold for 1st graders?

What about the ones that are just a loop on top of the alligator clip? I know, not necessarily a bow, but easy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loopy.jpg (23.3 KB, 24 views)

Bows, Etc.
Handmade hair bows, clips, and headbands for all ages.

Kumihimo Woven Headband Instructions now available in my Etsy shop!
Old 02-08-2008, 05:38

Well, I was thinking of doing the others because all the girls would have to do is fold them and then use whatever (I was thinking craft wire would be easy for them?) to hold them together so that the adults could do the glue to attach the knot and line the clip, but that the girls were still doing the majority of the bow
Old 02-08-2008, 05:43

To be 100% honest?

I had a brownie troop, and 1st graders are realllly young - some of them are still learning how to write, and they have trouble with their manual dexterity skills still. I think this would be a very difficult project to tackle at that age. You will end up doing most of it for them. It just needs to be really simple for this age, and they like to be able to do things themselves, so I'd hesitate to do a project that would require a lot of help.

Could you pre-tie the bows and then let them glue on embellishments? Or make the parts of a stacked bow, and let them glue all of those together? What if you made the bows and they decorated bags to put them in?

Bows, Etc.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:50

Yeah, I'm a teacher so I understand all of that-that's why I asked what would be the most simple to do, but I don't know how much of it they are supposed to do. I am going to talk to my SIL tonight and maybe I'll just have to have my niece come over and see what she could do. That's also why I asked because I don't even like the instructions I've seen to follow them so that's why I do it my own way-lol! Actually, I think what I'll do is just have them do two simple folds to the middle to create the tails and that should be easy for them to do and if there are any that want to do more, we can experiment with that.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:06

Oh yeah, the fold used for the mini-bow - yeah they could probably do that with minimal help. Great idea!

Bows, Etc.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:58

Does it have to be a bow??? I have a first grader and she loves making the little worm clippies as she calls them lol (with pom poms). She still doesn't get the bow thing, but she does try.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
Does it have to be a bow??? I have a first grader and she loves making the little worm clippies as she calls them lol (with pom poms). She still doesn't get the bow thing, but she does try.
That is very cute! I don't think it would have to be a bow...but does she use the hot glue or do you use something else when she makes them?

On a side note, I saw that site that sells the bows for $100 and OMG that is nuts! Most of the ribbon on those examples weren't even straight! I'm glad I saw that site since I'm about to raise my prices...and I thought $4 was too high! HA!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:29

Faigie...I had never heard of that site before and I just went back to look at it and didn't even see the clips for $191! I wouldn't spend that much on a clip if it were real diamonds-lol!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg