Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-27-2009, 02:57

Default substition for liquid starch

I need help!! I live in Canada and I can't find liquid starch. The lady at Walmart even laughed at me for getting liquid starch: " No one use liquid starch anymore, I haven't seen them for years " Any suggestions on what else I can use? I don't want to use hairsprays because my cat is allergic to it, he will sneeze like there's no tomorrow. (I know, who cares if a cat is allergic to hairsprays. LOL) and it's too cold for me to go outside to work. Can I just bake the bow and that's it?
Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2009, 08:06

Default Re: substition for liquid starch

Here is a recipe for starch: http://frugalliving.about.com/od/col...ray_Starch.htm

I have never made it, but my mom always tells me I should. I always purchase the spray starch and just recently bought a bottle of the liquid. I can not believe they do not sell it! Good luck making some - it looks quite easy. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:44

Do they have spray Startch in the laudry isle? I use that when I cann't find the fabric stiffener. It take a little bit longer to dry but works like a charm.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:53

I mixed about 1 tablespoon of fabric stiffner with about 12oz of water & put in a spray bottle. I spray each layer of the stacked bow & assemble. NO need to bake. It works great. The bows are a little stiff but not to the point where they get crunchy!!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexinan View Post
I need help!! I live in Canada and I can't find liquid starch. The lady at Walmart even laughed at me for getting liquid starch: " No one use liquid starch anymore, I haven't seen them for years " Any suggestions on what else I can use? I don't want to use hairsprays because my cat is allergic to it, he will sneeze like there's no tomorrow. (I know, who cares if a cat is allergic to hairsprays. LOL) and it's too cold for me to go outside to work. Can I just bake the bow and that's it?
I also live in Canada and I found a product called stiffy in the craft isle at wal-mart, Michaels carries it as well.......I think it works great
Old 12-27-2009, 10:07

EEEEWWWWWW! I just read this...

Commerically-produced spray starch usually contains formaldehyde yuck!
Starching clothes actually makes them last longer because dirt and perspiration sticks to the starch and not to the fabric

I'm thinking the homemade looks too easy not to do. I'm going to try it.

In the old days you used the water from boiling your potatoes to startch you clothes.

Hey, can I use this as a selling point for my bows? "Ma'am, my bows are Formaldehyde free so if your little one ever chews on her bows you will have nothing to worry about."
Old 12-27-2009, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancousins View Post
I also live in Canada and I found a product called stiffy in the craft isle at wal-mart, Michaels carries it as well.......I think it works great
I'm in Canada as well and have been searching for the liquid starch but haven't bothered asking anyone...glad I didn't!

I've used the Stiffy, but I find that the pump and nozzle get plugged after a few uses and it comes out in a single stream rather than a spray. I've tried a few bottles and rinsed everything after every use but still no luck.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:14

I am in Canada too and didn't find it so I use the spray and find it works well.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:19

Thanks. I'm going to try it this weekend and I'll let you know how it works out
Old 02-08-2010, 03:18

has anyone tried the homemade starch.. what do you think of it?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg