http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-28-2010, 08:26

Default Re: Cheer Bows??

I cut my heat and bond into strips or I cut a panel of heat and bond and fuse it to the sequin fabric then cut the fabric into strips 1/8 smaller than the ribbon. The heat and bond allows the fabric to not fray and it won't curl up. When cutting the fabric without the heat and bond it tends to want to curl up on the edges. Then I peel off the backing and iron onto the ribbon of similar color. If there's a lot of little strings from the sequin fabric I'll take my light down the edge and it'll clean it up if needed.

HTH!
Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2010, 06:30

Just wanted to say this is a wonderful thread with tons of info! Thanks to all of you lovely ladies for sharing.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:25

I fuse sequins and mysticz to heatnbond vinyl and that takes care of the edges so no fraying.

I've been asked to make a double loop cheer bow with 3 layers in each loop (mysticz, sequins, ribbon) and though I have made a sample to her liking, I feel like it's still too thick. Any suggestions? It's stiff enough with the 3 layers of fusing, but when two of those are added together, it's really difficult to work with. Suggestions?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastormama View Post
I fuse sequins and mysticz to heatnbond vinyl and that takes care of the edges so no fraying.

I've been asked to make a double loop cheer bow with 3 layers in each loop (mysticz, sequins, ribbon) and though I have made a sample to her liking, I feel like it's still too thick. Any suggestions? It's stiff enough with the 3 layers of fusing, but when two of those are added together, it's really difficult to work with. Suggestions?
Heat and Bond vinyl? I use the heat and bond LITE. It's less stiff than the Ultra (aka no sew). I have never used the vinyl. I don't know how that would work.

If each layer has something fused it's going to be stiff, there's no way around it. You could experiment and layer your colors with just the sequins/mystic and forgo the layering onto the ribbon so you'd only have the base ribbon but a lot would depend on what the final look of the bow you're going for.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:32

Thank you so much for posting all of this stuff..

I use the no bow no go cheer bow tut.. something to think about if anyone is having trouble.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:48

I just saw where you said your husband's family is in Mountain City, I live in Elizabethon. Maybe 20-30 minutes away. BTW, I am loving all this advice on the cheer bows! I love researching new products!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:33

Great care instructions! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
Yvonne - Thanks No heatnbond on that bow at all. I just have made hundreds of cheer bows so I have a method down. If I have a squad that wants to super stiff cheer bow I don't mind doing it but I find the cheerleaders like the fact that the tails "fly" up and down as they jump and nod their heads instead of just sticking out straight. It's a preference.

Pony-O - I always always sew. I sew my bows, use really long craft-button thread that's doubled and knotted at the end. after sewing around to secure the bow I sew the pony around and around. I would be afraid that only glue would eventually wear and break free.

I also include an instruction card for each bow so the parents have care instructions (no hairspray on the sequin and they will show wear the more they're handled). I emphasize that the pony should not be used to secure the ponytail, only the bow to the pony. I recommend that the ponytail use at least 1 if not 2 pony holders before putting the pony on the bow. This will also extend the life of elastic.

Sequin - yes it's material. You can buy it in a variety of colors. Cut into strips, cut the heatnbond into strips, iron onto the sequin, then iron onto coordinating ribbon. I prefer heatnbond lite so it's not so stiff.

Mar-leabowtique - I don't want the ribbon to not be centered at the loops either which is why I tack them to keep them centered.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleylyon View Post
Thank you so much! I have another problem, sorta. My friend showed me a bow from a website that she liked. The price was $4.95 each. I'm making the bow exactly like the one in the picture but without sequins and she wants me to match the price.
I know this is a little late, but I absolutely had to put in my $.02.
4.95 is the best they could get for that bow!! (They= Omnicheer and Campus cheer and Cheerleading online) Some poor little child made those bows with the most inferior of products, and probably got paid 50 cents that week to do so.
I saw two or even three teams with those horrible, cheap bows at our last competition and when I say "Horrible and cheap" I am being nice. They were floppy, fraying, the layers peeling apart and fraying from the middle (or interior) of the bow, not just the ends. The metallic was near-sheer and the sequins had fallen or been picked off. (We had some girls sitting right in front of us) My eyes were practically bugging out of my head, and my lower lip almost bleeding from me trying so hard not to give my card to the coach!!!! OMGosh! Really?? Do they not understand that the bow is part of the uniform?
So, do yourself a favor, don't lower your standards to meet theirs, ever. If your bows are worth more, then don't be afraid to say so. Explain why your bows are better, and she will not only be your friend, but she will purchase your bows. If she didn't this year, you can bet she learned a lesson and she will next year!!
Thanks for letting me vent, I swear that company's stuff is just crap-not just the bows, either.
Shelleigh
Old 11-28-2010, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkhawkfan View Post
I know this is a little late, but I absolutely had to put in my $.02.
4.95 is the best they could get for that bow!! (They= Omnicheer and Campus cheer and Cheerleading online) Some poor little child made those bows with the most inferior of products, and probably got paid 50 cents that week to do so.
I saw two or even three teams with those horrible, cheap bows at our last competition and when I say "Horrible and cheap" I am being nice. They were floppy, fraying, the layers peeling apart and fraying from the middle (or interior) of the bow, not just the ends. The metallic was near-sheer and the sequins had fallen or been picked off. (We had some girls sitting right in front of us) My eyes were practically bugging out of my head, and my lower lip almost bleeding from me trying so hard not to give my card to the coach!!!! OMGosh! Really?? Do they not understand that the bow is part of the uniform?
So, do yourself a favor, don't lower your standards to meet theirs, ever. If your bows are worth more, then don't be afraid to say so. Explain why your bows are better, and she will not only be your friend, but she will purchase your bows. If she didn't this year, you can bet she learned a lesson and she will next year!!
Thanks for letting me vent, I swear that company's stuff is just crap-not just the bows, either.
Shelleigh
OMG Shelleigh! I just read this post! LMAO!!!!! Regrettably, I saw a team at our Pop Warner competition this season with this same bow. Oh yuck! was all I could think.

Since I attend the same competitions with teams I make bows for, I bring along a small repair kit with me. I found myself wanting to ask them if I could perhaps try and fix them so their cheerleaders didn't suffer the embarrassment of wearing them.

The bows were huge, they were floppy, fraying and ugly. I wouldn't have paid $5.00 for that bow. If my daughter had brought that bow home, I would have immediately dismantled it, purchased some better product and put it back together the way it should have looked. (And yest, I have done this before). Hahahaha! You're great!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:15

mark for later
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg