New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-26-2010, 06:04

Default Re: Cheer Bows??

Thank you so much! I have another problem, sorta. My friend showed me a bow from a website that she liked. The price was $4.95 each. I'm making the bow exactly like the one in the picture but without sequins and she wants me to match the price. I guess for a friend I don't mind doing it so I can get my name/bow out there for people to see but that price seems a little low to me. Especially , considering the time and extra work you need to put in it. I feel like I should go up a few extra dollars seeing as though they will not have to pay any shipping. I guess its a personal decision but $4.95 is a deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
Too funny Nicole - I actually took samples with everything fused and the teams only want the loops fused and the tails loose so they'll bounce with the girls.

Hi Shelley -

I am using heat and bond this year for just the loops in most of the bows. I like that the loops are firm and the cheerleaders around here prefer the tails loose. Heat and bond is available at the sewing section of your walmart - joann's etc. It's better to buy by the yard and cut into strips. I use a rotary cutter, mat and ruler to cut the strips.

The sheer gold may not bond well and depending on the type of material it may crease badly. Metallic can be hard to work with!

I did end up purchasing the $5 instructions from No Bow No Go over the winter even though I'd been making cheer bows a while. I liked some of her tips and definitely worth the $5.

I would do a bow with just tacking the loops and one bonded and see which you like better or your customer will like. They are the ones that you will need to make sure with!

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2010, 07:24

here is the website

http://www.omnicheer.com/Jumbo+Sequi...ProductDetails
Old 07-26-2010, 10:20

That price seems way too low for a bow like that. If you can make one like it with good quality, I would charge a little more than the $4.95. And I think you have to buy 6 of the same style bow on that site to get that price anyway, you can tell your friend that.
The bows on that site are priced very low, I wonder if they are mass produced. I also once had someone show me a bow on that site and ask me to match the style and price. I said forget it, if you like that price and bow so much, just buy it from there! I was not going to sell mine so cheaply, and I consider myself to have good affordable prices but theirs are just a little crazy IMO
Old 07-26-2010, 10:40

Hrm...$4.95 for a bow that has 4 layers? You really get what you pay for in that case. There's no way even with a discount that I'd make a 4 layer bow for that low. Even if you want to get your name out there. I've seen bows from catalogs and places like this from my squads. They are thin floppy ribbon, sent with fraying edges and horrible pony-o's that break.

What's her wait time on getting the bows from that site? A minimum order of 6 isn't that bad. If your friend really wants that bow I'd have to say let her order it for that price. If she's truly your friend then you need to talk to her about the bows, and explain quality. Make the bow and then you can give them a discount. For that style of bow without the sequins I would charge at least $10 a piece, I charge $10 for my solid color triple layer. You will have a lot of time in them.

So let your friend pay $10/bow and if you want to give them a discount. If she doesn't go for it, let her order the bows and when they fall apart before the end of the season then you can make her the same bows.

Too harsh? Good luck to you!

Last edited by bstimpert; 07-26-2010 at 10:43.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleylyon View Post
I have looked at that bow and agree with the others. #1 It is four layers. At minimum for a four layer bow I would charge $9.00. #2 it has sequins. That automatically would bump the price to $12.00 for one layer of sequins. #3 you can see the zebra print through the gold metallic. In my opinion, I would replace the gold metallic ribbon with an additional sequin layer to look more consistent with the purple. That would drive the cost of the bow up to at least $14.00.

I have attached a four layer bow that I recently did as a sample for one of my Pop Warner teams. The picture itself is bad as it was taken with my cell phone, but I would charge $14.00 for this bow minimum.

While I think the bow itself is very cute, I cannot imagine that the quality is very good for $4.95. This may sound rude, but I believe if your friend knew the time and work that went into making a quality cheer bow, she would understand that you would have to charge more. When going with mass production companies, most times quality in product and construction is sacrificed.

She may want to ask herself, when the bow falls apart, who will be there to fix it for her at a moments notice. If she answers that question honestly, she may want to go with you for a little more than the $4.95 the other company is asking their bow.

I don't mean to be rude, but honest. I hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BkGl Polka Sequin.jpg (48.9 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by gmcks2001; 07-27-2010 at 08:32. Reason: Paragraph and pic insert.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:04

Thanks for your advice. I'll talk to her and see what we can work out...and still stay friends As far as the sequins, she doesn't want them anywhere on the bow. But like you said, you can see the zebra print through the metalic gold ribbon. She asked last week if I could make them and I've got everything except the Heat'n bond (which is ordered and already shipped). Being my first time at this, I've got to crank out 9 bows in 2-3 days, and NOT screw up because school starts next week. YIKES! Anywho! We'll see and I'll let y'all know how it turns out. I might even post a picture of it. Thanks again for y'all's (I'm from TN) help and advise.

Shelley
Old 07-27-2010, 05:04

BTW...LOVE the bow!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:51

Question... when you cut the sequence fabric, do you need to seal it? THANKS!! Great tips, ladies
Old 07-28-2010, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleylyon View Post
Thanks for your advice. I'll talk to her and see what we can work out...and still stay friends As far as the sequins, she doesn't want them anywhere on the bow. But like you said, you can see the zebra print through the metalic gold ribbon. She asked last week if I could make them and I've got everything except the Heat'n bond (which is ordered and already shipped). Being my first time at this, I've got to crank out 9 bows in 2-3 days, and NOT screw up because school starts next week. YIKES! Anywho! We'll see and I'll let y'all know how it turns out. I might even post a picture of it. Thanks again for y'all's (I'm from TN) help and advise.

Shelley
I am sure that you will be able to stay friends and make her some beautiful bows that her squad and you will be proud of. Good luck to you!

BTW, I love TN! What a beautiful state and you have Gatlinburg to boot. My husband has family in Mountain City and we get to visit every so often. So much beautiful scenery.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by melham View Post
Question... when you cut the sequence fabric, do you need to seal it? THANKS!! Great tips, ladies
I bond my sequin fabric to similar color grosgrain and cut out with a rotary cutter before attaching it to another layer. I have never sealed it afterwards except for the tails. They always get notched and heat sealed. However, i have seen a few different methods used when making bows with sequined fabric. Another method may require it.

Anyone else want to weigh in?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg