http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-19-2010, 07:52

Default Re: Cheer Bows??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
Typical? It depends on many factors.
1. Team preference? I always take samples to my teams to let them choose
2. Age? How old are the girls wearing the bows? What's appropriate for high school will be really big on elementary.
3. width of ribbon you're using 1.5", 2.5", 3"?

My "standard" is usually 6.5-7 inches at the widest part of the bow and 7 inch tails. 5 inch tails if they are wanting the tails short.

I agree. Really depends on the team's preference. But the above sounds right to me.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 08:51

Where do you get your 3" ribbon? The widest I found is 2 1/4".

Also, do you sew or tie the bows? I was making one double layer using heat n bond to keep them together and it was really hard to wrap the center. Any especial techniques?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:44

O.K. I need to add something here because I am so confused!! By the way, the cheer bows are gorgeous!! I have never made one and I guess that is why I am so in the dark.

Are there instructions somewhere? Like step by step. lol!! Like cheerbows for dummies...
Old 01-20-2010, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondStitches View Post
Where do you get your 3" ribbon? The widest I found is 2 1/4".

Also, do you sew or tie the bows? I was making one double layer using heat n bond to keep them together and it was really hard to wrap the center. Any especial techniques?
Depending on the quantity of 3" ribbon you need, there are a few places you can purchase it from. For 5 yd spools, you can check out The Ribbon Retreat www.ribbonretreat.com. For larger spools of 20 yds or more, I would suggest Dunwoody Booth www.dunwoodybooth.com. Their prices are great and shipping is super fast. If you don't have any success there, there is also Lone Star Ribbon www.lsribbon.com. All of the above carry a wide array of colors in the 3" grosgrain ribbon.

Generally when fusing layers of ribbon together, I use E6000 to hold them. The only time I use heat n bond these days is to hold sequin or spandex fabric to ribbon. I find it works just as well and the bows are not quite as difficult to fold and sew. I purchased instructions from NoBowNoGo. They are great. Of course, over time, you discover your own tricks and find techniques that work well for you.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. GOOD LUCK!

Ann
Old 01-20-2010, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcks2001 View Post
Depending on the quantity of 3" ribbon you need, there are a few places you can purchase it from. For 5 yd spools, you can check out The Ribbon Retreat www.ribbonretreat.com. For larger spools of 20 yds or more, I would suggest Dunwoody Booth www.dunwoodybooth.com. Their prices are great and shipping is super fast. If you don't have any success there, there is also Lone Star Ribbon www.lsribbon.com. All of the above carry a wide array of colors in the 3" grosgrain ribbon.

Generally when fusing layers of ribbon together, I use E6000 to hold them. The only time I use heat n bond these days is to hold sequin or spandex fabric to ribbon. I find it works just as well and the bows are not quite as difficult to fold and sew. I purchased instructions from NoBowNoGo. They are great. Of course, over time, you discover your own tricks and find techniques that work well for you.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. GOOD LUCK!

Ann
Great info. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:27

Thank you so much for sharing all the great info. I need to check out those places and try using E6000 with the bows.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillorenzo View Post
O.K. I need to add something here because I am so confused!! By the way, the cheer bows are gorgeous!! I have never made one and I guess that is why I am so in the dark.

Are there instructions somewhere? Like step by step. lol!! Like cheerbows for dummies...

these instructions are detailed.....

http://nobownogo.com/item_17/Cheer-Bow-Instructions.htm

Rachel

Old 07-26-2010, 01:45

I'm just starting to learn about cheer bows and all of this advice is so helpful. I have a friend that wants a 3 layer cheer bow: 2 1/4 purple, 1.5" zebra and 7/8" sheer gold. Would you suggest to not fuse them and just center, sew and tack with glue like you did the one in the picture? If I need heat n bond or E600, where do I find them...Hobby Lobby?

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
No, I did not "attach" the top ribbon to the bottom ribbon to fold the bow.

I guess it hard to understand without pictures, the zebra ribbon is laid on top of the purple ribbon centered. I fold the bow holding the 2 ribbons taunt so they don't move, sew the center, attach pony or clip, put the center on. then put a dab of fabric-tac at the center of the loop on the zebra ribbon to keep it centered. Then V cut and seal.

Make any sense?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:01

I ALWAYS heat n bond my ribbons together as well! Because then the tails dont flop. I tried it without, and was REALLy not happy! PA girls mus tlove stiff bows rofl
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGalinSteerland View Post
Do the layers on the tails move? now granted, all my teams have been in competitions but none wanted the tail layers to move-KWIM?
Competition and regular use are different in my experience.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:03

Too funny Nicole - I actually took samples with everything fused and the teams only want the loops fused and the tails loose so they'll bounce with the girls.

Hi Shelley -

I am using heat and bond this year for just the loops in most of the bows. I like that the loops are firm and the cheerleaders around here prefer the tails loose. Heat and bond is available at the sewing section of your walmart - joann's etc. It's better to buy by the yard and cut into strips. I use a rotary cutter, mat and ruler to cut the strips.

The sheer gold may not bond well and depending on the type of material it may crease badly. Metallic can be hard to work with!

I did end up purchasing the $5 instructions from No Bow No Go over the winter even though I'd been making cheer bows a while. I liked some of her tips and definitely worth the $5.

I would do a bow with just tacking the loops and one bonded and see which you like better or your customer will like. They are the ones that you will need to make sure with!

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links