150-forum-ads
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/snazziedrawers-150.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/MMexclusivewholesaleribbon-150.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/hair-bow-auctions.gif
new product--hello kitty 5/8' satin ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/150-earthehosting.gif
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2009, 05:22
ydelaney's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 903
Default Re: Cheer Bows??

so you didn't use heatnbond for that bow? That bow is really pretty :-). I will be using navy and then layering the gold metalic on it. Thanks for all your input. The sequins is that just material and then you cut it into strips?
Yvonne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
Now I disagree with the ALL heat n bond. I use heat n bond for my sequins or mystic to fuse onto the ribbon. This is a bow I just made for a local team for basketball. I actually don't even use the bowmaker (from TRR) I mark the middle and how many inches out from the middle then fold onto the needle, crease, sew and secure. I do tack the loop of the bow where the ribbon is at the middle to keep it all lined up. I also have my teams store their bows in the clear plastic containers so the bows do not get messed up.

This bow is usually $9 (for a 2 layer non-sequin) but because it was a rush order it was $11/bow. 3 layer, with my standard 6" tails is $11, anything with fusing ribbon goes up from there depending on how many layers I'm going to be fusing. If you are just using the metallic ribbon then you won't have as much work. I made up a standard pricing chart for my squads since I have several schools I work with. This allows the coach and the parents decide on what they want to spend vs. what the bow will look like. It took the confusion away and I think increased sales for me!

HTH!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/labellabuttons.jpg
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2009, 05:25
ydelaney's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 903
Default Re: Cheer Bows??

Ohhhh and do you always use pony o's? Do you sew those on or glue them to the back of the bow and then wrap the center strip around it to secure it. Thanks again :-)
Yvonne
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2009, 06:26
bstimpert's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amish Country, OH
Posts: 1,262
Default Re: Cheer Bows??

Yvonne - Thanks No heatnbond on that bow at all. I just have made hundreds of cheer bows so I have a method down. If I have a squad that wants to super stiff cheer bow I don't mind doing it but I find the cheerleaders like the fact that the tails "fly" up and down as they jump and nod their heads instead of just sticking out straight. It's a preference.

Pony-O - I always always sew. I sew my bows, use really long craft-button thread that's doubled and knotted at the end. after sewing around to secure the bow I sew the pony around and around. I would be afraid that only glue would eventually wear and break free.

I also include an instruction card for each bow so the parents have care instructions (no hairspray on the sequin and they will show wear the more they're handled). I emphasize that the pony should not be used to secure the ponytail, only the bow to the pony. I recommend that the ponytail use at least 1 if not 2 pony holders before putting the pony on the bow. This will also extend the life of elastic.

Sequin - yes it's material. You can buy it in a variety of colors. Cut into strips, cut the heatnbond into strips, iron onto the sequin, then iron onto coordinating ribbon. I prefer heatnbond lite so it's not so stiff.

Mar-leabowtique - I don't want the ribbon to not be centered at the loops either which is why I tack them to keep them centered.
__________________
Barbara
Sweet Baby K's Bow*tique
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2009, 06:26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 222
Default Re: Cheer Bows??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydelaney View Post
Ohhhh and do you always use pony o's? Do you sew those on or glue them to the back of the bow and then wrap the center strip around it to secure it. Thanks again :-)
Yvonne
I glue the pony o to the back of the bow, then wait for it to dry all the way. Then I put more glue on top of the pony o and stick the strip around it, and then wait for that to dry. After that I put more hot glue onto the strip where I glued the pony o and the strip and then wrap it around.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2009, 06:43
kksand's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 449
Default Re: Cheer Bows??

What great tips! Thanks for sharing!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
Yvonne - Thanks No heatnbond on that bow at all. I just have made hundreds of cheer bows so I have a method down. If I have a squad that wants to super stiff cheer bow I don't mind doing it but I find the cheerleaders like the fact that the tails "fly" up and down as they jump and nod their heads instead of just sticking out straight. It's a preference.

Pony-O - I always always sew. I sew my bows, use really long craft-button thread that's doubled and knotted at the end. after sewing around to secure the bow I sew the pony around and around. I would be afraid that only glue would eventually wear and break free.

I also include an instruction card for each bow so the parents have care instructions (no hairspray on the sequin and they will show wear the more they're handled). I emphasize that the pony should not be used to secure the ponytail, only the bow to the pony. I recommend that the ponytail use at least 1 if not 2 pony holders before putting the pony on the bow. This will also extend the life of elastic.

Sequin - yes it's material. You can buy it in a variety of colors. Cut into strips, cut the heatnbond into strips, iron onto the sequin, then iron onto coordinating ribbon. I prefer heatnbond lite so it's not so stiff.

Mar-leabowtique - I don't want the ribbon to not be centered at the loops either which is why I tack them to keep them centered.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2009, 07:07
lilsnapdragons's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington State, stationed in VA
Posts: 1,993
Default Re: Cheer Bows??

I have to say it all depends on the materials that your using. I would say look at the time involved and materials. I usually figure out how much the bow costs to make right down to the glue and then at least double that. I hope that this helps. If you look on the internet at cheer bow site you see them from 8 -22.00 a bow.
__________________
DIY Portable No Slip Grip Tutorial
Comming Soon...http://lilsnapdragonsbowtique.com
Live Life to the fullest and don't look back!
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2009, 09:41
NYgalinPA's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,610
Default Re: Cheer Bows??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
No, I did not "attach" the top ribbon to the bottom ribbon to fold the bow.

I guess it hard to understand without pictures, the zebra ribbon is laid on top of the purple ribbon centered. I fold the bow holding the 2 ribbons taunt so they don't move, sew the center, attach pony or clip, put the center on. then put a dab of fabric-tac at the center of the loop on the zebra ribbon to keep it centered. Then V cut and seal.

Make any sense?
Do the layers on the tails move? now granted, all my teams have been in competitions but none wanted the tail layers to move-KWIM?
Competition and regular use are different in my experience.
__________________
I am just here for supplies, leave the drama at the front door...
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2010, 01:00
gmcks2001's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 628
Default Re: Cheer Bows??

Similarly, I do not use a lot of heat n bond either. When a team would like the layers of their bows fused together, I use E6000. It stinks like all get out, but works better than heat n bond. It takes a lot of pulling to separate ribbons that are glued. I normally only use heat n bond now for fusing sequined fabric to ribbon.

Nice bow. Love the color and pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
Now I disagree with the ALL heat n bond. I use heat n bond for my sequins or mystic to fuse onto the ribbon. This is a bow I just made for a local team for basketball. I actually don't even use the bowmaker (from TRR) I mark the middle and how many inches out from the middle then fold onto the needle, crease, sew and secure. I do tack the loop of the bow where the ribbon is at the middle to keep it all lined up. I also have my teams store their bows in the clear plastic containers so the bows do not get messed up.

This bow is usually $9 (for a 2 layer non-sequin) but because it was a rush order it was $11/bow. 3 layer, with my standard 6" tails is $11, anything with fusing ribbon goes up from there depending on how many layers I'm going to be fusing. If you are just using the metallic ribbon then you won't have as much work. I made up a standard pricing chart for my squads since I have several schools I work with. This allows the coach and the parents decide on what they want to spend vs. what the bow will look like. It took the confusion away and I think increased sales for me!

HTH!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2010, 02:35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 290
Default Re: Cheer Bows??

My daughters are both competitive cheerleaders and their bows are 22 with 3 layers one being sequins bonded to ribbon and two layers of plain grosgrain a piece yikes and stiff.They are huge bows.As the team mom I always order pony's never clips due to front rolls with our younger girls. Last yr I made the bows this yr we ordered them. LOL college kept me too busy.Our tiny squad wears spiky pony O's.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2010, 02:59
Craftista's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 356
Default Re: Cheer Bows??

Excellent tip! Thanks for sharing!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
hot pink wholesale
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger