Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-21-2009, 10:20

Default what do you think...do i need NBNG templates?

So here are some of my bows....

My question is will NBNG templates help me or do i just need to practice more? I am happy with my pinwheels but the twisted boutique definitely needs work....

Thank You.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 (89).jpg (34.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 001 (91).jpg (42.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 001 (87).jpg (43.7 KB, 122 views)
Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2009, 10:41

Default Re: what do you think...do i need NBNG templates?

I think they look pretty good. Keep practing. Perhaps it's the angle, but the pinwheel looks upside down. Your boutiques look pretty good, some are more twisted, if that's what you are aiming for, and the surrounds look a little big for the boutique they are with. Hope that helps. I'm doing boutiques tonight and they are looking good, I'm happy.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintb View Post
I think they look pretty good. Keep practing. Perhaps it's the angle, but the pinwheel looks upside down. Your boutiques look pretty good, some are more twisted, if that's what you are aiming for, and the surrounds look a little big for the boutique they are with. Hope that helps. I'm doing boutiques tonight and they are looking good, I'm happy.
Thank you.

lol! I didn't know that pinwheels could be upside down - both ways look look the same to me.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepandaprincess View Post
Thank you.

lol! I didn't know that pinwheels could be upside down - both ways look look the same to me.
She means face down instead of face up. Does that make sense? Usually we put the tails on top.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:40

lol..it can .. =) The pinwheel does look upside down to me as well... Pinwheels, like the twisted bow, has the *backside* and *front side*..

But hey, it's a matter of preference..=) You did a great job... For the twisted, just angle your center a tad more before you crease/tie it off.

Quote:
Thank you.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:46

ok, now i get it - thank you - funny, i never noticed that before! I went back thru all the ones i have made and the ones with a print (one one side) are the correct way and the others like this ribbon where the color is on both sides are upsidedown!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:42

I think your boutiques are very, very close. Which method are you using?

When you're looking at your boutique, ideally you want the backs of the loops horizontal, and the fronts of the loops to make a very, very vertical x. I mean, as NARROW as you can get it. If you use the method with the pin in the center (That is my fave) then use two alligator clips to keep the backs horizontal & rotate the fronts more vertically to get that super narrow X, then stitch & tie off. I stick the pin in the armrest of my couch & do these while watching movies on the weekend, but you could also stick the pin in an eraser.

They are beautiful bows, even if they aren't perfectly twisted. IMO, someone who didn't make bows wouldn't know they weren't ideal.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:36

Thank you for your advise and kind words Shelly, I was hoping you would reply, you always are sooooo helpful.

I am using this method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjDOfMoRvEY
but at the end i stitch up on the inside of the salon clip, pull tight and twist it around itself a few times. It is just something that i have taken from other places and seems to work the best for me.

I think that the bows look good at this stage but it seems that when i put on the center knot and attach it to the clip is seems to 'spread' out and 'loose' its 'twistyness'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
I think your boutiques are very, very close. Which method are you using?

When you're looking at your boutique, ideally you want the backs of the loops horizontal, and the fronts of the loops to make a very, very vertical x. I mean, as NARROW as you can get it. If you use the method with the pin in the center (That is my fave) then use two alligator clips to keep the backs horizontal & rotate the fronts more vertically to get that super narrow X, then stitch & tie off. I stick the pin in the armrest of my couch & do these while watching movies on the weekend, but you could also stick the pin in an eraser.

They are beautiful bows, even if they aren't perfectly twisted. IMO, someone who didn't make bows wouldn't know they weren't ideal.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:44

Quote:
Thank you for your advise and kind words Shelly, I was hoping you would reply, you always are sooooo helpful.

I am using this method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjDOfMoRvEY
but at the end i stitch up on the inside of the salon clip, pull tight and twist it around itself a few times. It is just something that i have taken from other places and seems to work the best for me.

I think that the bows look good at this stage but it seems that when i put on the center knot and attach it to the clip is seems to 'spread' out and 'loose' its 'twistyness'.
Ahhhh, the figure 8 method. Just make your figure 8 very, very narrow before you bend the ends of the loops in, because this initial cross will determine how perky your loops will be (and how "twisted" your boutique will be). You could even use a straight pin sideways through your figure 8 when you get your x very narrow, so when you bend your loops in to make the back it doesn't widen your x. The straight pin shouldn't get in the way of your sally clip or stitching, cinching or wrapping around. This is a pretty good method, actually.

I know what you mean about the center spreading it apart. I love doing 1/4" straight gg for the center for this very reason. If you overly exaggerate the angles of your fronts, the center will pull it apart, but the angles of the ribbon will push them back in, curving the centers of the loops a bit like this:

redpolkie1.jpg

I wish I had taken more of a straight on shot. I think you can see what I'm trying to say... These are made out of 7/8" ribbon with a flat 1/4" center.

Last edited by lilredsmiles; 12-23-2009 at 02:49.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg