New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-18-2009, 01:55

Default Korked Ribbon

I want to start making korkers. I wasn't a fan of them at first, but seeing all the adorable ones you guys have posted has made me fall in love with them. 1.) Who/where is the best place to buy korked ribbon? 3.) Are they easy to make? 4.) How do you make them? For example, what length do you cut them; and how many do you use to make your korker look full and round? 5.) What kind of clip do you use on them, alligator, french barrette, or snap clips? Or, is the clip choice your preference? Sorry for all the questions, but you guys always have the right answer for me when I have a question, or two, or three or bajillion...LOL!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2009, 12:13

Default Re: Korked Ribbon

That's a lot of questions - I'll start by saying I think a lot of the answers you are looking for are here - you just have to search fro them!
1-Buy pre-korked ribbon on ebay or post a thread here in the ISO category.
2-easy? yes. time-consuming? also a yes.
3-depends on how big you want them. making smallers ones requires shorter cut ribbon and fewer pieces than the larger ones.
4-also depends on the size of the korker. baby korkers can go on snap clips.

Jennifer
Another crafty stay at home mom~www.3aminspirations.com
Old 12-19-2009, 11:34

I make my own korked ribbon and I sew them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby2000 View Post
I want to start making korkers. I wasn't a fan of them at first, but seeing all the adorable ones you guys have posted has made me fall in love with them. 1.) Who/where is the best place to buy korked ribbon? 3.) Are they easy to make? 4.) How do you make them? For example, what length do you cut them; and how many do you use to make your korker look full and round? 5.) What kind of clip do you use on them, alligator, french barrette, or snap clips? Or, is the clip choice your preference? Sorry for all the questions, but you guys always have the right answer for me when I have a question, or two, or three or bajillion...LOL!
Old 12-19-2009, 12:16

https://www.theribbonretreat.com/cus...bonandBows.pdf

There is a good link to get you started! There are some great threads on here for tips on baking. I had a hard time with korking enough to make a decent sized bow. I think it takes between 7-9 yards for a really full korker, cut into about 2.5"-3".

good luck.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:18

*7-9 yards, BEFORE it is korked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorBrittany View Post
https://www.theribbonretreat.com/cus...bonandBows.pdf

There is a good link to get you started! There are some great threads on here for tips on baking. I had a hard time with korking enough to make a decent sized bow. I think it takes between 7-9 yards for a really full korker, cut into about 2.5"-3".

good luck.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:03

I think it easier to make them yourself instead of buying them. Pm me and I will do a tut for you.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:00

Personally, I use 5 yards per korker. Mine are about 3" wide. After the ribbon is cut it ends up being about 25 korked "pieces".
I use 1/4 dowels to korker. I spray first with starch and then with hairspray and bake @ 275 for about 45 minutes (most people do about 25 but I like to leave it in longer) Immediately after cooking I set the dowels in front of a fan to quick cool them. They seem to hold their shape better this way (or maybe I just think they do )
I use a rotary cutter to cut my ribbon so I can do lots of it at once. Just lay the ribbon out, measure your size for the cuts, and then hold a ruler down on top to make it easier to cut.
After the korker is made I trim the ends and heat seal. It takes me about an hour to make around 60 korkers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg korker purple yellow.jpg (37.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg korker christmas.jpg (278.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-19-2009, 05:36

Iuse anywhere from 3-11 yards of ribbon per korker! they are NOT easy to make, even if you do buy ribbon prekorked! it takes a long time to perfect them perfect shape :0)
Old 12-19-2009, 05:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowHeadz View Post
Personally, I use 5 yards per korker. Mine are about 3" wide. After the ribbon is cut it ends up being about 25 korked "pieces".
I use 1/4 dowels to korker. I spray first with starch and then with hairspray and bake @ 275 for about 45 minutes (most people do about 25 but I like to leave it in longer) Immediately after cooking I set the dowels in front of a fan to quick cool them. They seem to hold their shape better this way (or maybe I just think they do )
I use a rotary cutter to cut my ribbon so I can do lots of it at once. Just lay the ribbon out, measure your size for the cuts, and then hold a ruler down on top to make it easier to cut.
After the korker is made I trim the ends and heat seal. It takes me about an hour to make around 60 korkers!

I also like kate use the quick cool method, but i put mine immedely into the freezer from the oven. I do not starch, and they really hold their shape this way!
Old 12-19-2009, 05:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfancypants View Post
I also like kate use the quick cool method, but i put mine immedely into the freezer from the oven. I do not starch, and they really hold their shape this way!
LoL I put mine into the freezer once. My SO got soooo mad when he went to get ice cream and it was impossible to get to. Haha
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.

Tags
korker, korkers