Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-07-2008, 10:04

Default Re: Learn from my mistake!

That is something I would try. But just goes to proove that cutting corners isn't as good as it sounds. Laughing with you!
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 02-07-2008, 10:36

Thumbs down Re: Learn from my mistake!

I will put that on my list of things not to try!!! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:42

Bless your heart for showing us, lol!

Funny thing is, I did see on another forum someone talking about microwaving korkers, but I never explored it because I knew I couldn't put my clothespins (they have metal) in the microwave.

My sordid tale...I had a stretchy headband that I had a spot of hot glue on it. I had read somewhere (why do I believe what I read) that you could pop it into the microwave for just a few secs to melt the glue and take it off. Well...it just plain started melting...after only about 15 seconds!

ISO: manners
Old 02-07-2008, 11:45

OMG..hehe.. lesson learned.. tnx
Old 02-08-2008, 08:29

My inner scientist is sooooo wanting to break out on this one, lol! I'll try to spare you all the details that can be 'boring' to anyone who isn't as geeky as I am.

Due to the way microwaves cook, there's actually no way to lower the 'temperature.' Even when you lower the 'power setting' they'll cook for a few seconds and then rest, cook for a few more seconds and rest some more, and so on and so forth. Listen to yours the next time you cook something on a lower setting - you can actually hear it turning on and off the whole time.

I really, really, really wouldn't recommend putting anything in a microwave other than the types of food meant to be cooked in them. The reason many different foods do so well is that they some form of liquid content that makes it possible to be cooked in this manner. The micro waves emitted by the microwave cook the food by affecting the water molecules. Things that are fundamentally dry won't do so well because what small amount of liquid there is will burn off super fast, causing bad things to happen.

Alright, you've all had your dose of science for the day. Hopefully that wasn't too detailed.

I totally have to give you massive props for trying though! Sure the temp can't be reduced, but the cooking time could. I can't help but wonder what only 5-10 seconds would do. Not that I'll try it myself...
Old 02-08-2008, 09:54

ouch!... lol...Hope the smell went away already... =)

I'm not all that. I just like the last part.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:34

Oh, I LOVE IT!!!! You made my whole day! That's awesome.

I am laughing 'cause that's the kind of crazy stuff I do. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does things like that. In my last korker batch, I sprayed them with starch and then baked (I swear someone said you can do that). Well...I had toasty ribbon, toasty dowel rods, toasty everything! NOT GOOD!

You know- I did something similar with a non-microwavable safe bowl. I didn't think to look at the bowl and see if it was safe. UM NOPE! Melted the whole bowl. It wouldn't have been so bad except it was in front of my STUDENTS and in the CAFETERIA at school! I stunk up the whole place!

Reminds me of the time that I had sewage back up and run through the lab into the math teacher's room.... LOL (that was a good one) Or...how about the time I had the entire school evacuated due to a gas leak????

Really, thanks for the laugh. I think that's awesome!

Tonya- I'm a science nerd too.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:19

is that tape on there?

thanks for sharing so we don't try it!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisha View Post
is that tape on there?

thanks for sharing so we don't try it!
... come to think of it, it looks like the worst burning is where the tape was (if it is, indeed, tape). I wonder if the tape made the situation worse? The middle of the pink ribbon actually looks pretty good.

Something else I've been wondering is if your ribbon was damp or dry when you microwaved it.

If I still had an old microwave (I sold my two old ones in a garage sale last year) I would try and figure this out ... in the name of science.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:20

yup... that is tape. I don't own clothes pins and i am too cheap to go buy them. hence the trying to microwave the corkers!!!

I actually was able to use a bit of the blue. I tossed the entire thing shortly after this pic was taken.

I then put on the awesome new exhaust fan that my DH installed about 3 weeks ago and left the house for a few hours. The house didn't smell by the time I got back. But it took a few days for the microwave to stop smelling. I am just thankful that it didn't seem to ruin the microwave! It is brand new...2 months.

so there you go my time and energy saving venture was a bust!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif