New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-11-2009, 02:26
Default Wrong kind of ribbon?

Hi, I'm new to making bows and I think I've got some wrong kind of ribbons. I'm not sure what the proper name is, but it's smooth to touch. Very much like the kind of ribbon people use to put on gift but not as stiff. I've tried using it to make the basic bow, as well as the pinwheel. But they just didn't look right. I've thought that it's probably my bow making skill. But when I used grosgrain ribbon to make these bows, they all look right. What's going on? Am I not suppose to use these ribbons to make bows? Or there are different ways to make bows using this type of ribbons? I've got several rows of these ribbons from Michaels and now I'm not sure what to do with them. Please help me.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2009, 08:02
Default Re: Wrong kind of ribbon?

Hmmm....I'm not 100% sure which ribbon type you are referring to, but there is one type of ribbon that I refer to as gift wrapping ribbon called acetate or craft or floral ribbon. The type of ribbon is used to make those pre-made bows that you peel the sticky back and stick on a package. Is this the type of ribbon you are referring to? If so, there is no need in wasting your time making bows with that. All it is good for is gift wrapping or embellishing floral arrangements (in my opinion). If you are talking about organza ribbon (which is kind of a sheer ribbon that can come wired or unwired), then you could make hairbows with those. Off the top of my head, there are about 3 different types of ribbon used in making bows: grosgrain, satin, and organza. Grosgrain is the most standard ribbon used. Hope this helps!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:35

If it is shiny it may be satin ribbon. I do not like using it because it can be flimsy and make your bows look flat.

I prefer using grosgrain just because it stands better. (Schiff and Offray are my prefered brand names because I don't have to spray them to keep shape)
Old 12-11-2009, 01:23

I think I've got those gift wrapping type. . What a waste of money. Are there any use of it in the area of making bows?
Old 12-11-2009, 04:32

You can use still use your satin ribbon for lots of different things like clippies & toggles. But I agree that when you're starting out grosgrain is MUCH easier to deal with in just about all areas!
Sponsored Links
little pink ladybug