http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-09-2009, 02:36

Default seasoned twisted boutique makers, INOA!!!

I have seen so many bows lately that I am in awe of and I really want to step up my bow making game! When I started making bows I had no idea that forms, directions or templates even existed, therefore, I would purchase a bow and take it apart, then reproduce it. So I guess I don't really know the "proper" techniques for assembling them. I just have a few questions....(*you can kick me if I am missing them on a search somewhere..LOL!)
I want to try making some of these on templates. It takes me seriously an hour to complete a layered twisted w/ spikes. What would you say the best template set would be for this type of bow? Second question is; when you are layering the ribbon, ie. 1.5" solid w/ 7/8" solid, w/ 3/8 dots on top of that, (is this making sense?) what do you use to fuse the ribbon w/out it rippling when you twist the bow?
OK, one last thing.....do you bake it after it is tied (if so, what temp)? If so , do you starch it first?
Thanks so much for helping me learn the "real" art of making bows
Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2009, 02:45

Default Re: seasoned twisted boutique makers, INOA!!!

Answers in PInk . Although, I must say that this is my method, and like you, I may not use the "proper" method. There is no one right way, so choose what works for you and toss out what doesn't. My method is a potpourri of what I like from all of the free knowlege I've gained over the past few years (and I tossed out what I thought was pointless ). I've never paid for any of the expensive, well-guarded secrets lol. I'll be interested to see what the other gals say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpj58 View Post
I have seen so many bows lately that I am in awe of and I really want to step up my bow making game! When I started making bows I had no idea that forms, directions or templates even existed, therefore, I would purchase a bow and take it apart, then reproduce it. So I guess I don't really know the "proper" techniques for assembling them. I just have a few questions....(*you can kick me if I am missing them on a search somewhere..LOL!)
I want to try making some of these on templates. It takes me seriously an hour to complete a layered twisted w/ spikes. What would you say the best template set would be for this type of bow? Home made Or the templates from Ribbonheaven! Second question is; when you are layering the ribbon, ie. 1.5" solid w/ 7/8" solid, w/ 3/8 dots on top of that, (is this making sense?) what do you use to fuse the ribbon w/out it rippling when you twist the bow? Heat N Bond Lite
OK, one last thing.....do you bake it after it is tied (if so, what temp)? If so , do you starch it first? Yes. Douse with sta-flo (laundry starch in the big, blue jug 50-50 mixed with water), put on a parchment lined cookie sheet ( so the metal or carbon on the sheet does not discolor your bow). Then bake at whatever temp & time you bake your korkers at. I do 260 for 20 min.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
Answers in PInk . Although, I must say that this is my method, and like you, I may not use the "proper" method. There is no one right way, so choose what works for you and toss out what doesn't. My method is a potpourri of what I like from all of the free knowlege I've gained over the past few years (and I tossed out what I thought was pointless ). I've never paid for any of the expensive, well-guarded secrets lol. I'll be interested to see what the other gals say...
Thanks for taking the time to help me out! So the heat and bond, does that come in a roll, skinny like ribbon, or do you cut it? I was just watching some of the tuts on the sites that you listed and I seriously need to go back to "bow School!" I don't even own a wood burner. And do you use hot fix? I never have. Sometimes when I bake my bows the white gets a little tarnished. Does that ever happen to you? Should I just retire???
Old 12-09-2009, 04:05

Quote:
I want to try making some of these on templates. It takes me seriously an hour to complete a layered twisted w/ spikes. What would you say the best template set would be for this type of bow? Second question is; when you are layering the ribbon, ie. 1.5" solid w/ 7/8" solid, w/ 3/8 dots on top of that, (is this making sense?) what do you use to fuse the ribbon w/out it rippling when you twist the bow?
OK, one last thing.....do you bake it after it is tied (if so, what temp)? If so , do you starch it first?
Hmmm..well I don't get the fuse part question. I don't bake my bows, except of course for my korkers. The night I decided to make bows I purchased a instruction packet via Internet. I wont mention names because I feel that it was misleading. It didn't teach the bows it said it did and it cost $25.00! What a waste and the worst part is, as of today, I don't make any bows the way the booklet instructed. I feel you should just go with your instincts. I learned my technique, if you can call it that . By trial and error (and about 200 in wasted ribbon) Don't be afraid to use different techniques and test the waters!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredsmiles View Post
OK, one last thing.....do you bake it after it is tied (if so, what temp)? If so , do you starch it first? Yes. Douse with sta-flo (laundry starch in the big, blue jug 50-50 mixed with water), put on a parchment lined cookie sheet ( so the metal or carbon on the sheet does not discolor your bow). Then bake at whatever temp & time you bake your korkers at. I do 260 for 20 min.
THANK-YOU! I asked about this a little while ago because my bows were browning and nobody knew why it was happening...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55

When I 1st started trying to make bows I tried a few times with different free instructions but I didn't have the patience to just keep practicing until I got it. I saw the ad on HG for the TNT templates and rationalized with myself I would waste a lot more than $30 in ribbon without them so I got them and I LOVE them! She also gives lots of basic bow making tips. They don't help as much for the twisted as they do the other bows but she gives really good instructions for it too and after several tries I got it down too. (It's kind of like bow-making home school lol!!)

www.sassyfrog.etsy.com
Old 12-09-2009, 05:20

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to help me out! So the heat and bond, does that come in a roll, skinny like ribbon, or do you cut it? I was just watching some of the tuts on the sites that you listed and I seriously need to go back to "bow School!" I don't even own a wood burner. And do you use hot fix? I never have. Sometimes when I bake my bows the white gets a little tarnished. Does that ever happen to you? Should I just retire???
You can get heat n bond by the yard for fabric, or on a skinny roll. I have both for different applications. You'll want the skinny stuff for fusing ribbon 7/8 or smaller. I am seriously going to buy myself a wood burner after Christmas. I'm really happy with my lighter, but I'm going to step into the hotfix world soon & wood burners can do hotfix . So far all I've done with rhinestones is Gem-Tac glue, which works really well for non-hotfix (the rhinestone guy sings its praises too). Yes, the white gets tarnished if it gets too hot. that is the starch scorching. You can wash your bow with liquid dish soap and warm water and it will come clean. No need to bake again you have already reshaped your polyester permanently. But I would re-starch and let air dry.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:27

I have trouble reading and following directions without a picture. I'm VERY visual. The TNT templates.. do you just put your ribbon on top of it and and fold the bow.. I don't understand how the templets work..
Old 12-09-2009, 05:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileeDesigns View Post
I have trouble reading and following directions without a picture. I'm VERY visual. The TNT templates.. do you just put your ribbon on top of it and and fold the bow.. I don't understand how the templets work..
Here is a tutorial for pinwheels with a home made template: Hair-hardware.com HTH!

Old 12-09-2009, 05:53

I have bought every instructional aide and book out there that there is including the templates. To be honest now I use a little of what all of them teach and started doing them my own way.

Practice, practice, practice is the big secret.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg