New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-11-2011, 02:42

Default Re: Need cheer bow help

The spray adhesive does make it stiff, but not as stiff as H/B. I've used it on literally all types of fabrics with great results. I would wear a pair of plastic gloves while applying the adhesive and fusing the fabric to the ribbon so that your hands don't get sticky. I hope this works out for you. I've never had a problem with separation with this method.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/candylandbeads.jpg
Old 05-13-2011, 08:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinaz View Post
The spray adhesive does make it stiff, but not as stiff as H/B. I've used it on literally all types of fabrics with great results. I would wear a pair of plastic gloves while applying the adhesive and fusing the fabric to the ribbon so that your hands don't get sticky. I hope this works out for you. I've never had a problem with separation with this method.
Ive had different results with spray glue. When Ive bought bows using spray glue they have been super stiff and they come apart easily.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:03

I went to Hobby Lobby today to buy some HnB to work on some cheer bows. They didn't have what I needed so on a lark I bought some Womder Under! I used it to bond sequin fabric to grosgrain. It worked perfectly and the ribbon was not near as stiff. Just thought I would share!

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Old 05-14-2011, 07:15

marking
Old 05-14-2011, 09:14

Ladies who are new to the forum and mark posts to subscribe to the thread. There is an easy way to do this without posting"marking". Please check under the FAQs to subscribe to these threads that you would like to remember for future use.

Last edited by gmcks2001; 05-14-2011 at 09:18.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcks2001 View Post
I went to Hobby Lobby today to buy some HnB to work on some cheer bows. They didn't have what I needed so on a lark I bought some Womder Under! I used it to bond sequin fabric to grosgrain. It worked perfectly and the ribbon was not near as stiff. Just thought I would share!
I have had separation issues with Wonder Under after a few wears, let me know how it works for you!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkins View Post
I have had separation issues with Wonder Under after a few wears, let me know how it works for you!
Thanks for the tip. I will keep my eye on it!

Old 05-20-2011, 03:02

I know I'm new here but I thought I would share a tip. Several others mentioned how hard it is to crease/sew the bows. I cut my heat-n-bond in half. Then I mark the center of the fabric and leave a small gap (about 1/4 inch). That way the bow is still nice and stiff and its not hard to get the needle through when you don't have to sew through the h-n-b. Once you cover the middle with your ribbon bow center, you won't have any problem with fraying. HTH!!!
Old 05-20-2011, 03:51

There is no hobby lobby here!!! UGH!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48

man, i KNEW i'd read this somewhere. i just found it again. i made a bowthe other day with animal print spandex. i bonded the spandex to grosgrain ribbon using HnB. i gave it to my neighbor and now, after reading the below, i'm wondering if the spandex is going to separate.

so, do you bond the fabric to iron on vinyl INSTEAD of to ribbon or do you use the iron on vinyl to bond the fabric to the ribbon?

so confused. thanks!!

sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkhawkfan View Post
Woodkins:
I've been using a combination of HnB or vinyl n glue for various bows I make. I never use glue on fabric unless the fabric has been bonded to iron on vinyl first. It seems like a lot of steps, but it's not really, and the E6000 + vinyl combination for any fabrics I use has never come apart, even with a season's worth of wearing. (Side note: the whole reason I got started with making cheer bows: My daughter has two bows from a large bow company who's initials may or may not be PB that you can clearly see the glue underneath the white seqiun, red mystique, and silver mystique fabrics. Not all were dark, see through glue lines, but more like you could see lumpy, squiggly lines of the glue under the fabric. Especially since the mystique catches the light and reflects it, you could really see the lines under the gym lites.)
If the mystique is the first layer, then I use HB Ultra to bond the fabric to the base ribbon (ironed on the front and back sides, about 15 sec a side - use a cloth between iron n fabric when ironing the top side). If spandex is the next layer, then I bond my fabric to the vinyl, then cut to the width (or wave) I need, then glue the fabric/vinyl piece to the base layer, be it fabric or ribbon. This not only gives the fabric a little body, but it has a solid base so it won't stretch during the gluing process or allow the glue to show through.

Sequins always get HnB lite to the same-color ribbon, then glued onto the next layer, if any. Plain GG gets HnB ultra, for the most part. i usually try to limit sequin layers to HnB lite, but I tried that once with a zebra ribbon with icky results, so you never know....
Hope this answers your questions!
Shelleigh
Get your cheer on!
Sponsored Links

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/theribboncarnival.jpg