http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-30-2011, 10:00

Default Re: Need cheer bow help

marking too! trying my first cheer bow tonight and i'm sure i'll be referencing this post at least a few more times befor the night is over. thank you!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 04-30-2011, 10:09

i haven't even started and i have questions already. the bow i'm making tonight won't have any mettalic or sequined fabric, but i did just do a google search and now i'm more confused than ever. i've seen the term "mystique" used in the forum - is this mystique spandex? or satin?

after i figure out what the right kind of mettalic and/or sequin fabric to use, would you all let me know the best place to buy it from?

thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions!

Sandy
Old 04-30-2011, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmisook View Post
i haven't even started and i have questions already. the bow i'm making tonight won't have any mettalic or sequined fabric, but i did just do a google search and now i'm more confused than ever. i've seen the term "mystique" used in the forum - is this mystique spandex? or satin?

after i figure out what the right kind of mettalic and/or sequin fabric to use, would you all let me know the best place to buy it from?

thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions!

Sandy
Mystique fabric used in cheer bows is spandex. Best place to find it is either Spandex House or Spandex World.

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Old 04-30-2011, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcks2001 View Post
Mystique fabric used in cheer bows is spandex. Best place to find it is either Spandex House or Spandex World.
thanks so much!! i will check it out got to get off this darn computer and get cutting/glueing/tying!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinaz View Post
I bond my fabric or sequin material with spray adhesive. I'm using Elmer's Extra Strength Spray Adhesive right now. It is a little sticky when you are making them, but the bond is permanent. I've been making cheer bows for around six years now, and I've found that this is the best method for making a permanent bond. I also use thin wire in the center to secure my creases and put my layers together. It's fast and secure and when you add your knot and hair tie, all of the metal (including on the hair tie) is completely covered. I'm kind of a stickler about that, my dd has been cheerleading for 9 years now and is currently doing a mini camp for tryouts this week (it's for her freshman year in HS). About 75% of the girls trying out are wearing my bows.
Spray adhesive? Really? I'm very interested in trying this. I've always used HB Lite. Tell me, does the spray adhesive make it a little less stiff than the heat bond? And does it work for all fabrics including the mystique fabric? Thanks so much!

Tonya
Old 05-02-2011, 01:16

well, i got two cheer bows finished for my co-worker's sister. the TNT tuts and the advice from this forum were lifesavers. they definitely aren't perfect and i wish i had more time to get them perfected, but it was a last-minute request for samples and i had to pony up something. i don't know if i didn't use the hnb correctly (i followed the directions) but i found that the ribbon was not staying fused together i'm going to try the elmer's next time, i think, like gmcks2001 recommended, because CLEARLY she knows what she's doing!!! all of the pictures posted by gmcks2001 are AMAZING and inspirational!! they are LOT harder than they look! i wish i'd taken pictures before bringing the bows to work so i could get some constructive criticism but i completely forgot! duh...

anyway, just wanted to share my experience and give a shout out and big thanks to gmcks2001
Old 05-03-2011, 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmisook View Post
well, i got two cheer bows finished for my co-worker's sister. the TNT tuts and the advice from this forum were lifesavers. they definitely aren't perfect and i wish i had more time to get them perfected, but it was a last-minute request for samples and i had to pony up something. i don't know if i didn't use the hnb correctly (i followed the directions) but i found that the ribbon was not staying fused together i'm going to try the elmer's next time, i think, like gmcks2001 recommended, because CLEARLY she knows what she's doing!!! all of the pictures posted by gmcks2001 are AMAZING and inspirational!! they are LOT harder than they look! i wish i'd taken pictures before bringing the bows to work so i could get some constructive criticism but i completely forgot! duh...

anyway, just wanted to share my experience and give a shout out and big thanks to gmcks2001
Thank you very much for the nice compliments. The Elmer's spray adhesive is not my idea, but I read that same post and am very interested in trying it out.

I am not sure why you may have had a problem with the HnB. It always works for me. Another fine lady on this board and friend of mine, Blkhwkfan has used HnB Ultra (in red package) on her spandex. Perhaps if she sees this she could weigh in.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to fire away. I do not make cheer bows as a business accept locally to me, so most of the tips and techniques I use, I am very willing to share. There are a few patterns that have been shared with me, that I cannot share, but I will always do my best to help point you in the right direction.

Congratulations on your foot in the door with your cheer bows. I hope you get a great order out of it!

Ann

Old 05-03-2011, 11:30

You all are posting great ideas. I have had the hardest struggles with the sequin fabric. I seem to have a fraying problem when I start to fold. I think I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what... I think I need to use a fray check on the edges or something. I really dislike working with sequins, but I love working with spandex. I would love to know how to make the wavy lines if anyone would like to share. Thanks in advance, and all of your bows are great looking!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGirlAfter3Boys View Post
You all are posting great ideas. I have had the hardest struggles with the sequin fabric. I seem to have a fraying problem when I start to fold. I think I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what... I think I need to use a fray check on the edges or something. I really dislike working with sequins, but I love working with spandex. I would love to know how to make the wavy lines if anyone would like to share. Thanks in advance, and all of your bows are great looking!
I am not sure why you are having problems with sequins. I use HnB Lite and never have had an issue. Definately have never had any fraying either. Are you making sure the fabric and ribbon are bonded together completely? Are you letting it cool to set? Those could be the only two things I could think would be causing your problem.

The wavy line bow is not something that you can really make a TUT for. It is really just a template cut with a rotary cutter. If you notice, it is only done to one side of the bow.

HTH!

ANN

Old 05-06-2011, 10:26

christinaz - thank you for the elmer's spray idea. forry for reading that wrong! i'm going to try it out this weekend.

gmcks2001 - thanks for your offer to help with us newbie cheer bow makers! i am definitely going to give the HnB another try. i must have done something wrong. if it works for all you other ladies, then it's got to work for me too! i'm interested to use the spray adhesive, too, though.

will post pictures this time, too, for sure!

Sandy
Sponsored Links