http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-27-2009, 08:57

Default Re: I have a business dilema ... need help!

I'm sorry your meeting didn't go well! I think you should start ordering your ribbon online instead of walmart if you want to make a bigger profit. I sell my bows to 4 boutiques here in Charlotte. 2 of them are consignment so I get 50% of their retail prices. They sell my bows for a lot more than I do so I actually get paid the same as I charge or more. I get a check every month from both shops. For the other 2 shops they buy everything upfront so I sell for half price. I sell a 4 inch bow on mynsite for $4 and I sell it to the 2 shops for $2.00. I only spend about .25 to make each bow so to me it is worth it. They also buy at least $300 worth at a time. I don't put anything on cards. I started out hanging everything on ribbon strips and now I just take bows and they hang them. Maybe you could tell her that you could give her a better price but she would have to provide the cards to hang them or hang the on ribbon strips. If she doesn't go for it then that's her loss.
Yvonne
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 11-27-2009, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydelaney View Post
I'm sorry your meeting didn't go well! I think you should start ordering your ribbon online instead of walmart if you want to make a bigger profit. I sell my bows to 4 boutiques here in Charlotte. 2 of them are consignment so I get 50% of their retail prices. They sell my bows for a lot more than I do so I actually get paid the same as I charge or more. I get a check every month from both shops. For the other 2 shops they buy everything upfront so I sell for half price. I sell a 4 inch bow on mynsite for $4 and I sell it to the 2 shops for $2.00. I only spend about .25 to make each bow so to me it is worth it. They also buy at least $300 worth at a time. I don't put anything on cards. I started out hanging everything on ribbon strips and now I just take bows and they hang them. Maybe you could tell her that you could give her a better price but she would have to provide the cards to hang them or hang the on ribbon strips. If she doesn't go for it then that's her loss.
Yvonne
Thanks, I do not normally get ribbon from wal-mart. I just went and got the satin because she wanted samples asap, and I did not have satin. If I sold them to her at $2.50, she'd make $4.50 off of them and I'd make about $2., maybe a few cents more. I don't think that it's fair for me to do all the work and someone else make more than double my profit. We didn't really get into details, but I would have advertised her store on my website and she could have put them on my cards or her own. I also wouldn't mind having her business cards at my booth, at a craft show. There were other details that could have made my offer more attractive, but we didn't sit down and talk. I got a couple minutes her and a couple minutes there. I will just have to keep trying other places and maybe get a sit down meeting so we can go through everything.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:04

I'm glad you stuck to your guns! It's not fair at all for her to be making all the money on it when you are the one doing all the work. From what I have read on here, you were being very fair to her on pricing. You DO have to pay yourself enough to make it worth your time! Good luck!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahomommyof4 View Post
I'm glad you stuck to your guns! It's not fair at all for her to be making all the money on it when you are the one doing all the work. From what I have read on here, you were being very fair to her on pricing. You DO have to pay yourself enough to make it worth your time! Good luck!
Thanks, I thought about giving them to her at 30%, but them I'd have to do that for any other retail store I may get. I saw on her window today that she's celebrating 26 years so it would have be nice to be in a well established store, but that's okay. I'd rather not feel like I was working like a dog to make someone more money than me. I think that's what part of my business degree was for? I'm still paying for that. I'm here is she ever changed her mind or wants some of my seasonal items. She didn't really have sculptures so perhaps she will think of that. I actually charge less for those, but boutique bows can be a pain sometimes. Thanks you all for your help and support. I really need someone to help me sort through the 500 thoughts that go with these deals.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:07

I am able to sell my bows for cheaper at the consignment store as I have started doing and participating in group buys, you can buy 50 yards of ribbon for what you buy the spool at walmart for.

I am hosting a UB buy in Group Buys right now, it is great for 3/8 inch and hardware and I have never had trouble
Old 11-28-2009, 05:52

Allison, when are you closing that out? I will have to think about that. I wanted to before, but then some people were saying it's flimsy. I have a ribbon supplier and her ribbon is really nice, I've gotten some cheap white ribbon somewhere else once, and you can tell the difference. The white is thinner, but stiffer. I know, that sounds weird. I will have to find the price list, I know it's posted somewhere and check out their colors again. How much does shipping generally run? Thanks, Bonnie
Old 11-28-2009, 05:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintb View Post
Allison, when are you closing that out? I will have to think about that. I wanted to before, but then some people were saying it's flimsy. I have a ribbon supplier and her ribbon is really nice, I've gotten some cheap white ribbon somewhere else once, and you can tell the difference. The white is thinner, but stiffer. I know, that sounds weird. I will have to find the price list, I know it's posted somewhere and check out their colors again. How much does shipping generally run? Thanks, Bonnie
closing dec 4th.....it is in group buys
Old 11-28-2009, 06:15

Thanks, how long does it take to get in?
Old 11-28-2009, 06:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintb View Post
Thanks, how long does it take to get in?
Shes pretty inconsistent, I would say about a week to a week and a half!!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:14

I have been selling wholesale for 7 years now. True wholesale is where you set the terms and pricing and the buyer can mark up the price to whatever they want. Their pricing should not be dependent on what you think they can sell it for. I have customers all the time ask me what to sell the bows for and I tell them they need to see what they will sell for in their area. For example, our most popular boutique baby bows are $1.25 each. Some shops simply double the price and sell for $2.50 and others sell for $6 each because they can. Customers who buy wholesale from you need to be minimally able to double the price they paid for the product to sell it and make a profit. Our single layer, 4 inch twisted boutique bows made from 1 1/2 inch grosgrain sell for $2.25 no matter who buys them and how much they sell them for. I hope this helps in future meetings.
Sponsored Links