New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-24-2009, 05:58

Default Re: I have a business dilema ... need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtralinda View Post
Like Allison said, you can put the bows without your name on it so nobody will know who makes them and you can still run your bussines like usual.
Be professional, courteous and don't let her intimidate you.
Sometimes you need to compromise, but don't compromise your website or be able to sell anywhere else. Ask about what she expects her sales to be just for bows, the markup, etc, etc.

I really hope everything will work out as you want. Wish you the best!!!
Thanks, I will. I am keeping all this in mind. I hope I can work something out with her so we can both leave the meeting happy.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 06:20

That is insane! No way!

Old 11-25-2009, 05:55

woooow. That's totally insane!!! You wouldn't be working for her, you would be selling to her. This would be a business/client, type relationship not a boss/employee relationship.

I know she must want to have an edge and carry something special to her store, but like someone pointed out - she's not Walmart.

This is something you worked hard to do and you should be free to make money any way you can!!

One store I sold to I put my logo on the cards, but NO contact info. I guess they could google me and find my website, but the type of people that shop there and spend the amount of money they charge for basic bows would probably rather just go down the street and shop in person.

Another store just hangs all the bows from ribbon hangers. BUT this store owner is so nice to actually help me out with my business. For instance, there was a local fire department fund raiser. Well she got me the info to donate items and encouraged me to add my business card. At first I didn't want to becasue I didn't want to ake business away from her, but she told me that I should do whatever helps me make money.

Another one actually buys her own bow cards with the STORE name on it and so there is no way for them to figure out who made them.

So I definitely don't think you should go for that kind of deal.... see if she is willing to do the whole store name card or something like that...

Another thing I don't get is it would also help gain business for the stores if you do craft shows. At my last one I told everyone what stores my products were carried in so they could gain better access to them that way. I was going to hand out business cards as well, but I forgot to ask. You could always offer that option ... if you do craft shows you can hand out both yours AND her business card.

Hopefully all goes well for you today. It's a great opportunity, but the details need to be worked out a little better!!

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by njzmom View Post
you can also offer a line that is only made for her store.

you need to be able to operate under your own name too. that is some crazy non-compete clause she has made up!!

maybe you can offer special ribbon, or a type of bow exclusive to her.
That is what I was going to suggest. I have heard of stores wanting exclusive rights before..."you can't sell any where within a 100 mile radius or online", "you can't sell the same item to anyone else" etc. I would never agree to that. I would offer her an exclusive item or bow...something made just for her store (maybe a certain ribbon) with a label stating "made exclusively for so and so". I would let her know if she would like to carry any of you other items she may but you have full control of those items and may sell them to any one, any where, including your website and craft shows.

Diane
Old 11-26-2009, 12:08

How did it go?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:41

Are you all just itching to know? ... It went better than I thought, but a bit unorganized. I got there and she was talking to a lady at the counter, but told me to put my stuff up there. We talked about the bows, she said Christmas is really about done for her, but she liked some of my Christmas thing and said the headbands were nice, but what she may be interested in right now would be grosgrain and satin twisted or boutique type bows, in red and white. She wants them for $2- 2.50. I did not check her price on the one she showed me that she wants them to look like. Does that sound reasonable. Since I have to do this right now, I have to get my satin ribbon at Wal-mart for .37/yard and I have tons of clips so that's not a problem. These bows are going to be made with 7/8" ribbon and will be just one single bow. She wants a sample, then if she likes them would order a dozen. I was kind of thinking that she is shooting kind of low on the price. She wants 4-5" bows, and most people sell them for $5-6, and I've seen them even for $10. 20% off $5 is 4. I would like to get this order and I told her I would bring the samples on Friday, and that I may be able to do $2.50. I haven't done ones that look exactly like hers, but I just have to tweak mine a little. I have to make my loops bigger and tails longer. I'm afraid if I tell her $3.50 she'll say no, but that would be 30% off $5, which I have a feeling she may be selling hers for more especially with being the only children's boutique in town. I hate to seem greedy, but that sound really fair to me, that would be for grosgrain and probably $4 for these in satin. Some more opinions would be great. She was nice, but I only got 15 minutes of her time, then customers came in and she took a phone call during our meeting. It was very brief, I spent more time looking at ribbon afterwards. Thanks again, Bonnie
Old 11-26-2009, 12:48

Oh yeah, we did not even get into who's cards they will be displayed on or if I can put them on my site too, or not. This particular bow I do not have right now so I am not worried about that, and I was mostly planning on using satin for the little boys' bowties. I would like to have them on my cards, which I order, but do not have in yet. Then I thought I could advertise for her on my website by having a picture of what I made for her and put find these exclusives at ... (insert store name).
Old 11-26-2009, 12:55

Glad it went better than you expected, let us know how things go, find out what price she sells them for and that might give you a better idea.......
Old 11-26-2009, 01:01

Thanks. She does already have a lot of bows on her wall, but mostly solids and a few others. She said the interchangable bow was her idea and another company stole it. Maybe locally, but I knew about it before she said anything, but that is what she wants these to be. If I had been there a couple months ago she may have been interested in some sculptures and other bows for on top of the base bows. I hope this will work out and she will call me in the future for other bows.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:52

Well, I brought in my samples today. Everything went so fast at the first meeting, I honestly didn't remember what size the center ribbon in her bow was and I guessed wrong and used wider ribbon, but no biggy. That's easy to change. I did check and she has the same bow for $6 and I was basing my discount on a price of $5 so I told her that I'd do the first dozen for the $2.50 she wanted, but after that it would be at a 20% discount from my website prices. She said she can't pay $4 per bow. I said ok, you saw my other work too so let me know if anything changes or you want something else in the furture. I feel that I was very generous and if I bend for her, I will have to follow suit with all others. I was very patient in waiting for her to help customers and find time to talk for a few minutes with me. I was pretty disappointed. I hope I can find a store nearby to get into. This lady already had tons of bows and is probably just looking to make a bigger profit on them. I am doing all the production work and would even put them on my own cards so she would only have to display them , and wants me to sell them to her at 50% off. I'd be working my butt off for very little profit so I guess I will just keep looking. Does anyone have tips on how to find info on craft shows in your area, without paying for it? I think a show would help me a lot, but I want one with a low table fee for my first one. Thanks for helping. Well, at least I have a hat order to fill. That makes me feel a little better.
Sponsored Links