New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-22-2009, 12:32

Default Desperately need ideas for show other than bows

My friend and I have now done 2 craft shows together. It works out really well having both of us together since we keep each other company. She makes hair bows and I make bottle cap stuff. The only problem is that her hair bows are hardly selling. I don't get it. She makes some incredible stuff and her bows are not ugly by any means. Anyways, she would like to start making some other stuff other than bows to sell also. Since she is new to all of this and has a ton of money invested in ribbon already, she's looking for something that is quick and has a good turn over. Do you ladies have any ideas from experience? I told her maybe some toggle headbands and woven headbands. Is there anything else maybe for tweens that does well but isn't hard or expensive to make.

Cristi
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 11-22-2009, 12:49

Default Re: Desperately need ideas for show other than bows

I find that I sell less bows at shows than other stuff. The bows I do sell are solids and then korkers as well. I sell A LOT of clippies, and those are super easy to make. I'm just now offering toggle headbands, and haven't had them at a show but I'm hoping they sell at the one I have on the 12th!
I'm thinking instead of just trying to sell the bows, to make a set (i.e. headband, bow, flower, clip) and see how that goes.
This isn't such a good season for bows. Not many people are going to give a bow as a gift. BC Necklaces on the other hand are good for a gift.

Hope she finds something she likes to do! Kufi's are a big seller for me right now since it's finally starting to get cold (every other day).
Maybe she should do some of them...
Old 11-22-2009, 04:38

Have you tried making the glass tile necklaces? Kim Raybon on here does group buys for the supplies, and they are SOOOOO easy to make and turn out SO dang cute!! I would for sure try doing those. HTH
Old 11-22-2009, 06:05

She doesn't really resin very well. She was trying to do her own caps and it wasn't working out so well. Now I do all of her caps. I don't think she could do the glass tiles or scrabble tiles!

Cristi
Old 11-22-2009, 08:07

You don't have to use resin for the tile necklaces. I have been using 3D crystal laquer. They are so easy that I taught a bunch of teen girls (YOUNG teen girls!) to do them and they turned out really well! you CAN use resin if you want, but I've had good luck wiht the 3d stuff.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahomommyof4 View Post
You don't have to use resin for the tile necklaces. I have been using 3D crystal laquer. They are so easy that I taught a bunch of teen girls (YOUNG teen girls!) to do them and they turned out really well! you CAN use resin if you want, but I've had good luck wiht the 3d stuff.

You should teach me how to make them, too
Old 11-22-2009, 08:49

They are so easy You just need glass tiles, 3d Crystal Laquer, your choice of bail, e6000 glue & your choice of necklace (ribbon, cord, etc.). Take the 3d crystal lacquer and spread a layer of it on the textured side of the glass tile. Take your glass tile and place it (laquer-side down) on your choice of scrapbook paper, chiyogami (origami) paper, or even fabric. I have a friend who gets teeny tiny dried flowers and uses them too and they are really pretty. At this point, push down firmly (on like a self-healing cutting mat) to get all the air bubbles out. Keep the glass tile on the shole piece of paper or fabric it's on. Flip it right side up (then the glue soaks thru the paper or fabric a little & is more exposed to the air & dries a little faster). Let dry completely. When it's dry, flip over so you can see your paper/fabric through the tile, place on a self-healing cutting mat and using an exacto knife, cut at about a 45 degree angle & cut the paper off. If there's extra dried laquer on the side of the glass tile, you can use the exacto knife to scrape it off easily. Apply another thin layer (completely & over the edges of your fabric/paper) of 3d laquer. Let dry completely. Then use your e6000 glue and apply a little to your bail (aanraku-style works best). Attach your bail to the BACK of your glass tile. Allow to dry completely. Thread through your necklace of choice and you are done. Word of advice, before you go pick out paper or fabric to do this, make sure you take a tile along with you so you can be sure your image fits in it just right. I use the 1" tiles. You can also get 7/8" tiles and also rectangle-shaped ones. HTH!!
Old 11-22-2009, 08:56

So you sew at all? You can make bow boards and holders, paci holders, woven and braided head bands, sew two pieces of ribbon to make headband covers, tote bags, diaper cases, ferry wands, key fobs, custom make your streamer while you wait. I hope that I am helping.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:57

Quote:
They are so easy You just need glass tiles, 3d Crystal Laquer, your choice of bail, e6000 glue & your choice of necklace (ribbon, cord, etc.). Take the 3d crystal lacquer and spread a layer of it on the textured side of the glass tile. Take your glass tile and place it (laquer-side down) on your choice of scrapbook paper, chiyogami (origami) paper, or even fabric. I have a friend who gets teeny tiny dried flowers and uses them too and they are really pretty. At this point, push down firmly (on like a self-healing cutting mat) to get all the air bubbles out. Keep the glass tile on the shole piece of paper or fabric it's on. Flip it right side up (then the glue soaks thru the paper or fabric a little & is more exposed to the air & dries a little faster). Let dry completely. When it's dry, flip over so you can see your paper/fabric through the tile, place on a self-healing cutting mat and using an exacto knife, cut at about a 45 degree angle & cut the paper off. If there's extra dried laquer on the side of the glass tile, you can use the exacto knife to scrape it off easily. Apply another thin layer (completely & over the edges of your fabric/paper) of 3d laquer. Let dry completely. Then use your e6000 glue and apply a little to your bail (aanraku-style works best). Attach your bail to the BACK of your glass tile. Allow to dry completely. Thread through your necklace of choice and you are done. Word of advice, before you go pick out paper or fabric to do this, make sure you take a tile along with you so you can be sure your image fits in it just right. I use the 1" tiles. You can also get 7/8" tiles and also rectangle-shaped ones. HTH!!
Sweet! Thanks! I'm normally a visual person but this was pretty easy to understand. Now lets see if I can get it right...lol
Where's the best place to get the tiles?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:13

Quote:
I can't wait to try this!

Christi, the teens around here love just lined alligator clips, or with added bling. They also like the bitty bows and mini tuxedo bows. Streamers and anything BIG are always good too! Big stacked bows(I only make these when requested), or big cheer bows, or even 3" ribbon twisted boutiques, etc... Depending on the sizes of ribbon she has, there are a few different things she can try if she wants to keep using the ribbon.
Or :
Since your friend has a lot invested in ribbon already, maybe should could destash some and try applique shirts and onesies (The markup can be low or high on these so she can play with the price for each show).
HTH
Sponsored Links