New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-13-2009, 12:45

Default Am I missing something?

Iv seen sooo many tutus on etsy that say "This is a SEWN tutu, not tied" but the pictures look liked a tied tutu to me. Am I missing something here? How are they "sewn"?
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 11-13-2009, 12:55

Default Re: Am I missing something?

I've wondered that too.....I've only made tied ones, but have seen many that look exactly like my tied ones but they say they are sewn!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 01:04

I know what you mean....I think the process of sewing a tutu still involves putting a bunch of strips next to each other so it still has that stripey look at the waistband, unless they cover it with something. It's hard to tell the difference.
I was thinking the other day...because I tie mine, I don't sew them....a lot of people expect the tutu to be more durable since it's sewn but honestly, how durable could something be if it's made out of tulle??? I tie my knots tight enough to where you have a better chance of the tulle ripping than the knots coming undone, kwim? Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnponders View Post
I find people mean one of 2 things when they say that. 1) They are on an elastic waistband not a ribbon that is tied around the waist. 2) The tulle is sewn to the waistband not just tied around it.

I think most of us associate a sewn tutu with the latter but it's a big strange world out there.
I dident even think about the first one
Old 11-13-2009, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyeliza View Post
I know what you mean....I think the process of sewing a tutu still involves putting a bunch of strips next to each other so it still has that stripey look at the waistband, unless they cover it with something. It's hard to tell the difference.
I was thinking the other day...because I tie mine, I don't sew them....a lot of people expect the tutu to be more durable since it's sewn but honestly, how durable could something be if it's made out of tulle??? I tie my knots tight enough to where you have a better chance of the tulle ripping than the knots coming undone, kwim? Just my 2 cents.
I feel the same way about people assuming a sewn one would hold up better.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:33

Quote:
I had someone email me asking is this a sewn tutu or the crappy ones that fall apart. I don't loop mine I tie an actual knot but people still think the sewn holds better. I've done it both ways and honestly I can't get my tutu really fluffy when I sew it like when I knot them on. KWIM? I even tried 4 layers and it still wasn't really fluffy.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof3princesses View Post
I had someone email me asking is this a sewn tutu or the crappy ones that fall apart. I don't loop mine I tie an actual knot but people still think the sewn holds better. I've done it both ways and honestly I can't get my tutu really fluffy when I sew it like when I knot them on. KWIM? I even tried 4 layers and it still wasn't really fluffy.
that's kind of a rude question for someone to ask! I would be pretty offended....actually I am offended because I make the same kind!
I have a 3 year old niece who owns several of mine and plays dress-up in them daily and they have held up just fine. They may get a little wrinkled, but that would happen with one of the sewn ones too.
I tried sewing one once and it looked like crap...I couldn't get it fluffy and it just looked like a sad mess. haha. I don't know how they get them so full by sewing them.
My "crappy" tied tutus sell just fine and I haven't had any complaints that they've fallen apart.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:47

I make tied tutus and I personally prefer it that way. I had a lady at a craft show tell me she prefers this too b/c the sewn ones come apart at the waistband. She said her dd has a ton of both kinds (she bought three from me!) but preferred tied.

I think it's all just preference. I'd be pretty peeved if someone said that to me.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:56

Quote:
that's kind of a rude question for someone to ask! I would be pretty offended....actually I am offended because I make the same kind!
I have a 3 year old niece who owns several of mine and plays dress-up in them daily and they have held up just fine. They may get a little wrinkled, but that would happen with one of the sewn ones too.
I tried sewing one once and it looked like crap...I couldn't get it fluffy and it just looked like a sad mess. haha. I don't know how they get them so full by sewing them.
My "crappy" tied tutus sell just fine and I haven't had any complaints that they've fallen apart.
Oh I can't even tell you how much that question upset me. I had to just try and be professional in my email back stating that my tutus have held up to my 3 girls no problem! I have a 5 month old, 2 year old, and 3 year old who all have numerous tutus that have held up fine! I couldn't ever imagine asking someone that and the question was worded sooooooo wrong! I never heard back from her. I love them and so have all of my customers. We'll stick with our "crappy tutus"! LOL!!! I cannot figure out how to get the sewn ones fluffy. Mine just layed flat and I couldn't get it to puff up. I have tried to get one of my knots apart and I couldn't get it. I ended up cutting off the strip and using new ones.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:02

When I sew them, I use a Blanket Edging satin band that is 2.5 times the size I want the finished waist to be, cut the tulle to the size I want and sew it to ONE SIDE of the opened Edging then I sew it completely together and it is a casing leaving a spot open and threading the elastic in and sew it closed so basically is like making a regular skirt made out of tulle. I dont think they last any longer than the tied way.....tulle is fragile and it rips even if you get them in stores, they rip very easily
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif