Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-09-2009, 10:46

Default Starch or No Starch???

Ladies

I'm very new here and new to bow making. I would like to know if you put any starch on a boutique bow or not? The loops seem to flop right after I make them and glue them to the clip. Just wandering.

Also, does anyone know if you should buy instructions or not for bowmaking? Do you really need the templates?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2009, 11:00

Default Re: Starch or No Starch???

I do not starch my bows. I have thought about do it though...i guess I am just to lazy

I dont really think you need to buy instructions, there really arent many that you cant get free on either this site, girlythings.com or some other sites...at least for basic bows and such

I do buy ribbon sculptures and things like that though

I bought the NBNG templates and find them really helpful for at least a few bows I make that I was having difficulty with before. They really help in getting the loops perfectly even.

Krista
Old 11-09-2009, 11:10

I had the same question about starching the boutique bows, mine too flop afterwards. So I am curious to see everyone's thoughts or any advice.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:15

bumping this one up!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:18

I swear by the NBNG templates, too. As for starch, I starch all of my bows with a solution of 50% sta-flo (you can find it at Walmart with the starches) and 50% distilled water (you could use tap water). Works great!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:35

I bake and then starch all my bows. I'm very new to this too, and I swear it makes them look so much better. It also gives me peace of mind to know that once someone has worn their bow a few times it's not going to take on a completely different shape.

I bought a ton of instructions when I first started. Most of them were useless or difficult to follow. The things I can't live without now are the Brilliant Bowmaker twisted template, the No Bow No Go templates, and the Gator Bite. They'll turn anyone into a decent bowmaker!!
Sponsored Links